collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should WA completely do away with the current points system, and do 1 name in the hat, per species, per year, per applicant

YES
86 (44.1%)
NO
100 (51.3%)
Do not care either way.
9 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 195

Voting closed: June 24, 2018, 03:53:38 PM

Author Topic: Should the WA special draw POINTS system be done away with (POLL)  (Read 13692 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Should the WA special draw POINTS system be done away with (POLL)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
It'll have to be a similar revenue based system. No way they are getting away from all the separate categories. It's just too much revenue for them to turn away from.

You could still have multi-season and doe tags.  Deer/elk/etc... could be one name in the hat and list your 4 choices in order.  This poll is strictly regarding the points system (at least that's what I'm trying for).

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
Questions probably a little to simple. For example if its to phase it out over time. I would say yes. Then I'd just hold on to my ten points I have as a non resident and apply years from now when that ten points is up around max. If it's just dropping the points one day guys like me probably could take it or leave it but residents with 20+ will never let go if that investment

It's meant to be simple... like the draw should be.  ;)

"Completely do away with the current system" is about as clear as I could be. 

If the public majority voted to do away with the current system, then those sitting on 20 points would have to accept it. :dunno:   This is one of the reasons for starting this poll, just to gauge the opinion of the majority.

Got it. Might add a third option "good either way"for the folks like me. May paint a fuller picture. Might be suprized the votes that one gets too

I appreciate the input, but I want a simple poll.  Basically a "keep the points system OR do away with it". 

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 04:44:47 PM »
I get it. I'm just saying there's likely a very large group out there not as polarized on the issue so the poll here really won't represent the entirety of the group of participants. If you were to actually want to use a tool like this to change policy state agencies have to take into account the whole user groups temp on the issue

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
I don't know what the people with the power to change the system would change it for. I don't think the state sees any issue with the way it's run now.

Leaving the state out of it, the reason for this poll is because of the large amount of threads that recently started regarding the WA points system.   A bunch of people are complaining about it, so I figured why not see what the real majority (of HW anyway) would prefer.  This poll should take the place of endless pages of threads rambling on and getting diluted to crazy ideas...  It's just to get an idea on what the majority wants: Points system the way it is, OR, done away with and 1 chance per applicant.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
I get it. I'm just saying there's likely a very large group out there not as polarized on the issue so the poll here really won't represent the entirety of the group of participants. If you were to actually want to use a tool like this to change policy state agencies have to take into account the whole user groups temp on the issue

Ok, I see what you are saying.  I will add the option.  Thanks.

It should be noted, there are 13 YES and 8 NO at the time I added the "don't care either way" option.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 04:55:23 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see a dead heat on the original 2 options by the time its over. Taking guys like me in the third option and adding to whoever up by one can be the tie breaker

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 05:15:22 PM »
What do you mean by only one chance per year? You mean only one species?

1 name in the hat per applicant, per species.  Of course OIL remains OIL, once you draw you're out.

Okay, I'd vote yes then.

:yeah: If they would get back to one app per species I'd be all for it. If not, I don't think so.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 06:00:57 PM »
Yes they should. I sure won't hold my breath though.  I don't think WDFW would ever make a change that would be the right thing to do. Sadly they only care about money and the current system is a cash cow.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »
The notion of being able to apply for ghost points for oil tags for your kids before they are able to walk is absurd and just putting in for ghost points needs to go away completely I'm !

I voted to do away with the points system and level the playing field !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 07:34:35 PM »
No all the way!! If you don't like WA draw system apply in states that have the system you like. If you don't like point systems apply in ID or New Mexico. I can't believe the number of people that want to take points away from others & think this is fair.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 07:35:31 PM »
Points system needs to go away, but I wouldn't favor the rest of your description.  The poll should be a simple yes or no on eliminating the point system.   :twocents:

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 08:14:16 PM »
Points system needs to go away, but I wouldn't favor the rest of your description.  The poll should be a simple yes or no on eliminating the point system.   :twocents:

So if the points system went away, what do you think should happen next?   A one name in the hat, per species, per year, per applicant seems logical.  Other then that it seems there would have to be a "points" system, but under the disguise of a different name...

Offline ScottE

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
I personally like having a slight statistical advantage that my points give me, even though I go to the back of the line when I draw out. And even then there's still a chance to draw with 1 point.
          Even though I keep reading that "my odds get worse every year" my chance of drawing are still better than any one person who has not applied more than me(has less points)
         I think alot of the grumbling is people that feel they should have the right to hunt there local areas or people holding out for very popular tags. I also feel like the average hunter is fine with drawing a cool tag every few years or a cow/doe tag every now and then. Not to mention the fact we can always hunt the general seasons.
        There might come a time when the system needs fixed but i don't think were there yet, in my opinion.
         After all we do live in Washington.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »
I'm voting no because I feel that there are a lot of people who seem to be vested in the current point system. But, if there was a way to reasonabley compensate those people who have been applying for the same hunt every year for the last 20 some years and haven't been drawn, I would be for eliminating the current system.

If it is a revenue thing, who would be willing to pay more for an application if the odds were better? I would.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline ScottE

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »
Oh dont worry if WDFW where to make any changes you will pay more, probably won't ever see better odds though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal