collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?  (Read 18975 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: My Elk Season Fitness, is it enough?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Keep in mind why your getting in shape.....its not to pack x amount of weight or run x amount of miles....

My only requirement is you can keep your head in the game and have fun...that takes more physical training for some then others

:yeah:   I think your on the right track Cab. You know the type of hunt and terrain better than the rest of us. There has been some great advice given in this thread already. My mindset is I can never be in too good of shape, and FOR ME keeping a training regimen throughout the year is a integral part of my feeling of being "lethal" in the elk woods. But I know plenty of stud elk hunters that never touch a weight or run a mile.

Right now if I am hiking its with weight. I am also anticipating more bicycle seat time than I have done in several years, so I have added alot of rides with hill climbs or a loaded trailer. Running bores me quickly, but I like to mix in some runs anyway. Keep all the other stuff fresh. I typically only do a really long duration of anything once a week. The rest of the time I usually get warm and then hit high intensity and hold it there for as long as I can. For me I get more out of a 45 minute blow out in long term gains, than a 4 hour hike where I never feel challenged.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »
The big thing for me is to not under estimate the size of an elk. I know how much it can be a chore to get a whitetail out of the woods, now I'm looking at killing an animal that everything weight 3 times more. I never want to put myself in a situation that I feel like I can't physically can't get that animal out of the woods properly. I know all to well how day dreaming compared to reality can be a slap in the face. I've watched a number of guys shoot moose back home and you can just see their face go from excitement to concern when they walk up to that animal and have to think about getting that meat out. I just want to know my limits so that in the end I can have fun by focusing on the hunt and not worrying as much about whats going to happen after I let my arrow fly if I get the chance.

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
Cab, how old are you?

ElkNut1

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »
Cab, how old are you?

ElkNut1

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:34:42 PM by Cab »

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
Personally I have had to pack a couple elk out by myself a couple times and a couple mule deer. Elk the farthest was probably 2 miles the deer twice that. Learn how to de bone them. It's tough it worth it. Wear a heavy pack up hills for training. Heavier that's you would in the hills. You won't regret it. It might be hot to that doesn't help. Good luck have fun

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
I agree with put your pack together, and go as if hunting.  Take some blunts and stump shoot.  Simulated hunting is the best prep for real hunting.  I'd also recommend developing an interest in fishing high lakes, a great way to motivate yourself to hike in to some mountain locations. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »
For me, I never train with more than 50#, most work is in the 30-50# range.  I have found that if I can ruck 12 miles in 3.5 hours with 40-50, it is no trouble to jump up to as much as double that for a hunting trip.  My theory is that injury is part of training - it will happen.  That said, the more weight you ruck with, the greater the probability for injury and the severity and I think there is a point where the odds really stack up.

If I walk with no weight, the odds of injury are very close to 0%.  If I ruck uneven ground with 100#, the odds are certainly much higher.  I can't catch myself if I get off balance, so I'll twist or go down much more often.  Additionally, if I twist my ankle with light weight it usually is no big deal, no injury.  If I do it with 100#, it usually is at least a mild injury, often a significant injury.

So, for me, I haven't found much benefit to going over 50# while the risk goes up.  I will do a few scouting or hiking trips with more weight just due to the gear I am carrying, but it will be a few times a year vs several times a week in training.

That's what works for me, at my age with my experience.
I have to agree with Stein here.  Some of you guys are still pretty young, and running around with 100lb packs is no big deal.  When you start getting some miles on your body you well find that doing that for anything other than quarters just isn't worth the risk.  Now I know some if you may think that is a copout, but I can assure you that it isn't.  With proper training I really don't see it as a necessity.  I don't train with much more than fifty lbs in my pack, and I can hold my own with most anyone when it comes to getting my ass up a mountain under load.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »
The big thing for me is to not under estimate the size of an elk. I know how much it can be a chore to get a whitetail out of the woods, now I'm looking at killing an animal that everything weight 3 times more. I never want to put myself in a situation that I feel like I can't physically can't get that animal out of the woods properly. I know all to well how day dreaming compared to reality can be a slap in the face. I've watched a number of guys shoot moose back home and you can just see their face go from excitement to concern when they walk up to that animal and have to think about getting that meat out. I just want to know my limits so that in the end I can have fun by focusing on the hunt and not worrying as much about whats going to happen after I let my arrow fly if I get the chance.

You are on the right track! :tup: keep doing what your doing and just remember a load at a time.

Also maybe not related directly to fitness, but I have started using trekking poles on all my pack out, and they are a huge benefit imo. I would highly recommend  stuffing some in your pack if you havent already.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:17 AM »

You are a smart guy, I remember walking up to my first (and only) bull and wondering why the elk turned into a horse.  That said, it comes apart the exact same way and I had really no problem taking it apart myself.  Yes, the quarters are larger and heavier, but it is entirely doable.  You just have more trips to the truck, 5ish instead of 2ish for a deer on your back.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
Great advice in this thread for anyone wanting to get into hunting shape.

To simulate carrying your bow just take a 7 pound dumbbell with you, you won't get as many funny looks as you do with the bow.

Definitely hike with the pack and boots that you will be wearing and have at least 40-50 pounds in the pack.

Trekking poles are great.

Also the comment about hiking at the same elevation you are going to hunt at is a great idea as well.

Sounds like you are on track, good luck out there this year.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 09:15:43 AM »
You are a smart guy, I remember walking up to my first (and only) bull and wondering why the elk turned into a horse.  That said, it comes apart the exact same way and I had really no problem taking it apart myself.  Yes, the quarters are larger and heavier, but it is entirely doable.  You just have more trips to the truck, 5ish instead of 2ish for a deer on your back.
im not trying to get into pissing match, merely trying to show a difference in the training, based on the hunts. the reason some people might be training with 100lbs, is because 5 trips for 1 bull in not feasible. the last bull i packed out, 5 trips would have been over 80 miles. 40 of those under load.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
My philosophy, practice/ train as if it were game time. Do you feel like what you're doing is enough? Do you feel like you have anything left in the tank after training? Are you seriously tracking forward progress? In my experience things are always harder then projected, prepare for the worst and you should do fine. Get your heart rate up and practice shooting with an elevated heart rate. Congrats on dropping some lb's, keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
At 31 years old, do what you're doing by getting your weight down & a moderate full body work out program,. You don't need to do anything superman style for your age, you have youth in your corner. At 50 years old & older you would require a different program & mindset. Do not over think it, you will do fine with a moderate workout & weight control!

ElkNut1

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
im not trying to get into pissing match, merely trying to show a difference in the training, based on the hunts. the reason some people might be training with 100lbs, is because 5 trips for 1 bull in not feasible. the last bull i packed out, 5 trips would have been over 80 miles. 40 of those under load.

Walking 80 miles with 40 under load seems more feasible then walking 8 miles with 300-380 pounds of meat,gear,and horns on my back

Hope I'm not coming off as sarcastic, I know you guys train hard to get back in there but what's your plan when a big bull hits the ground ? Some of my bigger bulls have had around 300 pounds of meat on em and another 20-50 of horns depending on if I wanted to keep the skull on.....then add in your general gear...lets not even think about a cape ! So 400 pounds to be packed out.....how do you do it ? Even @ 100 pound loads that's 4 trips under weight...so 8 miles in your looking at 32 miles under a 100 pound load

Even with a couple guys we've always made multiple trips doing a leap frog technique as the terrain isn't conducive super heavy loads, usually once to a trail or road it's horses or mtn bikes

Again hope this doesn't come off as sarcastic, just curious at another perspective

Offline SilkOnTheDrySide

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »

Walking 80 miles with 40 under load seems more feasible then walking 8 miles with 300-380 pounds of meat,gear,and horns on my back

Hope I'm not coming off as sarcastic, I know you guys train hard to get back in there but what's your plan when a big bull hits the ground ? Some of my bigger bulls have had around 300 pounds of meat on em and another 20-50 of horns depending on if I wanted to keep the skull on.....then add in your general gear...lets not even think about a cape ! So 400 pounds to be packed out.....how do you do it ? Even @ 100 pound loads that's 4 trips under weight...so 8 miles in your looking at 32 miles under a 100 pound load

Even with a couple guys we've always made multiple trips doing a leap frog technique as the terrain isn't conducive super heavy loads, usually once to a trail or road it's horses or mtn bikes

Again hope this doesn't come off as sarcastic, just curious at another perspective

I'm not going to say one thing or another on how much meat comes off a typical bull elk...but THIS elk FTF is talking about had 225 lbs of boned out meat. We did it in two trips. This was verified with a luggage scale at the TH.

And here's a realistic moment and a testament to why it's important to train with higher weights IMO. We trained with 100+ during the offseason, loaded up the first load to what we felt was close to 80-85 and they ended up being like 60...

And we were smoked.

Train how you feel comfortable, but IMO push your body to its limit.

My favorite quote that I found this year really speaks volumes on this topic, and it's been a driving point for me this year.

"If Misery doesn't find you in the preparation, it will find you on the Mountain."

Good luck, train hard, and slay em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]