collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AR pistol build advice  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
AR pistol build advice
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »
So I got the itch finally and decided I want to build my next AR. I thought a pistol would be a fun build and a good opportunity to learn on. I have experience shooting, maintaining and swapping parts on AR's but have never sourced ALL the parts before and done a full build. I already have a serious use rifle so this one will be mostly for fun BUT I do want the thing to work properly. Ill probably start the build around December and gathering my parts so any advice or help would be much appreciated. Here's the list I have compiled so far:

Lower:
Spikes "the Jack" stripped lower
Spikes Enhanced Lower parts kit
Law Tactical Folder
SB tactical Brace
Midwest Pistol Buffer tube

Upper:
Either Vltor MUR or Spikes Billet
Midwest 9" Mlok Rail
Davidson Defense 7.5" .223 Wylde barrel
Spikes Barking Spider Break
Cryptic Coatings BCG (bronze)

Again any help, advice or experience would be of GREAT help. Obviously this thing wont be bought all at once and I'm not "married" to any parts so I can easily change the plan if something I listed wont work or is not a good product. Again this will be sourced and bought over time starting probably in December, hopefully finish by next June. But I would like to get started incase deals pop up here and there.

Thanks guys!
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
Re: AR pistol build advice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:01:45 AM »
Tagging for the ride - Interesting build
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
You didn't mention a gas block. I would recommend an adjustable gas block (from the parts list it appears that you can swing a bit extra). I've found it helpful in dialing in a consistent cycle and ejection pattern. Necessary? Probably not but all of my AR's run great (Syrac GenII)

Also, don't listen to the guys that say "just get SBR your lower". I used to have a pistol and SBR'ed it when the state legalized a few years back. I'll be making another pistol for my next short barrel since it is a pistol and can be kept loaded in a vehicle.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »
You didn't mention a gas block. I would recommend an adjustable gas block (from the parts list it appears that you can swing a bit extra). I've found it helpful in dialing in a consistent cycle and ejection pattern. Necessary? Probably not but all of my AR's run great (Syrac GenII)

Also, don't listen to the guys that say "just get SBR your lower". I used to have a pistol and SBR'ed it when the state legalized a few years back. I'll be making another pistol for my next short barrel since it is a pistol and can be kept loaded in a vehicle.

That's exactly the type of advice I was looking for! Thank you! I didn't even think about an adjustable gas block, I was going to just go standard low profile but you make a good argument for it. Any recommendations?

And yes that's why I want to keep it a pistol. I can keep it loaded in a vehicle if I so choose. plus I think the NFA and Tax stamp stuff is BS. I already have one in for a silencer that I should be getting my stamp back by Christmas, but it irritates me I have to wait 9 months.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »
Not that this will tickle you ears and will probably raise your BP but you better go buy a lottery ticket if you get your stamp in 9 months.  Most of the guys that I've talked to are right at a year wait time.

I believe ATF now lets you, legally, shoulder an AR pistol that has the Sig arm brace.

I bought a Sig MCX pistol with arm brace awhile back, until I started shooting it a little I didn't know these things were that much fun to shoot, but they sure are!! ;)

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:26:19 PM »
Yeah when I bought my I heard 6-9 months, closer to 9. That was 4 months ago though so we'll see.

Yeah I always thought the AR pistols were cool but never thought about getting one. Then I shot my dad's, alot of fun but then my head started going on all the things I'd do different lol. On top of that I thought the Jack lowers were really cool looking but had no use for one...light bulb!!!! So I'm off to the races, sorta. Little more research too. Not sure on the barrel yet.

And yes the ATF said shouldering the brace is no longer illegal.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
Did some more research, the barrel I selected docent get good reviews. Odin works was suggested and I see they also provide an adjustable gas block with it. two birds with one stone.

Now does an adjustable gas block negate the need to fiddle with a bunch of different buffers and springs? Would just an H2 work and adjust gas accordingly?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:47:33 AM »
I have been very happy with everything odin that I have bought and sold. I run one of there adjustable gas blocks with a st-t2 buffer.

You should be able to get it to run with your h2 and spring combo. Not 100% guaranteed but you will have a lot more control then a standard gas block of course.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
That's what I was thinking but then I realized the Spikes Barking spider adds back pressure. so I really got 3 things to worry about working together so I was hoping the adjustable gas block would keep it simple for me.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:18:49 PM »
Yeah. I think it will help for sure and hopefully be simple for you.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:29:21 AM »
So slight update. I kept doing some digging and sourcing parts, trying to find the right combos. then I ran across a pistol upper that was already made that was pretty much exactly what I was building.

Its is Spikes Pipe hitters union pistol
https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/complete-pistols/products/complete-rifle-phu-pistol?variant=32733884172

one catch was they don't sell just the upper only the complete pistol. So I've been talking to Kat at spikes and she's been really nice. sounds like while they don't sell just the uppers they will make me one to the same specs. Waiting on the quote now. Yeah I'm losing some pride in the fact that I wont be sourcing EVERY part, BUT sounds like ill be getting something a lot more reliable from the start. Yeah this is kind of a "fun" build but I still like my stuff to work.

Should I go with them building me one being its still kinda "custom" or should I still source all my parts? Cost difference isint much.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal