collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk calling during muzzleloader hunts?  (Read 11179 times)

Offline Kzoobronco51

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Elk calling during muzzleloader hunts?
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
Im going to try the general muzzleloader season this year with a couple of friends and was wondering are the elk still talking or rutting generally in the southern part of the state.  I have archery hunted and has success calling or at least somewhat as Im still by far a novice.  Is it worth trying the calling in the second week of October or have any of you had success in past years.  Thanks for the input and good luck this year.
MA WHERES THE MEATLOAF?

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
Re: Elk calling during muzzleloader hunts?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »
Here the PNW they are usually done bugling by then. the cow calls can still be a very good tool this time of yr tho. Good Luck!

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:56:28 AM »
Where I hunt muzzy in the east Cascades there are still bugles to be heard, though not at the fever pitch that you would find in archery season.  Squidward is spot on- the cow calls can be really effective.  One year, trying for one of those elusive spikes, I cow called (standard Hoochie) a very large 5x5 bull to four yards.  As I was seated behind a log, he was standing almost over me.  Very exhilarating. 

Good luck to you!

Mark

Offline krapmit

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
I tend to disagree.  On the East side of the state, I hear more bugling and have seen more rutting activity the first week of october, after archery season.  In Western Washington my experience is mid september they're on fire.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
In my areas the last wk of sept.- first wk of oct is the best.
KD

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »
My favorite time of year for calling bulls  :tup:

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »
I find it to vary each year during ML season on the eastside. Some years they are on fire, other years the woods are silent as can be and sometimes in between. I would expect this ML season being later than years past they will be on the quiet side.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
I find it to vary each year during ML season on the eastside. Some years they are on fire, other years the woods are silent as can be and sometimes in between. I would expect this ML season being later than years past they will be on the quiet side.

They were fired up where I was hunting last year for sure, and totally agree they will likely be shut up by opener this season.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
I've only hunted a couple muzzy seasons on the west side.  I don't think I've heard a bugle or received a response to a bugle.  I have found that bulls are still with the cows though.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »
Im going to try the general muzzleloader season this year with a couple of friends and was wondering are the elk still talking or rutting generally in the southern part of the state.  Is it worth trying the calling in the second week of October or have any of you had success in past years.  Thanks for the input and good luck this year.

Elk talk year round but are obviously more vocal during the time of the rut.  The rut is all about the cows being receptive (coming into their first, second, even third estrus cycle) until they "take".  Most of the cows hit their primary estrus cycle around the third week in SEP and most of them conceive around that time frame.  But those that do not, will to into a second even third estrus cycle that goes into the month of OCT.  Cow in estrus translates to rutting activity with the bulls, and, further translates into elk being vocal (locating, challenging, advertising, etc.).  So heck no, I would not leave my calls at home when hunting into the second even third week of OCT!  The elk are all herded up by the point you'll be hunting so blind/cold calling may not reap you much... instead, locate the small herds and work into them very close before you make a peep.  How to find them?  Either visually/glassing or listen for them (or locate bugle them) after nightfall.  Head there early the next morning and they'll be very close to where they were feeding at night before they hit the road to beddy bye.  If there is just one cow that's exhibiting signs of estrus in the group, the bull(s) will be prone to be vocal and quite snarky when you get in close and challenge them.  Nothing wrong with just a few quiet cow mews (just a few) given every two or three minutes either.... that will oftentimes bring one of the lovesick satellites into your lap.  Pose a "threat" (whiny cow cows over your shoulder and then a loud scream/challenge directly at the herd) and that may very well dislodge the herd bull and bring him your way post haste!  Good luck in your ML season mister!     
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
I've been hunting the east side muzzle-loader season for the last six years and here are a couple of my observations.
1. The closer the opener is to Oct. 1 the more vocal the bulls are.
2. After the first morning of the season, with a hundred (or more) guys blowing bugles, you'll be lucky to hear a single elk bugle in the daylight for the rest of the season.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Kzoobronco51

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:25:12 PM »
Thank you very much for the responses.   I agree every year is different.  I'm hoping where we are hunting doesn't have a ton of opening  day pressure.  I'm not sure about the muzzleloader season. 
MA WHERES THE MEATLOAF?

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 05:32:24 AM »
They will be talking

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 05:52:31 AM »

Pressured elk are pressured elk whether in Sept or Oct. Doesn't matter the unit or state. If you hunt near the hoards of other hunters you will experience less elk communication! The opposite can be true for your time of the hunt! Hunt where others are not! Be prepared to Glass where possible & to call for location in non glassing areas. You are not necessarily trying to call elk to you, instead you are trying to find them, once you locate elk through calling shut down your calling & go over to them, now it's time to hunt them!

ElkNut/Paul

Offline Kzoobronco51

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
Thank you very much for the help.  I appreciate it.
MA WHERES THE MEATLOAF?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand