collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: chainsaw sharpening  (Read 8247 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
chainsaw sharpening
« on: June 22, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »
I've never been good with a hand file, what you all use for sharpening in the field?   I see some neat doodads but don't want to waste my money.  I have some experience logging, was a landing rat and hook tender on a high lead but my sharpening skills with hand files were abysmal and still are.

Thanks!

Oh I just picked up a new 372 XP with 28" bar for some homeowner loggin and mill work :tup:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: chainsaw sharpening
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
Sharpening a saw is pretty straight forward.  The key is to not run it down to dull. I touch mine up when I feel it start to work harder.  Couple strokes on each tooth and shes ready to rock.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »
I've never been good with a hand file, what you all use for sharpening in the field?   I see some neat doodads but don't want to waste my money.  I have some experience logging, was a landing rat and hook tender on a high lead but my sharpening skills with hand files were abysmal and still are.

Thanks!

Oh I just picked up a new 372 XP with 28" bar for some homeowner loggin and mill work :tup:
I have a 272xp, I bought from a member here with a 36in bar on it and it is a wood eating mule. You will love that 372.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
use the regular file. Look for a line on the teeth and try to keep your file on the same angle. My rule of thumb is I quickly sharpen the chain between every tank of gas. just enough to remove any burs or dings and brighten up the tooth. Also, run a skip tooth so you can sharpen it faster. The safety chains are a bitch to sharpen. Use a flat file to flatten the rakers about every three or four tanks.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
last time I tried to hand file saws I was getting yelled at by the foreman.  I dunno if I push too hard or don't keep consistent stroke angles or what the deal is, when I'm done I cut circles.

but then there weren't any laser lines on the teeth to follow either

Online andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
Tagging

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:50:09 PM »
Try using a fIle guide. Takes lots of practice to get the angles right without using a guide. I'm one of those firm believers in file guides and still use them on a regular basis.

Use both hands to guide the file while sharpening.

One way you can practice sharpening is by rocking the saw or putting the saw in the dirt dulls it real fast and sharpen er back up.

With rakers, use a raker guage.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
Don't get it super dull before you file it. I do a quick touch up about every tank. Just a couple strokes per cutter. And it doesn't take a lot of pressure.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:17:50 AM by fish vacuum »

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
If the file isn't new it's hard to get a good sharp chain. Buy a box and chuck the file when it stop cutting good. 2-3 sharpening is about all I want from a file.
 After that is a wast of time. :bash:
I'm not sure.

Online CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
It takes to long to file in the field. Carry an extra chain and swap if you ground one otherwise a sharp chain will last all day. Once back at your shop, use a chain grinder. I bought my Oregon grinder online for $300. It will pay for itself real quick if you cutting chains for a 28" bar. If an Oregon is more than you want to spend Harbor Freight puts a crappy one on sale for around $30 that will do the job.

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
It takes to long to file in the field. Carry an extra chain and swap if you ground one

Sure an extra chain is smart, but it only takes a few minutes to sharpen a chain with a hand file and less when your getting yelled at or the skidder is allready back lol.

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:18:22 PM »
 Cut 3/4 way threw a round of wood, that way you can lay the bar in there while you sharpen. I sit on/straddle the powerhead. Equal amount of strokes per side.Level strokes aligned with the mark on the tooth. It's not difficult, but like anything you will get better with practice... Buy a new chain and run it without hitting the dirt, that way you know how it should cut... every time it isint cutting as well.. sharpen. Most of the time you can get a few tanks before needing to sharpen.

The 372xp is a great saw that is pretty light and good power. I want one.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:32:39 PM by TommyH »

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:20:15 PM »
if you are "cutting in a circle" one side is sharper than the other, are you counting your file strokes and doing the same on both sides? Match the existing before its dull as hell. Otherwise change chains, leave 2-3 at the saw shop, when your are dull take the dull ones in get the sharp ones, two or three should run quite a while.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal