collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alternate backpacking meals ideas?  (Read 15923 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Alternate backpacking meals ideas?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 10:00:02 AM »
I use sandwich Thins, as a thin alternative to bread for sandwich meals. I have also used tortillas, they work fine, though I like the taste of the sandwich thins much better. Around camp I stuff them with lunch meat, cheese lettuce and onion.
When hiking I throw in a couple single serving Peanut Butters and some jelly packs or single serving tuna packs. Neither have to be refrigerated. You can add condiment packs (mayo, mustard, onions) as well they weigh almost nothing.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
What is your priority?  Is it to go as light as possible or to eat well?  Most of us go somewhere in the middle but on some long, steep strenuous hunts I have opted for as light as possible.  And then on one backpack hunt high hunt when huckleberries were ripe, my son and I carried a reflector oven and all the fixin's for pie. 

For a three day hunt you don't have to cook anything nor carry any cooking gear.  My comments lean more to the 3 day trip than to longer.  Here are some alternatives to the usual freeze dried.

Dry roasted soy beans are light, loaded with calories and are a complete protein.  I like them and have carried them more in recent years than I have trail mix.  Bulk food section.

Another option that keeps for several days is pre-baked potatoes, a bit overdone with less water content.  Clean, tidy to carry and eat and you eat peel and all.  They go better with a smidge of salt.  I love small baked yams and they are terrific nutrition but they retain more weight and are messy to carry so I usually don't.

A chub of summer sausage is not light weight but you eat all of it and it packs protein and salt.  In Fall weather a chub of sausage will easily last three days without refrigeration.  A chunk of cheese and crackers go well with it.  The weight saving is no cooking gear of any kind, which is a double bonus because when you eat stuff, the weight/bulk is gone, with no pot or stove etc. to continue carrying. 

I've carried a ziploc bag of cooked macaroni and a cooked steak or hamburger patty for the first evening meal, before it spoils. 

Raw oatmeal is plenty good if soaked in a bit of powdered milk.  Put milk and oatmeal in bag, and add water when you want to eat it.  Use a separate bag for each planned meal of it.  One pink Baskin Robbins spoon makes it taste better, as does mixing it with granola.  I don't add sugar.

If you are going to cook, the dehydrated veggies in supermarket bulk sections are light to carry and a handful of them tossed into most pot-cooked meals adds favor and nutrition.

I hiked with a couple of Himalaya climbers, serious dudes, who carried whole barley.  It is about all that they ate, and each night when we camped they would start a cup or two of it soaking which they would cook and eat the following day. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
I've thought about the tortillas wrapped around this combo, but I worry about the honey soaking through. It will soak through bread....which is even more delicious it seems, but it does make for a sticky mess. The bagels are stout and don't get messed up too easily. They will get squished in your pack and the bagels just seem more robust.

Put pb on them first and leave out for like 10-15 minutes then add honey, bacon and roll. Haven't had it soak through yet.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »
Good tip.  Thanks.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
What is your priority? 

Priority is a dry camp. No cooking stove or fuel for this trip. Not going for ultralight on this trip.    And just two nights, 3 days for this specific trip.  For my longer 10 day backcountry hunt I'll be near a water source and have the freeze dried meals.

Thanks for the food advice.  I'll be bringing up some fried garbanzo beans as one of the snacks.  I might give the pre-baked potato a try.  Maybe pre-stuff it with some protein.  That's a good idea. 

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
MRE,S they require no water or heat and you get everything you need and then some!! The new ones they have out now are way better than the ones we had in the late 80s early 90s
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline swift

• NRA Life member
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 08:23:06 PM »
I've thought about the tortillas wrapped around this combo, but I worry about the honey soaking through. It will soak through bread....which is even more delicious it seems, but it does make for a sticky mess. The bagels are stout and don't get messed up too easily. They will get squished in your pack and the bagels just seem more robust.

I just mix my PB and Honey together with a little powdered pb2 ( to thicken a touch)

Put pb on them first and leave out for like 10-15 minutes then add honey, bacon and roll. Haven't had it soak through yet.
This place protected by God and Guns trespass and you might get to meet Both !

Offline couesbitten

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
Buy a large pepperoni pizza, put it all in a ziplock, dinner for days!
With the catching ends the pleasure of the chase. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline trapp01

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »
Some backcountry chefs in here. Me-dry top ramen with the spice packet sprinkled on top. Dried fruit. Loose granola and jerky.

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
I'd second the MRE's for simplicity and nutritional value. The entrees weighs about 8 oz. per. The shredded beef has 40g of protein. You could take a few of these and some other stuff.

Offline THunt

• Thunt
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
I make bacon, PB, and jelly sandwiches on French bread.  Doesn't soak thru,  minimal cost and really fills you up!

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »
Spam singles.

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 11:21:59 PM »
MRE,S they require no water or heat and you get everything you need and then some!! The new ones they have out now are way better than the ones we had in the late 80s early 90s
Where do you buy your mres?
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Smokey Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 11:25:38 PM »
If I am in an area that allows fires, I will freeze two or three brats and bring them.  Easy to cook over the fire with a stick.  I will also bring the small ketchup and/or mustard packets.  For the next night I like the tuna and/or chicken packets, with a small mayo packet and some crackers. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 07:28:45 AM »
MRE's are too heavy and too large. You can do a lot better for a lot less weight. My .02 is if you're going to bring MRE's you might as well bring a stove and filter and go the rehydration route with some chili Mac n beef.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal