collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chickens killed  (Read 13151 times)

Offline Wazntme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Chickens killed
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:20:53 AM »
My 7 chickens were killed yesterday and I can't tell what did it, there wasn't any visible damage to them and were not eaten at all. Whatever did it likely killed for sport. It wasn't possible for it to be a dog or a bird of prey because it didn't need much room to get in. I thinking it was either raccoons, a weasel, or a fox. If anyone has had experience with this let me know so I know what to do to prevent my girls from being murdered again.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Chickens killed
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »
Any heads missing or bite marks on the neck?  I'd think a weasel or a mink.

Otherwise, maybe they got poisoned or something similar if there is no damage anywhere.

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »
The first thing I would do is see if you can find where it got in.   Were they killed in the coop?  Or just in a fenced in run?  Was it done at night?  I'd put a door on your coop from there run, so they have an extra layer of protection at night.  I'd also put a live trap out on the off chance it was a raccoon either use a chicken carcass for bait or something smelly (sardines usually work).  I'd also put a trail camera or several if possible to see if you can identify the culprit, which will make it easier to remove.   

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:58:41 AM »
Had a friend that had some chickens and ducks mysteriously disappear. I put up a trail cam and got great pics of a bobcat.
Raccoons will reach through a fence and take the heads right off.

Offline Buckewe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and it was racoons. It was a 3 of them and they killed 10 birds in a month. I sat on the back deck with my shotgun and got them one by one.
Blacktail lives matter

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »
don't overlook rats.  A big rat will kill chickens and leave little trace.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »
Hmmm, no visible signs of damage is odd.  I've had racoons kill mine before and they didn't eat much, but they did go for the neck and tear the heads off.  That was apparent.  .leaning towards some sort of rodent in your case. 

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:59:29 AM »
No visible damage.  Betting it was a dog.  If you think a raccoon or fox could get to them, why do you think that a dog couldn't.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
My chicken guru friend says raccoons or weasels. She says they kill them for fun.

Bobcats will kill them and eat them elsewhere and not leave a mess. Barely a feather. They're super efficient.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »
So a dog could not have got inside the pen, whatever it was had to climb a 6 foot fence and push the hawk netting aside to get in. I have an automatic door that closes at dusk and opens in the morning so they were killed in the pen area before they went to bed. There was no visible damage on them so I think their necks were broken

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Likely a weasel or maybe a mink if you live near water. Had a weasel get some ducks and a goose years ago that were tightly penned up at night in a chicken wire cage. Made it easy access and pickings for the weasel that got mine.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
mink or weasel would be my bet to. They like to get them by the back of the skull or neck and crunch them.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
We don't live by water so I don't think it was a mink. Also it wasn't poison because it was violent, there's feathers everywhere

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 07:35:34 PM »
You do not have to be near water for minks or weasels though generally the case. I live at least 400 yards from the nearest "water" to speak of yet every few years we get a critter. We have killed a weasel and two minks in 12 years of living here. Weasels and minks will squeeze in through any small opening. In all three instances there were massive kills, live traps ended the killings. Feathers are likely the result of the last ones killed trying to get away. If you have others chickens around lock them up early, and hope the culprit comes back to eat and you can catch it. Either can be very expensive pests. First night we lost over $1000 in pheasants alone!! :bash:

Have had raccoons once, chewed through the chicken wire over the pen and killed 3 or 4, ate part of one and  hauled one off. Came back two days later and was introduced to some #6s at close range.
Best of luck to you in getting the issue solved.

Offline Wazntme

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 02:09:15 AM »
I'm leaning towards raccoon because of the way it entered and exited the enclosure, I believe it climbed up the fence and found an opening in the netting (netting we just put up because of hawks) but on the way out it pushed the bottom of the fence out quite a ways to escape. It sucks because the actual coop where they sleep at night is 100% secure, I built it like a house and the door is shut every night but I wasn't really expecting predators to do their thing during the day. Also my wife and I were gone that afternoon ( or evening) otherwise we would of seen this happening since their pen is in the same line of sight as the tv. But I have a live trap out there now so hopefully I will have a new fur pelt to hang in my shop soon! I will keep everyone posted on who the culprit is.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]