collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10MM for backcountry self defense  (Read 18003 times)

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
10MM for backcountry self defense
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:37:22 PM »
Here comes a hot topic and hopefully not TOO heated a conversation  :sry: :chuckle:

I've been looking for a new handgun just in general for a while to have that holds more than my M&p shield (8+1) and a longer barrel (less than 3.5inches currently)

Since I plan on high buck this year I know I'll be in bear country and even potentially grizzly country.

Let's NOT get into a debate about wether I should use spray or a gun, I'm not going there.

Let's just say **** hits the fan and the last resort is a handgun, how would a glock 20 do?
I know it sure as h-e-double hockey sticks would be better than nothing and still substantially better than a 9mm or .40 (especially if the 10mm I choose is a load packed to the 10mm's potential)
No I don't want a revolver that I will only ever use when I'm hunting, I want a semi-auto like a glock (I shoot glocks well)

Wht do you guys think?

Any of you have a glock 20 and want to share your experiences?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
Re: 10MM for backcountry self defense
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »
Also the fact that it's a 10mm and it also holds 15+1 is ridiculous.
16 rounds of the best semi-auto caliber for bear defense  :twocents:

Offline Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:57:55 PM »
I've got the big brother (g40 mos) as my back country gun. I used a revolver prior to that (s&w 627) and still think it's a better all around woods gun, but for reasons you stated went semi auto 10mm. I also have a trijicon rmr on mine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:06:28 PM »
I've got a Glock 20 and the smaller G29 10mm. I use them both when I hunt in the Alaskan backcountry in grizzly country. I think the 10mm is a decent choice for bear protection.

There are much more powerful handguns but with the Glock you get 15+1 capacity and quicker follow up shots than a gang cannon. I also like putting a weapon light on mine for when I'm sleeping in my night in case I have to repel a bear assault in the middle of the night.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:13 PM »
I think ammo choice is equally as important as caliber for bear defense.  If you don't reload, those 220g hard cast loads from Buffalo Bore would be my bear defense bullet if I had a 10mm.   

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
I've got a Glock 20 and the smaller G29 10mm. I use them both when I hunt in the Alaskan backcountry in grizzly country. I think the 10mm is a decent choice for bear protection.

There are much more powerful handguns but with the Glock you get 15+1 capacity and quicker follow up shots than a gang cannon. I also like putting a weapon light on mine for when I'm sleeping in my night in case I have to repel a bear assault in the middle of the night.
Sounds pretty awesome! How does the G20 shoot?
How's the accuracy?
Is the recoil THAT bad or is it fairly manageable?

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:13:06 PM »
I think ammo choice is equally as important as caliber for bear defense.  If you don't reload, those 220g hard cast loads from Buffalo Bore would be my bear defense bullet if I had a 10mm.
Right!!

I saw a hickok45 video on heavy hard cast bullets through the glock 20 and it was pretty crazy! The double tap 230gr hard cast tumbled like mad even at only 20yds making hickok look like a bad shot ( :yike: )
But the 200gr double tap hard cash were very solid results and I think I would probably start there if indeed I get me a glock 20.

I'd also love to send a pic to my friend with a .380 and tell him I think my new gun at yours for breakfast  ;)

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
I've used those hard cast loads from Buffalo Bore for years for bear protection.  Never needed one but they pack a punch on the range.  I run the 180s in my S&W 627 w/Burris fastfire red dot.   8 shots is plenty, with moonclip for reloading another 8. 

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »

How's the accuracy?

The Glock 20 is pretty accurate. I don't think the recoil is terrible, definitely more snap than my Glock 21 .45 but still very manageable.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »
I've used those hard cast loads from Buffalo Bore for years for bear protection.  Never needed one but they pack a punch on the range.  I run the 180s in my S&W 627 w/Burris fastfire red dot.   8 shots is plenty, with moonclip for reloading another 8.
The buffalo bore 220gr?
Is the recoil much worse since it's a higher grain than the "standard" 180-200gr 10mm bullets? Or maybe about the same?

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »

How's the accuracy?

The Glock 20 is pretty accurate. I don't think the recoil is terrible, definitely more snap than my Glock 21 .45 but still very manageable.

I see great info, thanks. The "still very manageable" part is what I wanted to hear   :rockin:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »
I'm no expert, but I do love my G20.    I bought it for the extra juice, but have found it to be very accurate.

As for recoil....   My 14 year old daughter is fairly prissy, and she loves shooting it.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 12:11:16 AM »
I'm no expert, but I do love my G20.    I bought it for the extra juice, but have found it to be very accurate.

As for recoil....   My 14 year old daughter is fairly prissy, and she loves shooting it.

The fact she's 14 and she likes shooting anything is an accomplishment in itself in my book!!!
But great news! Thanks!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:57 AM »
I had both the G29 and G20 for a while and they were both decent guns. They never shot (or I was never able to shoot them) as accurately as I would have liked. Neither would do better than 2" at 25 yards from a rest no matter what bullet I tried. I switched to a Dan Wesson CCBT 10mm and groups were cut in half.

I'm a revolver guy at heart so recoil and ballistics from a 10mm were never that impressive to me. A light weight 41 or 44 mag will run circles around the 10mm ballistically but not have the advantsges that a semi will offer in some scenarios. I think you could get a G20, load it up with 200gr bullets and be very pleased with what you've got.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 07:21:44 AM »
Ted Nugent used the 10mm to finish a cape buffalo.  Good ammo and a steady hand!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]