collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Most points without a draw??  (Read 16987 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Most points without a draw??
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Poacher points are stupid! Give them a reward or something not a leg up on the rest of us trying to draw playing their game

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
People on here talk like their high point totals should insure that they draw their preferred hard to draw tag choice, but the simple fact is that the Washington draw system is a lottery, all you get for your points is more tickets in the draw, no guaranteed draws like preference point systems, it is strictly the "LUCK" of the draw. Only 2 ways to fix the system at all, 1. Less names in the draw, 2. more tags available.

Edit for spelling.

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 10:29:02 PM »
People on here talk like their high point totals should insure that they draw their preferred hard to draw tag choice, but the simple fact is that the Washington draw system is a lottery, all you get for your points is more tickets in the draw, no guaranteed draws like preference point systems, it is strictly the "LUCK" of the draw. Only 2 ways to fix the system at all, 1. Less names in the draw, 2. more tags available.

Edit for spelling.

There is a 3rd way similar to what Oregon, Utah, Colorado, & Wyoming does is give the tags to the people with the most points.  :tup:  :chuckle:

Offline winshooter88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 12:29:28 AM »
Actually, that doesn't work, when the GMAC group looked at the points system a couple years ago that was one of the ideas, but with the limited amount of tags available overall and the number of people in the "high point category" giving a percentage, say 25% of the available tags to the highest point holders would just be a feel good move as they already draw that amount or more in most draws. Plus the fact that people enter the group faster than they go out of it even if you gave 50% to the high point holders the group would only keep getting larger. This would also be unfair to the people just getting started because they would have even less chance of drawing any special tags in the system.  :bdid:

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:16 AM »
Actually, that doesn't work, when the GMAC group looked at the points system a couple years ago that was one of the ideas, but with the limited amount of tags available overall and the number of people in the "high point category" giving a percentage, say 25% of the available tags to the highest point holders would just be a feel good move as they already draw that amount or more in most draws. Plus the fact that people enter the group faster than they go out of it even if you gave 50% to the high point holders the group would only keep getting larger. This would also be unfair to the people just getting started because they would have even less chance of drawing any special tags in the system.  :bdid:

The people just getting started? Many of those people have drawn a tag & are starting over with no points. I've drawn the quality Bull tag three times! How is that fair to someone setting there with 22 points who has never drawn?  Everyone should have their first tag before someone gets a second one. That's fair.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »

The people just getting started? Many of those people have drawn a tag & are starting over with no points. I've drawn the quality Bull tag three times! How is that fair to someone setting there with 22 points who has never drawn?  Everyone should have their first tag before someone gets a second one. That's fair.

Its pretty easy to say its fair. obviously the person with 22 points is putting in for extremely hard to draw permits.

Since 2010 you have drawn quality bull? pm me what unit please!
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 09:01:17 AM »
Some people apply only for the hunts with impossible odds of drawing. That's why in 22 years they have never drawn a special permit.

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
NR special pernits are limited to 10% or less in most states so your odds aren't always better. Now idaho residents have pretty good odds at some good tags! I bet there's quite a few tags in idaho that are better than washington quality hunts and easier to draw, even as a NR.
I don't like to spread this word too much but my odds of drawing a sheep tag in most units are better than drawing most of the premium deer, elk or really any buck antelope tags here in Idaho as a resident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as you're willing to forgo applying for any deer, elk, or antelope tags in your state until you kill your sheep.

I applied for sheep this year, I didn't draw but I also have an any bull elk tag, 2 deer tags and an antelope tag, and may end up with a 3rd deer tag if I want to spend the bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline G-S

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
How did you get an antelope tag if you put in for sheep

Offline Roperfive88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »

"Everyone should have their first tag before someone gets a second one. That's fair."  This is an impossible to fulfill statements even if this were done there would be people that would never draw under this thinking. People need to quit thinking that it is a right to draw a premium tag because I have been applying forever and have some points. It is not possible for everyone.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
The Washington point system is false hope.  The only way point systems work is if there are enough tags to cycle all the applicants through, e.g. Wyoming, where there are only a handful of big game units where point creep will occur indefinitely.  Otherwise, over the long run, whether preference points or bonus points, the average age of successful applicants will get older and older, until the maximum "applicant lifetime" is exceeded by the age of the system.  I figure applicant lifetime is around 50 years or less, as most hunters hunt less than 50 years over a lifetime.

If the odds to draw are less than 2%, there is no logical reason to expect to draw a permit over a lifetime no matter how many points you have.  At least with the Washington special permits lottery, your odds increase the longer you play, but it's still a lottery.  When we had just one category per species, a hunter could decide to put in for meat, a less crowded but not great easy to draw permit, or to hold out for long odds.  Now that we have four different categories, we get to spend four times as much for what are now much more lotteries in all categories.  The easier the hunt you put in for was to draw under the one per species option, the more screwed you got with the multiple categories.     
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »
12 pts quality elk

Online andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF