collapse
Quality Hunts for over 30 Years A lightweight orange vest that complements your technical hunting apparel!

Author Topic: Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt  (Read 1071 times)

Offline GUscottie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:44:10 AM »
I have to say, I'm glad I finally put in for this hunt. I had 7 points this year for quality buck and I drew one of the 10 buck tags for this unit.

I used to hunt this all the time as a kid growing up in Connell. Already got in contact with a friend or two with some land. Can't wait to chase some bucks in November!

I know that the likelihood of killing a giant are small, but I'm excited to chase some deer during the rut. I have the goal of shooting either a real nice 4x4 (muledeer) or a 140"+ white tail. If I can't get one of those, I'm going for unique racks, my buddy had a big forky last year on his farm that was wider than his ears, so, he's going to be considered, if for no other reason than unique factor.

Anyone have any pics, stories or anything to share? Feel free to do so, thanks!
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline cbond3318

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: BHA
Re: Kahlotus Rut Rifle Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
How long ago did you live in Connell? I grew up there as well.

That should be a fun hunt and does have the potential for a solid buck, but you already know that.

There are a few landowners I would be specifically seeking access from.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

Good luck!!
"All those who love Nature she loves in return, and will richly reward, not perhaps with the good things, as they are commonly called, but with the best things of this world-not with money and title, horses and carriages, but with bright and happy thoughts, contentment and peace of mind."

John Lubbock

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
Good luck to you! had the early muzzleload tag a couple years ago and ate it. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Offline GUscottie

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:32:10 AM »
Good luck to you! had the early muzzleload tag a couple years ago and ate it. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Thanks! I have a couple family friends letting me hunt their property. They've been seeing some good deer. There is supposed to be a giant 2pt on one of the farms...If he's as big as the rumors are, he's gonna get a second look. I also have some land down by the river that is gonna get looked at pretty hard. Can't wait to share the story, harvest or no.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
Years ago, we would see the occasional nice buck on the drive between Prosser and Pullman, but I don't make that drive anymore. This buck was on the side of Hwy 395 four years ago just north of Connell:  I'm sure he's not still grazing there!.  Not a great picture, but a real nice buck.

Offline Hot Lunch

• Columbia Fishing Co.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 10:15:08 AM »
That buck was on property leased by Eagle Lakes Ranch. They do guides hunts, you might be able to pay them for access.
www.FishtheColumbia.com

Custom Guided Sportfishing
Kings Sockeye Steelhead Walleye
Columbia River Gorge - Buoy 10 - Hanford Reach

* Recent Topics