collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AT LT tires for a ford-F150  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
AT LT tires for a ford-F150
« on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Looking for a set of LT tires for a 2016 F-150

Has anyone had these tires I been looking at? Any feed back would be appreciated. Will put these on another set of Wheels and use as my winter/hunting tires.

1. Kuhmo road Venture a/t 51
2. Cooper Discoverers AT 3
3. Yokohama  Geolandars.
4. Falken wild peak a/t 3

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Re: AT LT tires for a ford-F150
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
I run the Coopers and love them. Put 10 ply's on your F-150 and you should 60k or better out of them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:59:10 AM by Woodchuck »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:53:28 AM »
We've been running the Coopers at work. Don't seem to wear great and are rock grabbers!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
Cooper Discover AT - My dad was a large tire distributer, I could have had anything I wanted installed on my truck and I used Cooper Discoverer AT a lot.  It is a fabulous tire and most sizes are available in Load Range C & E.   

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:50 AM »
I have really liked my Cooper Discovery AT3s on my F150 supercrew

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
Absolutely hated my Cooper AT3's.  In the winter on slick roads the back end of my F150 was always trying to loose grip and kick out even with substantial weight in the back.  I switched last year to the KO2's and couldn't be happier.  FWIW you couldn't pay me to put another set of AT3's on my truck.  I know they're a popular tire but I didn't care for them at all. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:57:59 PM by skeeter 20i »
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 10:51:54 PM »
I had 235's 10 ply Cooper SST's on my F-150. Later put a set of the same on my F-350. Loved them and got 60K easy on the 150, maybe 45K on the 350. I now run BFG KM2's Mud terrain. They are less noisy than the Cooper SST's. Waaay better traction. Just jump into it and don't be scared of a BFG mud terrain. You'll love them. Got about same mileage on my 350 with BFG as the Cooper and traction is far superior year round.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »
Cooper is an American tire manufacturer and makes many private label tires for big chains like Les Schwab.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »
I got about 40 k out of my 10 ply Cooper's on my 12 f 150.  I've ran them for years on many different trucks and have never gotten close to 60 k.  Maybe if you run them bald you could do it.
Switched to the bf goodrich at ko2 and they perform much better. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »
I got about 40 k out of my 10 ply Cooper's on my 12 f 150.  I've ran them for years on many different trucks and have never gotten close to 60 k.  Maybe if you run them bald you could do it.
Switched to the bf goodrich at ko2 and they perform much better.

I had a regular cab v 6 and ran 235's. Not the wide, tall rims with shallow tread depth.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Booner

• Tracker
AT LT tires for a ford-F150
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »
I currently have the Falkens (275 65 18) but mine are P rated, I don't need or want a 10 ply. They have been great for me in the snow and on the logging roads. Great road manners wet or dry. Depending on the mileage I would likely but again. About 10k miles and they still look new. No issues to speak of.

I had the Coopers on my Xterra, they were ok. Didn't get any snow use since I got rid of the X when I got my F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »
I currently have the Falkens (275 65 18) but mine are P rated, I don't need or want a 10 ply. They have been great for me in the snow and on the logging roads. Great road manners wet or dry. Depending on the mileage I would likely but again. About 10k miles and they still look new. No issues to speak of.

I had the Coopers on my Xterra, they were ok. Didn't get any snow use since I got rid of the X when I got my F150.

Do what you want, it's your life that is at stake, but I would not run P-rated tires on logging roads and risk a stone bruise that results in separation of the belts and a catastrophic tire failure on the freeway at 70 mph when the tire heats up on the drive home.   

If you remember back to the early days of the Ford Explorer they were equipped w/P rated tires and while the tire manufacturing process did result in defective tires it was the opinion of many, if not most, people in the tire world that Ford should not have equipped the Explorer w/passenger car tires and then marketed it as an off road vehicle.  Passenger car tires are cheap and they have relatively thin sidewall construction compared to LT tires (less rotating weight = higher gas milage) and I would never risk my life of the life of my family by running passenger car tires on a vehicle that will see off pavement use. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:09:43 AM by JDHasty »

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 09:57:48 AM »
I like quiet tires.

That being said I have the Cooper discoverer AT3 on my F250 and they are very quiet. Supposed to last 55k miles.

I have the Cooper Discoverer ATP on my Colorado and they are a wee bit noisey.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »
I like quiet tires.

That being said I have the Cooper discoverer AT3 on my F250 and they are very quiet. Supposed to last 55k miles.

I have the Cooper Discoverer ATP on my Colorado and they are a wee bit noisey.

Me too.

I ran the Goodyear 10 ply rated Pro Grade Silent Armor Wrangler for about ten years and liked them quite well.  We have Michelin LTX on both vehicles, I run the 10 ply rated tire on my pickup that sees off road use and is used to tow.  I like it well. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »

Do what you want, it's your life that is at stake, but I would not run P-rated tires on logging roads and risk a stone bruise that results in separation of the belts and a catastrophic tire failure on the freeway at 70 mph when the tire heats up on the drive home.   

If you remember back to the early days of the Ford Explorer they were equipped w/P rated tires and while the tire manufacturing process did result in defective tires it was the opinion of many, if not most, people in the tire world that Ford should not have equipped the Explorer w/passenger car tires and then marketed it as an off road vehicle.  Passenger car tires are cheap and they have relatively thin sidewall construction compared to LT tires (less rotating weight = higher gas milage) and I would never risk my life of the life of my family by running passenger car tires on a vehicle that will see off pavement use.
With all due respect your facts are wrong.

The tires for the explorers had a lower max psi stamped on them 27 or 28 instead of the 35, and nearly all the massive failures were in the south/west in the summer do to excess heat build-up.

I personally wouldn't want p rated tires on my half ton and certainly not 18". I'd likely drop down to 17" and run a heavier ply myself off-road especially if loaded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr