collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ethanol  (Read 11721 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Ethanol
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »
Isn't Trump going to do away with the ethanol requirement ? 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:43 PM »
ethanol is one of the biggest government scams i ever seen!

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »
Depends on the engine.  4 stroke brigs will not care.  I have a husqvarna with a Honda engine and nothing but problems.  My old cheap lawn mower would run on the blend and never complain.  Just depends on how much you use.  For 2-stroke I use the premix unless I know I will be burning a couple of gallons,  4-stroke I just get a couple gallons at a time.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
I guarantee you will pay more for repairs then you will ever save using gas with ethanol in it, that stuff should never be used in anything but your daily driver. It is nothing but problems waiting to happen and whatever you add to it will do nothing but make things worse. But nothing is better learned if not from experience so go give that crap a chance and learn your lesson then go buy new equipment and stop using that garbage !!

Guess you can see how much I like it eh :-) !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »
Anyone ever test any of that "ethanol free gas"? The stuff from the co-op that is labeled ethanol free. You might be surprised.  Go pick up a kit. Not expensive.  The kind that is based on the immiscibility of gas and a polar solvent like water or an alcohol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
After rebuilding or replacing several small engine carburetors I went to non ethanol ONLY in small engines.
I have a car that has the average mpg screen, it always stay at 24.5. I tried the ethanol free in it to see how it ran since the price is higher then premium. It right away jumped to 16 and stayed there through a few tanks. Didn't seem to run any better that I could tell. After returning to ethanol blend it went down to 24.5 where it normally is.
I'm not sure.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 06:08:00 AM »
After rebuilding or replacing several small engine carburetors I went to non ethanol ONLY in small engines.
I have a car that has the average mpg screen, it always stay at 24.5. I tried the ethanol free in it to see how it ran since the price is higher then premium. It right away jumped to 16 and stayed there through a few tanks. Didn't seem to run any better that I could tell. After returning to ethanol blend it went down to 24.5 where it normally is.
That's because production vehicles have spark timing set for use with ethanol fuels. Ethanol burns quicker so spark timing and heat produced by the spark are all set to ignite the alcohol not the gas. If I remember correctly you would need to open the plug gap and retard the ignition point to see the difference. Otherwise you get partial ignition leading to poor mpg.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:21 AM »
Heres the link to the website that helps you locate non ethanol gas that another poster mentioned
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=WA

As others have said, I only run non ethanol in all my generators, boat motors and motorcycles. Had the carb on my TTR 230 motorcycle get clogged with a jelly like substance one winter when I didnt ride the bike for a few months. Had to clean the carb a couple times after i didnt get it all out the first time.

In Pasco on Rd 68 the Maverick station has non ethanol 87 octane for i believe around 30 cents more per gallon. My s-10 pickup gets anywhere from 5-8% BETTER gas mileage on the stuff, not quite enough to write off the difference in price.

CO-Energy through there Pacific Pride card has non E that is 92 octane but is about 75 cents more per gallon then there regular unleaded.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »
Depends on the engine.  4 stroke brigs will not care.  I have a husqvarna with a Honda engine and nothing but problems.  My old cheap lawn mower would run on the blend and never complain.  Just depends on how much you use.  For 2-stroke I use the premix unless I know I will be burning a couple of gallons,  4-stroke I just get a couple gallons at a time.

4 stroke Briggs 8.5 i/c did care. I just had to have a guy go through the carb on it because I couldn't get it to start. My ancient Husqvarna saw couldn't care less. I take horrible care of that thing as much as I hate to say it. The 2 times a year I need it now, it fires up and runs like mad. Husqvarna mower doesn't care either.

I use the star-tron enzyme stuff in a blue bottle. been using it in lawnmower and weedeater with pump gas. had it sit in the tank over winter and start and run fine. Good stuff!

Thanks. That's what I was wondering.

I don't mind paying for it. Really, the amount I use is relatively small, so the cost difference will be negligible.  I don't have acres to mow or anything like that.
 I just want my stuff to start and run when I need it.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:56:20 AM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 08:51:49 AM »
Why risk it?

http://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty/Learn-About-Ethanol

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/basics/ethanol-free-fuel/

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/gasoline-guidelines-outdoor-power-equipment/

The engine repair shop I deal with says bad gasoline is the number one cause of problems they see.

All these links say they approve the use of E10 gas, but don't use it because it will ruin your stuff.
:dunno:

So it's ok to use it, but it's not ok.

Whether or not I address the  ethanol issue is not the question at hand for me. I'm mainly wondering if anyone is using the additives in their regular gas rather than driving all over creation to find ethanol free gas. One way or the other I will discontinue the use of normal pump gas.  I know for sure that there is no ethanol free gas within 10 miles of my home. So is the additive a good substitute or should I make the 10+ mile drive to find some?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 08:58:36 AM »
Just looked at www.pure-gas.org and found the Grange in Issaquah has it and the co-op in Snohomish has it. So maybe I should just grab a 5 gallon can of it next time through that area. Both of them are 20+ miles from me and they're the closest.
 :(

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
One way or the other I will discontinue the use of normal pump gas.  I know for sure that there is no ethanol free gas within 10 miles of my home. So is the additive a good substitute or should I make the 10+ mile drive to find some?

I get mine at the Snohomish Co-op, and also treat it with SeaFoam.  When we have  full gas tanks everywhere, that adds up to 20 gallons at my house, my mothers and my GF's.  We burn thru it in less than three months, and I run the the carb dry on the pressure washer, the gererator and the push mower in the off season.  But everything seems to start OK, even the various Stihls which may be left with a full tank for a month or so at a time.

That's what I would suggest, SeaFoam adds about  45¢/per gallon when I add to the gas, and $1.00 when I add it at a greater ratio to diesel for the '82 JD 950 tractor.  It sounds expensive, but wasting my time or my mothers landscapers time adds up.  And I run the tractor like a tractor, but I want to keep it another 20 plus years.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:16:23 AM by Knocker of rocks »

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:36 AM »
Just looked at www.pure-gas.org and found the Grange in Issaquah has it and the co-op in Snohomish has it. So maybe I should just grab a 5 gallon can of it next time through that area. Both of them are 20+ miles from me and they're the closest.
 :(

I think the Issaquah Grange sells off-road diesel, which is kind or rare around here except in card locks. 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 09:28:58 AM »
I buy the highest octane ethanol free gas at the Grange and put it in five gallon containers. if I don't use it all in a few months I pour it in my truck and refill the container at the Grange the next time I'm there. It's a bit more expensive but in the volumes I use it's pretty insignificant.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
I've only used ethanol free gasoline in all my small gas powered engines for several years. It really seems to matter with 2 cycle engines.

I did this last year and every one of my small engines started up this spring, chainsaw, weed eater, pressure washer, rototiller....

I'll still run ethanol fuel through my boat engines though as they never sit long, and when they do, I can run the carbs dry before storing them.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal