collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New deer hunter advice  (Read 7997 times)

Offline ZagHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New deer hunter advice
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:22:38 PM »
I'm a rather new hunter.  I've turkey hunted for a number of years, but have never gotten into deer hunting.  I went a few times with my grandpa probably 15-20 years ago as a kid but found it tough to get into with football and school going on.  Now that I'm done with school and am working I'd like to get more into the sport.

My question is when you first got into deer hunting, what are some things you did to learn more about it and become a better hunter?  Are there any books, seminars, instructional DVDs, etc. that people found helpful?  Obviously I understand there is no substitute for experience, but is there anything I can be doing now to make myself a better hunter?

Finally, any tips from more experienced hunters that they wish they knew when they were first starting out?

If this has been discussed already in another thread, please feel free to point me in that direction.  Any advice is appreciated though.  Thanks.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: New deer hunter advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
When on foot...go slow,  then go even slower.

Offline cooltimber

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:23 PM »
stop look listen--repeat
 glass glass ---repeat
wind
rvn 69-70 11 b 2p 173rd
rmef
  2 ways to conquer and enslave a nation
      one's by sword,the other is by debt.
               John Adams

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:01 PM »
The whole move slow thing and then move even slower is true.  Definitely move, look, move, look.

You have lots of time to make a good shot.  Make sure it is a good shot.  Once you shoot it is normally chaos after that.  I didn't learn how much time you actually have until I started hunting with my kids.  The amount of time that a deer stands there while I am trying to get them ready to shoot is unbelievable.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
Be patient. Getting to the next spot should never be a priority. There was a time when I thought hiking the next ridge was always the best idea. Staying put was lazy right? I felt like the option that took the most effort would be the most productive option. Now I've learned that it's not only ok, but wise, to stay put longer.
Expect animals when you least expect it.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:05:44 PM »
Depends on where your hunting and what deer your after.

Offline ZagHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. This is helpful.

Fishngamereaper, I plan on hunting either GMU 124 or 121 for whitetails.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
Spend as much time as you can in the woods between now and season that you can. You will learn lots by just being out there and then implement everything said  above during season. Good luck.

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 05:03:15 PM »
couple tips that I learned over the years:

1. if its before the rut, come mid day expect deer to be bedded down. This is a good time for you to make a new game plan, go to a new spot and figure out your evening hunt.
2. Acorns,Acrons,Acrons deer LOVE White oak acorns and this can be a great way to narrow down hunting spots. Is there a lot of acorn trees in this area or just 1? look for areas with a fair about of acorn trees all dropping.
3. bedding is HUGE, deer like elk like to bed down on hillsides 1/2-3/4 of the way up to the top this way they can use the thermal currents(day warms up, heat rises and so does scent) to smell whats below them. knowing this start your predicting where you think the deer are going to go. If its 7-9 in the morning I know that deer are starting to stage towards their bedding area.
4. treestands will completely change things for you. Hang ons are nice but I honestly pick my climber everytime. I have a summit viper and man is that a comfortable stand. Deer don't have any predators from above(other then humans so seasoned deer might look up if they've been shot at that year) so being 15-20ft above them makes a very big difference. its not a must but helps.
5. if you spook deer watch where they go! they are running to a place they deem "safe" this can tell you maybe where a bedding area is or where they like to hang out.
6.glassing areas before season starts if you can(fields or open country) at the start of the day or end of day and this may give you some useful intel where to start hunting.
7. if you see a deer stamp its foot and "blow"(often a doe) DO NOT MOVE. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE A SHOT. That means they know something isn't kosher. they will even do a fake where they lower they're heads to "feed" but then jerk it back up. this is a test, they are seeing if you are going to move. be patient if you can wait till the deers head goes behind a tree before drawing or aiming.
8. Deer don't see color all that well, what they do see well is movement!
9.So what deer lack in sight they make up for 10 fold with their nose. dont get caught up in the whole "scent control" bs just know your wind direction. know where your odor is going and make sure you maximize the area where the wind is coming from.
10. Once you have your first deer in sight the best thing you can do is breath, relax, stay focused and most of all PICK A SPOT!! Do look at the head gear don't look at the whole deer, just follow that front leg up to about center just above where their leg meets the body and focus on hitting that spot. I can't tell you how many deer I have missed that were "easy shots" because I didn't focus.
11. get ready for one of the most frustrating yet funnest addictions there is! Work hard, have fun and dont worry about score or anything. Just enjoy it all.

I could do this all day so feel free to hit me up with a PM if you have any questions I would be more then happy to help the best I can. If you want a great source pick up Steven rinellas book " The Complete Guide To Hunting,Butchering and cooking wild game vol.1"  that will have everything you will need to know and it cost less then $20
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:18:20 PM by Cab »

Offline ZagHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 07:55:16 AM »
Thanks everyone!  All very helpful.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »
My experience with whiteys comes from NH and ME, but I think it applies with NW whiteys, too. They're very patternable and also very curious. If you spook one and he just ambles away (as opposed to crashing out and bounding off at a high rate of speed), there's a good chance he'll come back. If you have trail cams and can see their activity, you can go to the same places and ambush them, especially with tree stands. Check your backtrail frequently. More than once, larger bucks have hidden themselves as I've walked by and then crossed the path I just cut, sometimes on their elbows. Rutting whiteys aren't very bright but the does will be. As said before, if they blow at you or see you, freeze and wait. They have a short attention span.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
The only advice I have is that forky deer that feed on agriculture fields are sure tasty.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
Best advice I can give is for the new guy to start hunting in other states.  There are other states where you can go hunt antlerless deer for a very reasonable price and you will gain valuable experience by getting a few deer under your belt. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
Avoid walking on trails or logging roads when possible. Instead walk to the side of them, off trail.  It is amazing how many animals will be 40 yards or less off to the side of a major trail or road and let people walk right by them.
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline TL23

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
Be Patient!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]