collapse
A lightweight orange vest that complements your technical hunting apparel! See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: Wasp spray as self-defence weapon?  (Read 778 times)

Online Seahawk12

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Wasp spray as self-defence weapon?
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
I just read this and am curious if anyone had heard of this before?
Any experts on here that can confirm or bust this story?
Subject: Wasp Spray

I know some of you own GUNS, but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.
Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.
Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.
Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life
Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp.!!!!
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
Re: Wasp spray as self-defence weapon?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
It is illegal to use on humans, can be toxic, and has not been proven to be a reliable human deterrent.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline quadrafire

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
It is illegal to use on humans, can be toxic, and has not been proven to be a reliable human deterrent.
Seems like I've read that before. Maybe on here?
But if I'm working in my garage and someone threatens me and that is all that's handy I'd still use it

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
Seems like I've read that before. Maybe on here?
But if I'm working in my garage and someone threatens me and that is all that's handy I'd still use it
Of course. Advocating it as a better alternative than pepper spray is where the problem lies.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Legend
  • Groups: WSB RMGA NRA RMEF BHA
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »

I've seen this multiple times on hiking forums. Why the H E double hockey sticks would people not just use bear spray? I mean...they even have a holster type setup for bear spray and it's proven. Wasp spray may shoot further, but it's a  stream, not a fog. Kind of like a rifle shot vs. a shotgun shot. I can't imagine it's more accurate than a pepper spray.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
I've got enough wasp spray on me to determine that it does nothing.  Might as well carry a fire extinguisher, or hair spray, or engine degreaser, or WD-40, or febreze, or ?  I've got all those on my face at some time or another as well.  I've also had pepper spray on my face and that sucks.

Why not carry something intended for the purpose? 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:59:15 AM »
You would be forced to lie to the LE if you carried that for personal protection, if you lie about that then it calls the entire incident into question.

"honest officer, I was carrying it in case I seen a beeee!"

Offline KP-Skagit

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: WWA
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
When I was younger I made the very stupid mistake of standing directly under a wasp nest and spraying RAID straight up at it. Obviously it hit the nest and then fell in my face. I got a bunch in the mouth and eyes which stung and burned but honestly it didn't feel too much worse than getting any type of aerosol based spray on you. A good shower and I was back in action. I think the only merit to it is that it is very startling and might convince someone it is pepper spray when being sprayed.

But with that in mind why don't you get the real thing?

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
Nothing replaces LEAD.   :chuckle:
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Online Seahawk12

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
Seems to me that if all your replies are accurate that it is incredibly irresponsible for the LEO and self defense instructor cited in this article to be giving this advice.
If the information in the article was true and wasp spray was effective like mace then i could see the benefits.
Less cost and less noticeable.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
Seems to me that if all your replies are accurate that it is incredibly irresponsible for the LEO and self defense instructor cited in this article to be giving this advice.
If the information in the article was true and wasp spray was effective like mace then i could see the benefits.
Another explanation is ignorance. There's a fair amount of that going around...

Offline birddogdad

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/bruce.wallin.1
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:42 PM »

only in "Merica would using something on someone who is committing an illegal act be considered illegal.... oh the irony..
MMCM/SS USN retired
1981-2011
my girls- Large Munsterlander's Molly, Candy and Abbie.

Offline Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »
 :) I have heard for many years from many sources including LEO that Wasp spray is very effective, more than pepper???? I have no idea. I have also heard of LEO's using pepper and it was not effective :dunno: :dunno:  everytime.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »

only in "Merica would using something on someone who is committing an illegal act be considered illegal.... oh the irony..
Better to be judged by 12 than buried by 6, but there are better options.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »

OR maybe another explanation is the whole story is fabricated. 

https://www.truthorfiction.com/wasp-spray/

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 12:55:45 PM »

I read it in a Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: email. It must be true.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
Nothing replaces LEAD.   :chuckle:
" we deal in lead friend"
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »

"He said that he did not believe that any police department would suggest the use of wasp spray as a criminal deterrent.  He did offer the church a valuable tip when counting the offering and that was to lock the door."

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
I'm pretty confident the whole thing is fiction, but I do have a fun anecdote that is 100% true.  The original "tranquilizer dart" guns are made by the Palmer Cap Chur Equipment Co.  I was issued an old Palmer dart rifle and kit, and had the original manual written by Red Palmer, the inventor and founder of the company.  Red was a good ol' Georgia  country boy, and stated in his manual that in addition to delivering capture drugs to animals, a Palmer dart full of Tabasco sauce would ensure that a thief never returned to your home or place of business.  I'm assuming he meant deterrent ... :chuckle: :chuckle:
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 03:45:09 PM »
Yea and while you are at it you might as well use motor oil for salad dressing and rubbing compound for toothpaste. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »
Yea and while you are at it you might as well use motor oil for salad dressing and rubbing compound for toothpaste. 

MMMmmm vinaigrette!!

Online shadowless_nite

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
My boss, when I was  working at a small mom and pop auto shop, had a can handy by the front desk. I found it comical  :chuckle:

Online konradcountry

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »
I read somewhere that the idea comes from NYC where pepper spray isn't illegal but has a lot of restrictions. So people would buy a can of wasp spray and leave it near the door.

This is from NYC code:
(c) The net weight of every self-defense spray device shall not exceed 0.75 ounce.

So the people's nanny state only allows the tiny purse sized cans which require getting close to use it.

But using wasp spray as an alternative is a bad idea. If you don't stop the attacker he might take the can and use it against you.