collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Arrow selection for a rookie  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Arrow selection for a rookie
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:29:56 PM »
Getting my first bow here on Friday and arrows are the last thing on my list. For now, might do some upgrades. Got a drop away rest, release, sight, stabilizer, actually need a new peep because I don't want the tube peep. So I was hoping for some arrow suggestions. I'll be shooting at 70lbs 30.5" draw, charts have said to use 250 spine and anywhere from 5-8 grains per pounded draw weight. Any body want to chime in on spine and grain suggestions and what arrows I should look into and what you guys suggest for length. I saw some saying 1" over draw some .5". I'll be almost exclusively hunting elk with my bow. Thanks in advance- Ryan.
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline G-S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Arrow selection for a rookie
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
A 300 spine arrow will work also

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »
Since you're going to hunt your arrows need to be at least 6 grains per pound of draw to be legal. So 420 grains is your aim. I shoot a 30 inch draw and use 30 inch shafts. I dropped down to 66 pounds of draw because the arrow options opened up just more selection in the 340 spine than the stiffer ones. Hope something in there helps.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:51:32 PM »
Thanks a lot guys, that definitely helps.

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »
I would suggest less poundage first. As far as arrows go Easton makes a good arrow and you won't have any issue making the 6 grains per pound. Easton axis or the FMJ would be good choices for elk. Lots of guys shoot gold tip, though they seem to run lighter and you might run into trouble making weight. If you want something economical try bemans. For a hunting arrow I would also look at an arrow that has a straightness of .003 or less. As far as spine goes I would error on a stiffer shaft as well. Cut the length so that it is even or flush with your riser at full draw, a pro shop should be able to help you with that. What bow did you buy?

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
Buck rub (and anybody else interested), here's a link to what I think is one of the best threads on hunting arrow selection out there.  It was launched by a hunter that goes by the name of Beendare on a few of the hunting forums and this cat has some seriously good perspective on what a hunter should consider when building their hunting arrows.  Take a peek and see what you can glean from it.  v/r  RJ

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8504
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 05:32:52 AM »
I would suggest less poundage first. As far as arrows go Easton makes a good arrow and you won't have any issue making the 6 grains per pound. Easton axis or the FMJ would be good choices for elk. Lots of guys shoot gold tip, though they seem to run lighter and you might run into trouble making weight. If you want something economical try bemans. For a hunting arrow I would also look at an arrow that has a straightness of .003 or less. As far as spine goes I would error on a stiffer shaft as well. Cut the length so that it is even or flush with your riser at full draw, a pro shop should be able to help you with that. What bow did you buy?
Thank you! I got the bear authority. Couldn't find a lot of bows that fit my budget with my draw length.

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:33:39 AM »
Buck rub (and anybody else interested), here's a link to what I think is one of the best threads on hunting arrow selection out there.  It was launched by a hunter that goes by the name of Beendare on a few of the hunting forums and this cat has some seriously good perspective on what a hunter should consider when building their hunting arrows.  Take a peek and see what you can glean from it.  v/r  RJ

http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8504
Thank you I'll check that out!

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:17:14 AM »
I have a similar setup to yours and shoot a .300 spine black eagle rampage. The lightweight shaft and the 56 gr outsert give you a higher FOC and better penetration which is key for big animals. My arrows are cut 30" from the valley of the nock. 440gr finished weight and .001" straightness. I don't think you need a 250 spine for your setup and if your are hunting elk I wouldn't want to drop your poundage IF you are strong enough to accurately shoot at 70. You want all the momentum and kinetic energy you can get.

my setup: Bowtech Reign 7, 70lbs comfort setting @ 30.5" draw. Pushing 295 FPS with these arrows.

If its something you're interested in trying, PM me as I have a dozen for sale on the cheap.

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
I have a similar setup to yours and shoot a .300 spine black eagle rampage. The lightweight shaft and the 56 gr outsert give you a higher FOC and better penetration which is key for big animals. My arrows are cut 30" from the valley of the nock. 440gr finished weight and .001" straightness. I don't think you need a 250 spine for your setup and if your are hunting elk I wouldn't want to drop your poundage IF you are strong enough to accurately shoot at 70. You want all the momentum and kinetic energy you can get.

my setup: Bowtech Reign 7, 70lbs comfort setting @ 30.5" draw. Pushing 295 FPS with these arrows.

If its something you're interested in trying, PM me as I have a dozen for sale on the cheap.
70 pounds shouldn't be an issue at all. Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. Once I get my draw length and everything set up I'll let you know about the arrows!

Offline Behervejr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »
Full metal jackets have the highest grain per inch (I think) and combined with the right broadhead and lots of practice, are super deadly.  I used rage broadheads for a while, and nothing ran more than 20-30 yds.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 10:34:14 PM »
Easton FMJ, great arrows.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter