collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's your hunting standard group?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
What's your hunting standard group?
« on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
Everyone has there own ideas of when they are ready for the season. What is your standard group or shot distances when you feel ready. I'm not here to judge . I'm a new hunter and looking to others input. Thanks Jason

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: What's your hunting standard group?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »
When I can only shoot one arrow at a time at a spot on the target at 30 yards without the fear of robinhooding another expensive arrow.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
Hit a clay bird consistently at max range. 

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »
For me I shoot both compound and recurve so these are my guidelines:

Compound out to 40yards 1-2in group
Recurve out to 25 yards 2-3in group (softball size or less)

Deer:
Max distance using a compound is 40 yards if everything is ideal but I like them under 35yards in general
Max distance using a recurve is 25 yards prefer them to be around 20 or less

Elk:
Max distance with compound is 40 yards
Max Distance with a recurve 30 but prefer them to be 25 or less.

I can group well out to 50-55 with my compound and have shot ok out to 35 with my recurve but I prefer to keep things closer knowing that I'm going to be excited and conditions are rarely as perfect as when I'm at the range.

When you're new to bow hunting I would try to keep shots under 30 knowing that there will be a lot of nerves/excitement to deal with. Try doing some quick sprints then shooting, it will show you how effective you are with your heart pumping. To me guys that kill animals under 20 yards are far more impressive then guys killing animals out past 50. That's my  :twocents:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:24:35 PM by Cab »

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:09:27 AM »

Deer:
Max distance using a compound is 40 yards if everything is ideal but I like them under 35yards in general

Elk:

I can group well out to 50-55 with my compound and have shot ok out to 35 with my recurve but I prefer to keep things closer knowing that I'm going to be excited and conditions are really as perfect as when I'm at the range.

When you're new to bow hunting I would try to keep shots under 30 knowing that there will be a lot of nerves/excitement to deal with. Try doing some quick sprints then shooting, it will show you how effective you are with your heart pumping. To me guys that kill animals under 20 yards are far more impressive then guys killing animals out past 50. That's my  :twocents:

:yeah:
Great advice. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »

Deer:

Elk:

I can group well out to 50-55 with my compound and have shot ok out to 35 with my recurve but I prefer to keep things closer knowing that I'm going to be excited and conditions are really as perfect as when I'm at the range.

Great advice.

I thought so too

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:14 PM »

Deer:

Elk:

Great advice.

I thought so too
I will take that to heart. Thank you

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:35:44 PM »
Every guy is different if you can hit a softball with three shots consistently I'd say that's you effective  range . A relaxed animal is very different  from alerted for sure. One mistake I often see is guys aim to close to the shoulder hold back three or four inches back that way three inches  left or right still hit vitals.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
Every guy is different if you can hit a softball with three shots consistently I'd say that's you effective  range . A relaxed animal is very different  from alerted for sure. One mistake I often see is guys aim to close to the shoulder hold back three or four inches back that way three inches  left or right still hit vitals.

Yup! Shot placement is key, I reccomend Steven Rinellas book "complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking big game" It has a whole section showing you the proper shot placement based on the angle of the animal and their biology. It covers every weapon and how to use, tune, and dial in that weapon to be affective. Best $17 you can buy if you are new to hunting.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »
I remember when I first started bow hunting I thought I knew it all. My wife and I took the Washington state bowhunter education course in 1986. Glen St.Charles told us that getting close and working on your hunting skills and woodsmanship skills will kill more animals than anything else. Getting close as possible was key in harvesting an animal with a bow.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

Yup! Shot placement is key, I reccomend Steven Rinellas book "complete guide to hunting, butchering and cooking big game" It has a whole section showing you the proper shot placement based on the angle of the animal and their biology. It covers every weapon and how to use, tune, and dial in that weapon to be affective. Best $17 you can buy if you are new to hunting.
Its a awesome book bought it a few months ago!

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
It may sound strange but I know I'm ready when I'm shooting with conference. You know when you are and when your not.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
I highly recommend Lon Lauber's "Bowhunter's guide to accurate shooting". It is a tremendous book with some insights that have really helped me. He discusses effective range in one of the chapters.
I personally think that consistent six inch groups at a given distance are a reasonable guide to effective range on big game animals.  Best of luck to you!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
It may sound strange but I know I'm ready when I'm shooting with conference. You know when you are and when your not.
We know what you mean !  But more guys is always better.  Hehe

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
When I can only shoot one arrow at a time at a spot on the target at 30 yards without the fear of robinhooding another expensive arrow.
Or 2" groups at 60
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:31:40 PM by PolarBear »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg