collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Amber's 2015 Bull (Video)  (Read 3937 times)

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Amber's 2015 Bull (Video)
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:24:02 AM »
Finally getting around to posting up a short video of Amber's elk hunt last year. It was the day before Thanksgiving and we had put this bull to bed the evening before. Amber and I bailed off a couple hours before daylight to try to be in position first thing and hopefully get a crack at him. We had a couple buddies several miles away filming us through a spotting scope as the action unfolded.

It was pretty nippy with heavy frost on everything as we make our final stalk. As we army crawled to the last little knoll to hopefully get a shot, we ran into one of his smaller buddies. After an intense stare-down, he went back to feeding and we crawled back around to the opposite side of the knoll... and there was Amber's bull, feeding almost head on at about 90 yards.

As he swung his head back and forth feeding, I told Amber to wait til his antlers were bracketing his chest/shoulder area, hold just in front of the shoulder where it rolls into his chest and touch it off when you're ready. I remember thinking at 16 years old I would have been shaking so hard... but Amber was all business and had already passed up several bulls the day before that were bigger than most people have killed, holding out for one of the better bulls we had seen during scouting.

After what seemed like an eternity, the bull swung into the perfect alignment and I heard Amber flip the safety off (not like it sounds) and waited. As I watched through the binos, Amber slowly squeezed the trigger and the .30-378 Weatherby Mag came to life, sending the 180 grain Nosler Accubond on it's way. At the shot, the bull lurched forward a little, started to turn and then side-pedaled right into the ground. She put it right on the money and he went down like a ton of bricks... absolutely one of the coolest hunts I've ever been on... and even more exciting when it's your 16 year old daughter!

There's a little extra video, but at 51 seconds you can see him jump at the shot and if you look close you can see what I think is moisture spraying up at the impact of the bullet. Then if you listen real close you can hear the shot at 56 seconds, five seconds after the initial jump, as he goes down.

Was an adventure we'll never forget. Amber was a trooper and hung in there through thick and thin. She did most of the break-down of the bull while I held legs and also got to feel the bitter sweet taste of success as she shouldered the head and cape on the Bull Pac for part of the hike out... And she thinks we're just fishing:)

We saw about 125 bulls in five days (three scouting) and she shot one of the top three bulls we saw, and probably the best bull we saw during the two days of hunting. Special thanks to Jason, Cole and Rich for all their help... and especially the pack out, couldn't have done it without them!!!

https://www.facebook.com/945845425445991/videos/1542801259083735/

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Scout
Re: Amber's 2015 Bull (Video)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
At 51 seconds you can see him jump at the shot and you can hear the shot at 56... sorry for all the extra video.

Offline Watimberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »
That is really cool! Congrats to your daughter and everyone involved. :tup:

Offline MuleDeerCrazy

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:02:19 PM »
Thanks, it was a pretty cool daddy/daughter moment!

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Very nice!

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Awesome :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Whitefoot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »
Congrats!   :tup:
Cayusm

Offline willapawapiti

• Scout
  • IAFF Local 2776
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:47:12 PM »
Love it!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »
Congrats to both of you! What a cool experience for all. She set the bar quite high. It doesn't get any better!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal