collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got a drone for Dad’s Day? There’s an angry buzz about where to fly them  (Read 2396 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
I think they're pretty cool and would own one had I extra money to spend.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DanielLee5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
I find the fact that drones are flying around and filming everything rather annoying, too. Moreover, drones might become even dangerous in the hands of inexperienced users, they can easily to harm to someone. I used to think that drones are nothing but expensive toys for teenagers, until my younger brother bought one huh. Now I want a drone too :) Preferably DJI Phantom 4 Pro  as it has excellent characteristics. Under characteristics I mean flying time and camera quality. 30 minutes of fly is a rather decent time, none of the existing drones can beat this record. The price is not cheap at all, but rather affordable if you're a fan of remote control toys. Here is a great post revealing modern drones and comparing the latest models of 2017, rather informative.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
I use mine for work all the time.  Clients love them.  Especially those that aren't local to the build.

Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
I had a phantom 3 pro 2 months ago, quickly realized it was big and bulk and made it difficult to pack around.  I upgraded to a Mavic pro.  Hell of a rig.  fast and fun you you want to buzz around.  super range, great 4k camera.  Had it a month, flew it a number of times, got some great Mt Rainier sunrises.  Then it got cold/wet and it sat.  Realized I had much better things to spend $900+ on and sold it.  Sometimes I wish I had it when I see a really killer sunrise/sunset, but usually I am already going someplace and would not have the time to stop, deploy and shoot anyway so...

I will recommend the Mavic over the phantom just for the sheer portability, it is honestly incredibly small.  I had the fly more package and it all fit into a bag a little bigger around than a 1# propane camp bottle.  I had mine over 1800ft away from me, completely out of my sight and down below treeline so no direct LOS and it was still solid signal.  The mavic also has new props available from the platinum version that are a couple Db quieter but more importantly the pitch is lower and far less annoying.

If you have free time on your hands, enjoy any sort of photography it could be a great fit.  Or if you are travelling often to places with great scenery.  Just realize, they are prohibited in all national parks, to the tune of losing your drone and hefty ($1k?) fine.  Many other places also prohibit them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]