collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose hunting in 49 degrees north  (Read 5073 times)

Offline sure shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Moose hunting in 49 degrees north
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:15:29 PM »
I was lucky enough to be selected for the once in a life time Moose hunt in the 49 degrees north area this year. I was unlucky enough to be involved in an auto accident many years ago and now have to use crutches to walk, so shooting big game has been difficult. I hear that big moose can be shot from the road. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity and would appreciate the help from anyone that can put me in the right place at the right time.

Do I need to scout the area days before Oct. 1st and hunt every day until I find one in range? Will they be pushed away from the roads when dear starts? Where is the best place to camp? I would like to be there during deer season so my partners can hunt too, but should I try to shot one before deer season?

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
Re: Moose hunting in 49 degrees north
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 01:03:10 AM »
Congrats on your tag. A few years ago my Dad had the tag and we were surprised to have muzzleloader deer hunters hunting the first week of the season. He called in a decent bull and shot it with his bow but the extra pressure did not help. The positive side is that the deer hunters were a good source of info and would tell you if they spotted moose. get up high and glass as much as possible. Talk to every one you see. Learn to call if you can and make sure you have help to pack it out. They are very large. Contact Brian from Brian from Pendorielladventures here on the huntwa site he is very knowledgeable about the area and the moose. Good luck.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:05 AM »
Sounds like you have the early tag for Oct 1. If you don't have help from someone who knows the area I would scout a few days right before season to nail down where you will be hunting. If you have help from someone who knows the area then come a day or two before season and spend most of your time here during season so you can shoot when you see a moose. The first two weeks is best before rifle deer hunters hit the mountains. Once all those deer hunters are out it keeps a lot of the moose pushed away from the roads. If you don't know how to call just listen to some youtube videos, that will help a lot. The first week of early season is the best time to call.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Ben Roberts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
I had planned on doing my Elk hunt in 117 this year, but after several days of scouting, AND ONLY SEEING MOOSE i've bagged that idea.
I recommend driving the Little Pend Oreille wildlife refuge. early mornings late evenings. There are a ton of moose out there.

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:00:56 PM »
Congratulations! That is a nice permit to have!
"The Huntin Fool" was a great source for detailed information back in 2007 when my wife drew her 49DN permit.
I'm not sure how these guys are now because the original creators of this service have sold their business, but I see on their website that the new owners still offer the "Member draw list" service, where, as a member, when you draw a permit they will send you the names and numbers of several other Huntin Fool members who have had this same permit recently so you can call to talk with them about their hunts.
We gathered maps and did some research before calling anyone so that we were ready to understand where they were talking about on the maps etc.
I think you could give them a call, tell them you drew your permit and ask if you could sign up for the $100 annual fee and receive the call list. They used to allow you to do that.
This was the best $100 we have ever spent on hunting research. The people we talked with gave us incredibly detailed info! It was a lot of fun!
You might ask them to give a quick look to see if they have had any members that have had this permit recently. I did that for a friend who was looking for quality elk hunt info for the Toutle. The Huntin Fool told me that they didn't have members with that info, so there would be no reason to become a member. They were really nice to work with.

Best of luck on your hunt!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand