collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Breaking wolf news  (Read 31149 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Breaking wolf news
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I wonder if LPCs on calves might work.  That would remove offending wolves from the pack and teach the rest of the pack a valuable lesson at the same time.  I know they work well for coyote predation on sheep, but don't know if they have been used on cattle for use against wolves. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 11:59:12 AM »
I agree it's all a waste of money, and there's no end to killing problem wolves. But, to set the record straight, nobody spent any money to bring wolves into Washington. They walked across the border with no help from us.

We've been spending buckets of it ever since. And don't believe for a minute we didn't spend money to establish the wolf plan. Studies, experts, hearings, electronics - we spent plenty "letting them come in."

Of course the state has spent a ton of money on wolf management / wolf studies. No argument there. I was only pointing out that the state didn't bring the wolves here, as many people mistakenly seem to believe.

Moot point. The spending is astronomical. And, the people who believe wolves were physically transplanted will never be convinced otherwise.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:06:45 PM »
The ranchers grazing Smackout told me they were afraid this would be the year they get hit because they lost two cattle last year near the end of grazing season. Looks like the wolves were just waiting for more beef. The ranchers have completely cooperated and have jumped through every hoop since the beginning to satisfy WDFW and Conservation Northwest, they have kept a range rider on the ground 24/7 watching the cattle and hazing wolves. The simple fact is that wolves like eating livestock.

Anyone know what the cost is to the producer to hire "WDFW contracted range riders"?
Sounds expensive to me.

I think a good portion is funded by WDFW and/or Conservation Northwest.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
I almost forgot to mention this is the same pack that attacked my neighbor a couple years ago while hunting elk. Several had been flanking him, he heard a noise to one side turned and shot it in mid air jumping at him! Good thing he got off the shot! (this was all quietly confirmed by WDFW and received very little publicity)
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
I almost forgot to mention this is the same pack that attacked my neighbor a couple years ago while hunting elk. Several had been flanking him, he heard a noise to one side turned and shot it in mid air jumping at him! Good thing he got off the shot! (this was all quietly confirmed by WDFW and received very little publicity)
:yike:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
Been in the middle of them a couple times.    They are pretty "hawkie" already.    It wont be long before its a two legger that gets nailed. 

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Been in the middle of them a couple times.    They are pretty "hawkie" already.    It wont be long before its a two legger that gets nailed.

:yeah:  Fortunately I have not been in a bad situation yet, but my son has a few times at night walking out with his dogs in Idaho. But in Idaho they are being hunted now and are much more elusive than they were 5 or 10 years ago. They just need to delist in WA, after a few shots are fired wolves really smarten up!

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:23 PM »

Moot point. The spending is astronomical. And, the people who believe wolves were physically transplanted will never be convinced otherwise.
[/quote]

Well if wolves weren't transplanted and northern pike weren't transplanted either and just travelled across the border, how come we are netting pike and promoting wolves?   

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39:42 PM »
There are not many Pike huggers out there.  Wolves are cute........  :rolleyes:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »

Well if wolves weren't transplanted and northern pike weren't transplanted either and just travelled across the border, how come we are netting pike and promoting wolves?
[/quote]

Because DOW and HSUS aren't trying to increase fishing opportunities. They're trying to eliminate hunting. The WDFW and our esteemed governor are listening to them and doing what they're told.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:02 PM »
quit spending money make some money  open draw in problem areas i know i would apply

Offline CGDucksandDeer

• Tracker
  • Groups: cgducksanddeer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
The ranchers grazing Smackout told me they were afraid this would be the year they get hit because they lost two cattle last year near the end of grazing season. Looks like the wolves were just waiting for more beef. The ranchers have completely cooperated and have jumped through every hoop since the beginning to satisfy WDFW and Conservation Northwest, they have kept a range rider on the ground 24/7 watching the cattle and hazing wolves.

Anyone know what the cost is to the producer to hire "WDFW contracted range riders"?
Sounds expensive to me.

I think a good portion is funded by WDFW and/or Conservation Northwest.

While it differs depending on allotment and pack, in this case that is correct for several of the ranchers involved. More context on that: http://www.conservationnw.org/news/updates/statement-on-smackout-pack

A season of range riding costs about $20k between salary, gas, lodging and food (less in some areas, more in others. Depends on # of staff, equipment and stock needs, acreage, and accessibility of the landscape). That's a big new burden, and it's right to help offset those costs. Especially as in WDFW's case that money comes primarily from revenue from vanity license plate sales, and does not come from hunter or angler license revenues. 

There are other ranchers in the Smackout area, as well as across Eastern Washington, that are implementing and financing their own conflict avoidance measures. They prefer to do it on their own dime, and it's basically ramped up cowboy-ing; keeping the cows bunched and monitoring for sick or injured stock with some wolf tracking, biology, and at times, hazing, mixed in. Why do it? Because the stuff works, it just doesn't work 100% of the time, as we're seeing today, and have seen in other states and provinces. 

Personally, I much agree there will be less of these incidents, and much more wary wolves, once recovery goals are met and a special permit system is established to provide wolf tags in GMUs with depredating packs. Still a few years out, but it will come.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
The breeding pairs requirement for three consecutive years will hold us up for quite a few years!  :bash:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 04:54:23 PM »
The breeding pairs requirement for three consecutive years will hold us up for quite a few years!  :bash:

Loading up the wildlife commission with animal rights groups will make it far longer still.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »

Loading up the wildlife commission with animal rights groups will make it far longer still.

What will WA ungulates look like with another ten years of wolves?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]