collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: arrow making tool recommendations wanted  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
arrow making tool recommendations wanted
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »
What kind of tools do you use for making your arrows.
Saws for cutting your carbon or metal arrows? What rpm is good for carbon?
Fletching jigs?
I would like to start acquiring these tools just for my own use.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: arrow making tool recommendations wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
Depends on how much you want to play with things, but the E-Z Fletch mini works well for HP Blazer type vanes and a heavy helical. I've used mine for years and never had an issue. For no good reason I got a Vane Master and it's great for playing with different vanes and using different helical. Another arrow tool I always use is a G5 ASD to square up the ends of the arrows after they're cut.   

Offline Seahawk12

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
Depends on how much you want to play with things, but the E-Z Fletch mini works well for HP Blazer type vanes and a heavy helical. I've used mine for years and never had an issue. For no good reason I got a Vane Master and it's great for playing with different vanes and using different helical. Another arrow tool I always use is a G5 ASD to square up the ends of the arrows after they're cut.
Are you cutting your own arrows?
The lack of archery shops in the area has led me to decide to start picking up the tools to start doing things myself.
I got an OMP Accu-Arrow scale off of amazon this week and have been weighing up all my assorted heads, vanes, and arrows, among other things. At $25 it was a neat little tool.
I'll take a look at that ez fletch and Vane Master.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Seahawk12

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
This looks interesting.
Anyone make one of these?
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »
I use a harbor freight mini chop saw. I would  tightly wrap the spot getting cut with making tape if not the outside layers of carbon fibers would fray. I've changed to a grit blade works great. I started with a aae fetching jig now I've got a bitzenberger multi fletch.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
Are you cutting your own arrows?
The lack of archery shops in the area has led me to decide to start picking up the tools to start doing things myself.
I got an OMP Accu-Arrow scale off of amazon this week and have been weighing up all my assorted heads, vanes, and arrows, among other things. At $25 it was a neat little tool.
I'll take a look at that ez fletch and Vane Master.
I let the shop that works on my bow cut the shafts. Unless you're doing all your own work I'd buy shafts from whatever shop you use to work on your bow. It helps to develop a little bit of a relationship with them.

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
If you do your homework you can pick up a 5,000 RPM saw, squaring tool and fletching jig (I concur with the Arizona Easy Fletch mini).  $225 for the 8,000 RPM upgrade.  It all depends on if you like to tinker, bust up arrows or switch arrows a lot.  The lack of shops will justify the cost, and the ability for you to start your own tuning without getting carried away.  Soon enough you will have a press, vise,levels, draw board, scale etc. and your buddies will be having you work on their gear while they drink your beer and eat all your tortilla chips!

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
This looks interesting.
Anyone make one of these?
I built one years ago that's roughly similar. Mine uses a flexible dremel extension head and is able to cut it all off in one pass versus several like he did. I like the reinforced heavy duty cutoff wheels over the standard ones. They seem to last forever and no breaking blades. Then I'll use the G5 ASD mentioned above, and fletch with the Bitzenburger with full helical.  I've wasted a lot of time trying to save money by buying cheap fletching jigs, nothing I've tried compares to the Bitz; however the Bohning Helix worked well but is limited to doing Blazers only. Gorilla glue super glue with impact tough works as well as most any archery-specific glues.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]