collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dayton - Pack Guide  (Read 10583 times)

Offline GameHunter1959

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Dayton - Pack Guide
« on: July 16, 2017, 11:18:23 PM »
I drew Dayton Quality Bull (Modern Firearm). I am looking to hire a guide or someone to pack me deep in. This is a once in a lifetime elk hunt for me. I would like to be put into position, where I can essentially guarantee I am going to fill my permit. We can speak via DM and I will give you my cell phone, so we can have a detailed conversation. Thank you for your time and help. GH

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Dayton - Pack Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »
Be careful on who you choose, as far as I know there are no guide areas in the dayton.  There is one particular guy that charges and he has a bad reputation for not following through and/or trespassing.  Good luck, I put in for that tag with 22 points and no draw. Lot's of access and with a bit of scouting you should do just fine on your own. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:39:08 AM »
Good luck. One bit of advice is to be weary if you ever talk to anyone who will "guarantee" you fill your tag. It is hunting, not killing.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »
The Blues are a blast to hunt and scout - there are guys on here that know the area that would likely be happy to be part of your hunt. Just ask.  I would if I had time off and knew Dayton.  Great tag!

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »
The Dayton unit doesn't have any country in it that can't be Day hunted so I doubt it'd be beneficial to pack in somewhere. Having stock lined up to pack something out could be beneficial though.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
The Dayton unit doesn't have any country in it that can't be Day hunted so I doubt it'd be beneficial to pack in somewhere. Having stock lined up to pack something out could be beneficial though.
Or it's a unit where you could go on 6 day hunts in a day and see bulls on every hunt...
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
I take it you never been to the unit.?
There is no place you can go in that unit worth being packed into.
Find a good place to camp and hit it hard
If its brown knock it down

Offline mritech1

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
Call Dave Waldron "Mt Cook", ask him if he would be willing to pack out meat only for you, he cant guide in the Dayton but can pack meat. Then call Monte at the forest service and ask for permission to hire Dave to pack meat only. Go hunt hard kill a bull anywhere and as deep as you want. Grab sat phone from pack, call Dave and say come get me! :IBCOOL: Dave is a great guy. Follow his request as he ask you to do so!

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
Have you even looked at a map before??? "Deep" in to the Dayton unit ? and 1/2 of the unit is private haha.  I laugh when people put in for tags and haven't even looked at a map of the unit.

Offline mritech1

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 08:25:39 PM »
Yes, hunted it last year as I drew that tag. You can get into areas that a solo hunter will loose a bull if not prepared. Unless of course you drive the roads like a few I watched doing. It's all a matter of perspective but I will say that if a guy kills a bull by himself in certain areas those horses are way worth the money. 

Sorry, just read the initial post. Unsure if your "deep" comment was directed at me or not but the above statement is still true.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
Yes, hunted it last year as I drew that tag. You can get into areas that a solo hunter will loose a bull if not prepared. Unless of course you drive the roads like a few I watched doing. It's all a matter of perspective but I will say that if a guy kills a bull by himself in certain areas those horses are way worth the money. 

Sorry, just read the initial post. Unsure if your "deep" comment was directed at me or not but the above statement is still true.
Pretty sure he was responding to the original post and not yours

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 06:48:37 PM »
Firearm season will be rough.  Just finding an area that's not covered in orange will be the hardest part.  Roads criss cross the entire unit and there will be camps, tents and pull behind trailers on every pull out.  I archery hunt and guys are setting up their camps for rifle season in September down there.  Be prepared for people but the elk are massive and a lot of the big bulls are well past there prime.  Head out early and just find a spot.  Elk are everywhere in the unit.  I haven't been anywhere in that unit that doesn't have elk roaming it.

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 02:32:46 AM »
Call Dave Waldron "Mt Cook", ask him if he would be willing to pack out meat only for you, he cant guide in the Dayton but can pack meat. Then call Monte at the forest service and ask for permission to hire Dave to pack meat only. Go hunt hard kill a bull anywhere and as deep as you want. Grab sat phone from pack, call Dave and say come get me! :IBCOOL: Dave is a great guy. Follow his request as he ask you to do so!

Thank you so much. Excellent advice...

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 03:14:57 AM »
Have you even looked at a map before??? "Deep" in to the Dayton unit ? and 1/2 of the unit is private haha.  I laugh when people put in for tags and haven't even looked at a map of the unit.

I have hunted in and around the Dayton GMU for 36 years.

I posted this is because I would like to gain different perspectives on how to go about planning my hunt. I wanted to find out if it would make any sense, to try and get myself packed in versus hiking back and fourth daily. I have never gone way down in those deep drainages. I have to be careful on how I go about my hunting. If I go down deep into an area and kill an elk; I have to be able to get the thing out. I would rather plan my hunt months in advance, ask plenty of questions, look at "All Options", which include using a guide, getting packed in, and meat packer, etc.

Based off the forum response; I will line up a meat packer.

And YES I have looked at the map of the GMU.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:38:15 AM by GameHunter1959 »

Offline GameHunter1959

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:45 AM »

Good to know; thank you.

Deep into the GMU is all a matter of perspective. It was a bad choice of words on my part. I always read "Get way off the roads, and you will see elk." Way off the roads, as a solo hunter is deep - IMO
Knowing how steep the terrain is, I was hoping to get a response from the forum suggesting someone to pack me in, versus going up/down those mountains each day.

Just trying to plan in advance so I can have a successful hunt.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:39:21 AM by GameHunter1959 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand