collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What's your hunting standard group?  (Read 12103 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: What's your hunting standard group?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
Waiting for the " If I can get 3 shots on a paper plate at 20 yards I'm good too go" post.  :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 10:26:28 PM »
Waiting for the " If I can get 3 shots on a paper plate at 20 1000 yards I'm good too go" post.  :chuckle:

Done !

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
Waiting for the " If I can get 3 shots on a paper plate at 20 yards I'm good too go" post.  :chuckle:

I used to know a guy who said exactly that.  I don't think he ever took a shot past twenty yards, hunted from a self climbing stand and he killed a lot of elk.   

Offline throttlejocky20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 11:27:00 AM »
Know your limits. Just because you can shoot a distance at the range does not mean you can do it at an animal in a hunting situation. I shoot out to 80+ yards consistently but i wouldnt take that shot on an animal. Just keep in mind when archery hunting sometimes the best shot is taking no shot at all.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 10:41:21 PM »
Know your limits. Just because you can shoot a distance at the range does not mean you can do it at an animal in a hunting situation. I shoot out to 80+ yards consistently but i wouldnt take that shot on an animal. Just keep in mind when archery hunting sometimes the best shot is taking no shot at all.
Yeah, I learned that painful lesson a few years ago. Was a real motivator to improve my skills
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »
I don't actually group my arrows. Those things are expensive.
I take 30-50 shots a day.
My practice block has 5 targets on it and my quiver holds 5 arrows.  Easy math.
I believe in the 6" pie plate rule. That keeps your shots within 3" of bullseye.
I am most concerned with one shot in particular each day. The first shot. That is the one that will count on the hunt. The rest are just for building/ maintaining strength and form.
Good luck this year.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
I don't actually group my arrows. Those things are expensive.
I take 30-50 shots a day.
My practice block has 5 targets on it and my quiver holds 5 arrows.  Easy math.
I believe in the 6" pie plate rule. That keeps your shots within 3" of bullseye.
I am most concerned with one shot in particular each day. The first shot. That is the one that will count on the hunt. The rest are just for building/ maintaining strength and form.
Good luck this year.

I have 2413 XX75s that have dents all over them, I used to shoot my arrows into groups of a dozen or so thirty years ago when I was shooting XX75s and I had my practice arrows and my hunting arrows.  The aluminum arrows had a taper that the nock glued onto and I had to replace nocks all the time, but only Robin Hooded them about once a week.  The carbon arrows are another matter altogether.  It seems that I cannot shoot five at the same bullseye w/o losing a couple arrows every time.   

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
I do groups for adjusting my sight, and look for a group that is fist size or smaller.
Not really liking to shoot for groups, like others have mentioned.  I still use aluminum 31" 2219s and trying to find any replacements is a real challenge in itself.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 10:37:38 AM »
Take your worst practice group and multiply that by 2.5 and that will give you a good idea of your hunting accuracy taking into consideration nerves, live animal, terrain, weather, and fatigue. I can shoot 6 inch groups at 80 and missed at 57 last year.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Aim small miss small. Shoot a lot at varying distances. My block has 6 spots on one side. I don't shoot groups anymore as others have said it gets expensive. If you're going to wear a bino harness start shooting with it on as well. Simulate hunting scenarios the best you can. Range the target before shooting. I'm currently shooting and tuning to my practice broadheads. Not a lot of time left to get yourself and equipment dialed in. I also practice out to longer distances but won't take those shots on an animal. Too many variables to take into account at those distances. Some guys do, I prefer not to. I run a 5 pin set up out to 60 yrds and shoot 60+ frequently and am on target consistently but when it comes time for that one shot I won't push past 40 yrds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hot Lunch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
I've heard Aron Snydor talk in depth about this. Some guys can shoot targets and not animals, some guys can shoot animals and not targets. I subscribe to the 1st shot of the day theory, when that's going good every day for a week I'm ready. I usually practice my cold barrel shot at 50 yards.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 07:15:24 PM »
I've heard Aron Snydor talk in depth about this. Some guys can shoot targets and not animals, some guys can shoot animals and not targets. I subscribe to the 1st shot of the day theory, when that's going good every day for a week I'm ready. I usually practice my cold barrel shot at 50 yards.

Nate Simmons talks about this all the time on Western Hunter.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »

Ha!

I was an AA class trap shooter and heard that too.  Most trap shooters have heard it.  It is garbage.  The difference is that wile they claim to "not shoot that well on targets, never miss on birds," there isn't an impartial score keeper keeping track. 

I have been in the field with the best, guys who shot international on the US Air Force team, and when shooting flushed covey birds ave seen triple after triple and it wasn't much even talked about.  You shoot in the field next an AA class shooter and you are going to get schooled.  Most of the talk was about the quality of the dogs.

When I was shooting a thousand targets a week I would shoot triples on rising covey birds and it was so fast that I never remembered pulling the trigger.  Once you are shooting at that level pointing a gun is like pointing your finger at something.  Your muscle memory is tuned to a razor's edge and your eye hand coordination is  crazy good and your reflexes are fast.  That is how it is with other shooting disciplines, particularly archery.   

I have been in the field with all else from novices to those who:  Don't shoot targets well, but never miss in the field and if a guy scored a single triple it was all he talked about for weeks on end. 

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »
When my first shot (out cold) hits my spot and feels good. Then I'm ready. I used to care about grouping. Now I could NOT CARE LESS about tight groups. If the first shot goes where I want at 20 then Ive found it will go where I want at 50 (given all my pins are set correctly).

I max myself out at 50 on an animal. Even an elk with a HUGE kill zone. Never shot at a deer over 30 but I deer hunt almost exclusively from stands. I have a 60 pin just for the necessity of a second arrow.

"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw