collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Prairie Dog Hunts & Washington Ground Squirrel Hunts  (Read 10033 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Prairie Dog Hunts - Montana
Our ranch near Miles City has awesome prairie dog shooting with numerous large pd towns on the property. We only had a few hunters on this ranch last year and they ran out of ammo and bought out the nearest sport shop, this ranch is not shot out like many other places are these days. We can take up to 5 hunters at a time. Limited late May, June, July, or early August dates are available. Minimum of 2 shooters per hunt. We suggest each hunter bring a 500 brick of .22 and 200 to 500 rounds of centerfire for each 8 hours of shooting day. Prairie dogs plus any badgers, skunks, or coyotes seen may be taken. Some hunters have even brought pistols and bows to practice shooting them. The 2 day and 3 day hunts include lodging in a cabin on the property and modest guide prepared meals.
$550 ........ 1 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$950 ........ 2 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$1250 ...... 3 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter

Gopher Hunts - Montana
We have another new ranch to hunt near Bozeman for gophers, these are about half the size of prairie dogs but very fun to shoot too, we shot several hundred .22 at the ranch but this is a bit of a down year for gophers, litters weren't as large this year, so shooting is not as good this year as some years, we prefer to plan gopher hunts for next year. This is your chance to be some of the first outside hunters to hunt this private ranch in Montana next spring. We charge $250 per day per hunter for min of 2 hunters for 2 days, 3 or more hunters $225 per day per hunter, max of 5 hunters. Limited April through June dates next year. We suggest each hunter bring 500 .22 and 200-300 centerfire for each hunt day. Gophers plus any badgers, skunks, or coyotes seen may be taken. Motel accommodations are available in Bozeman, Montana, we pick up and return you to the motel each day.
$450 ........ 1 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$750 ........ 2 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$950 ........ 3 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter

Ground Squirrel Hunts - NE Washington
This hunt is in NE Washington, north of Spokane. We have several private properties and mountain hot spots to hunt in NE Washington for squirrels, rockchucks, skunks, and coyotes. There will not be as much shooting as the Montana hunts but there will be quite a bit of shooting, the squirrel population needs thinning on some of the properties we lease. Limited to May through June dates. We suggest each hunter bring 200 rounds of .22 and 40 rounds of center fire for each hunt day, you will have a fun time. Lodging and meals are included with this hunt at Bearpaw Outfitters home base near Colville.
$450 ........ 1 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$750 ........ 2 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
$950 ........ 3 Day Hunt, cost per Shooter
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:26:52 PM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
Re: Montana Prairie Dog Hunts & Washington Varmint Hunts
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
There's still time to arrange a prairie dog hunt this summer! Bring several weapons that you want to hone your shooting skills with.
Bring 500 to 1000 rounds per day per person!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:59:08 PM by bearpaw »
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 12:31:47 AM »
We have two prairie dog hunters for two days who started shooting today. They brought 3 guns each and 600 rounds for each rifle and hunted two of the smaller towns, they never shot at the biggest prairie dog town! Today they both shot all their ammo, they shot 1800 rounds each, that's 3600 rounds shot at prairie dogs by two shooters in one day! :yike:

The shooters were amazed at their experience today, they thought I was exaggerating about how much shooting there would be, they never figured so much shooting was possible. They went to buy all the ammo they could find in town for tomorrow. This is the most amazing prairie dog shooting we've seen in many years. This is a new property and the first year these towns have been seriously hunted, be some of the first outside hunters to experience this amazing shooting opportunity.

This is your chance to experience some of the best prairie dog hunting possible.
Contact Dale to book your trip!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 12:49:38 AM by bearpaw »

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »
Looks like fun times. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:17 AM »
It's some of the best trigger time you can get.  Builds confidence for hitting small targets and varying ranges.  A must for young hunters.....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »
I take a 5,000 round case of 22 LR-HP, a 2,500 round case of 22 Magnum Super-X HP, 1,800 rounds of 22 Hornet and about 500 rounds each of 22-250, 17 Rem & 243 when I go varmint shooting in Montana... I don't bring much home except empty brass

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Shooting prairie dogs is how I really saw and learned how to compensate for shooting in the wind. I highly recommend taking your deer hunting rifle when going prairie dog shooting. After shooting hundreds of rounds in the wind you can really learn how to compensate without needing to carry gadgets. The same applies to bow hunting, it's amazing how much you need to compensate in the wind.

Here are some bucks the guys got to see, they are coming back next year for more prairie dogs and for a mule deer hunt.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
Shooting prairie dogs is how I really saw and learned how to compensate for shooting in the wind. I highly recommend taking your deer hunting rifle when going prairie dog shooting. After shooting hundreds of rounds in the wind you can really learn how to compensate without needing to carry gadgets. The same applies to bow hunting, it's amazing how much you need to compensate in the wind.

Here are some bucks the guys got to see, they are coming back next year for more prairie dogs and for a mule deer hunt.

No one I have ever met who hasn't shot a lot in the wind has ever had any appreciation for how wind can affect a bullet's path from powder to target.  This has been especially true when shooting up and across canyons and coulees where wind changes direction, eddies and can blow up and down as well as north, south, east & west. 

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
Looks amazing...Someday I hope.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
That buck on the left is a hog!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »

Biggest mule deer I have ever seen was in that neighborhood.  Only about a hundred miles away.

Time your prairie dog hunt right and you could take in the Bucking Horse Sale while there

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »
back in the mid-80's the BLM would give varmint hunters maps of the dog towns on BLM land.  I hunted there and would go thru about 100 rounds a day.  Later I moved to a private land location down by Harlowton and took out my 100 rounds.  Burned thru that in 45 minutes and had to hike back to the car.  After that I measured my rounds in quart quantities.  I'd take two quarts of ammo out for the walkabout and never ran out again.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »

Big frame for sure!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »
back in the mid-80's the BLM would give varmint hunters maps of the dog towns on BLM land.  I hunted there and would go thru about 100 rounds a day.  Later I moved to a private land location down by Harlowton and took out my 100 rounds.  Burned thru that in 45 minutes and had to hike back to the car.  After that I measured my rounds in quart quantities.  I'd take two quarts of ammo out for the walkabout and never ran out again.

We saw a pickup stuck out in the middle of the prairie one day and pulled the guy that put those maps together out of a mudhole.  He had a two-wheel drive Dodge w/slant-six & three on the tree.

That act of kindness on our part was repaid many times over.     

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
We require at least two hunters for a prairie dog hunt. I have one hunter from Nevada who wants to go on a prairie dog hunt anytime between Aug 11-30, but he doesn't have a hunting partner, he wants me to locate another hunter to go. Is there anyone who would like to go on a prairie dog hunt during that time frame?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]