collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alternate backpacking meals ideas?  (Read 15921 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Alternate backpacking meals ideas?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »
Yeah, not interested in MREs.  Never liked the taste of them, and they can be rather heavy.

I tried the bagel with PB, honey, bacon suggestion last night.  Tasty.   Thanks for that. Definitely doing that at least one night.

Going to try the baked potato idea that was suggested up thread, this week for lunch. 

Tried making my protein rice krispies recipe yesterday except with with apple cinnamon cheerios instead of the plain rice crisps.  Nah, going back to the usual recipe...little bit of an odd mix of flavors for me.  Quite a bit a protein when using the brown rice crisps, protein powder, and peanut powder.  Those will be breakfasts on the trail.  Light and high in protein.

I have protein bars I make for the trail, a couple different recipes.  Although am also giving these Green Belly bars a try.  Got a few arriving this week to try out.

Anybody else tried those Green Belly bars?

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 01:28:39 PM »
Seahawk, I just purchased a box of 12 entrees off Sportsmans Guide. I won't pack entire MRE's. I'm not sure how an 8 oz "entree" is considered heavy to some of you when you're packing potatoes lol? Just one of these entrees per day + some misc forage could sustain you indefinitely.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
Toast the bagels first, make the sammy then vac pack them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 05:19:10 PM »
Toast the bagels first, make the sammy then vac pack them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that's the plan.  I toasted them as part of the trial last night.   Tasty. 

Offline Camo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
I alternate between PB bagels with bagels, dried salami and a single serve mustard pack for lunches. Another option that works well is tortillas and dried salami wrapped around a cheddar cheese stick. Can cram 3 or 4 in a ziplock. With 5 slices Gallo salami, fajita size tortilla and Sargento low-fat cheddar it comes in at 2.99oz. with 270 calories and 15 grams protein. Down side is 945mg of sodium and they don't hit the 100cal/ounce criteria. I use Thomas bagels and bagel thins, never had a problem with dry out and I can get 7+ days out of them, but I don't toast them, or vacuum pack them.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
I've used tortillas quite a bit for carbs (usually for lunches), but have always carried them separately and made the wrap/whatever on the spot rather than trying to make it ahead of time and keep it from being a hot mess by the time I want to eat it. 

A tip on honey: just get a little plastic bottle and apply it to whatever right before eating.  The bottle costs almost no weight and will save you a lot of sticky headache. 

There are lots of great ideas here.  But I have to admit I'm a lightweight guy and some of these seem waaaaayyyy heavier than I'm willing to carry.  For the same reason, you'll never catch me hauling 3 days worth of water!  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
Seahawk, I just purchased a box of 12 entrees off Sportsmans Guide. I won't pack entire MRE's. I'm not sure how an 8 oz "entree" is considered heavy to some of you when you're packing potatoes lol? Just one of these entrees per day + some misc forage could sustain you indefinitely.

I'm not packing potatoes.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
the powder mashed potatoes are real light and cheap.  You can put in bags of your preference and just dump in warm or boiling water, really quick fluff up time--low fuel usage.  All kinds of flavors (butter/garlic/herb) and goes easy with dehydrated veggies and meats.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2017, 12:33:20 PM »
I also pack lots of Jerky and O'berto cocktail peps,  bagged in ziplock bags.
To me the worst part about backpacking, is the "excepted backpacking food".
LOL
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
I also pack lots of Jerky and O'berto cocktail peps,  bagged in ziplock bags.
To me the worst part about backpacking, is the "excepted backpacking food".
LOL
Yep, which is why I'm on here soliciting recipe idea.  :-)

Offline love to hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
I like to add a little brown sugar to my PB, Bacon, and Honey sandwiches.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »
i just bring food i like to eat. ill pack a whole jar of peanut butter and a box of crackers. sleeves of pringles. cheez its. olive oil/pepper triscuit and yellow fin tuna in olive oil is LEGIT. ive been packing these tiny muffins this year so far. lanjaeger!! some candy like snickers or twix. somewhere on here i have a pic of all my food for a 5 day hunt. not much of it is what id consider "backpacking food"

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:02 AM »
What I did on my last trip this spring.

Breakfast was coffee and a breakfast bar I created at home. Protein powder, honey, peanut butter, cashews, other nuts, quinoa, spice stuff. baked, then cut into 6 bars which equaled around 360 calories per bar and turned out amazing tasting.

Mid morning snack was a nut trail mix

Lunch, I took a package of tortillas, a single serve peanut butter cup, I vacuum sealed single serve honey packets, and vacuum sealed a serving of cooked bacon.  I made my wraps on the mountain each lunch time.

Afternoon snack was elk jerky I made

Dinner was dehydrated homemade meals.
One meal that I ate 2 of the 4 nights was chicken breast cut up small cooked in cream of mushroom soup, cooled and dehydrated.  Place that chicken mix in a vacuum seal bag with a ziplok end and pour in a half box of cous cous from the store.  Seal and hit the mountain.  Dinner time, open the ziplok end, pour in boiling water and wait a while to eat.  Was amazing!

The other meal I did was ground elk with steak sauce cooked and dehydrated, half an onion cut and dehydrated, 1/2 cup mushroom dehydrated.  Throw those three in the vac bags, add half a box of cous cous seal and pack. When ready to eat add water and eat a while later.  Also an amazing meal and way freaking cheaper and better for you than what you can buy. Super easy to make and prep.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »
In the early impoverished days when I had more muscle than money I packed pre-baked potatoes, hard boiled eggs, apples and pre-grilled game steak.  Also, a Jim Beam "traveler" on fishing/camping trips.

More recently, I packed premixed instant coffee, creamer and sugar; MREs; pita pocket bread and tuna pouches or turkey Spam singles with individual mayo or mustard packs; summer sausage and block cheese; dried fruits; and a trail mix consisting of premium mixed nuts, M&Ms, and raisins.  I've bought lots of freeze dried meals over the years and the weight is great, but I don't care for them and I was only spiking out 1-3 nights when hunting.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
OK, that does it... I'm making a point to at least pack in one potato and some sausage w/ my MRE entrees and whisky this year. Good octane to hunt hard.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]