collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What diesel pickup to get  (Read 41208 times)

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
Re: What diesel pickup to get
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 09:22:43 AM »
I have bought two Dodge's in my life, my first and last. Love the Cummins and Mercedes G56 6sp. The rest is a cheap pile of scrap.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
The Cummins 6speed stick is a workhorse and the only reason to buy a new Dodge. I'd consider a new one but you can't take the new emissions crap off a commercial vehicle, big no no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
As far as deletes go.....is that something that some shops will do for a customer or is that something a mechanic would/could get in trouble for doing?

It's illegal for the shops to do the deletes.  H&S got busted for removing emissions stuff and they basically got shut down.  Unfortunate because they made killer tuners which are now gone or on a black market.  Some dealers won't touch your truck if you have the emissions stuff removed, even if it's for an oil change.  Most will just turn their heads for an oil change.  But if you have a major issue, you might be searching around.

I have a 2012 cummins 6.7 fully deleted with an H&S mini maxx in it and 5" straight pipe turbo back.  If you're looking for better mileage, deleting is the only way to go on these newer diesels.  I am on 37's, but average around 18.5 - 19 with mine in a street tune going 75 on summer fuel.  If I knock it down to 60 I'll get 20-21 mpg.  I bought a 2012 because of the DEF fluid issue, which I agree isn't a big deal and you can even delete that too on the newer ones, and the 2012 only has one fuel filter.  In 2013 I believe they went to two fuel filters.  Everyone has their own opinions on the brands.  Knock on wood, I haven't had an issues and have several buddies with cummins and they haven't either aside from ball joints which are common on dodges.  Each brand has their own issues. 

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 11:16:34 AM »
"fully deleted with an H&S mini maxx in it and 5" straight pipe turbo back."

This is the exact way my 2010 F-350 was set up.
Awesome combo especially if you let it breath better too.

The mini max is awesome and the street setting is perfect.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
Here's a pic of my '09 F350, 6.4L, SD, 6 speed manual with 56k, male anatomy enhancement device. :chuckle: Had 46k on it when I bought it in January. Has egr delete and that's it. I found the previous owner and he said it had a Spartan tuner in it but who knows where that ended up. I love this truck. Haven't had a single issue with it yet, knock on wood. I traded a 2011 Chev 2500 Dura Max in on it and don't regret it at all. I bought the Chev used and never had an issue with the engine or tranny, they were great. It was just all the other stuff like the DEF issues, the heater motor went out the middle of last winter over in E'burg during the cold and snow, not fun. Just got tired of the issues and went back to the Blue Oval.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 12:36:21 PM »
As far as deletes go.....is that something that some shops will do for a customer or is that something a mechanic would/could get in trouble for doing?

It's illegal for the shops to do the deletes.  H&S got busted for removing emissions stuff and they basically got shut down.  Unfortunate because they made killer tuners which are now gone or on a black market.  Some dealers won't touch your truck if you have the emissions stuff removed, even if it's for an oil change.  Most will just turn their heads for an oil change.  But if you have a major issue, you might be searching around.

I have a 2012 cummins 6.7 fully deleted with an H&S mini maxx in it and 5" straight pipe turbo back.  If you're looking for better mileage, deleting is the only way to go on these newer diesels.  I am on 37's, but average around 18.5 - 19 with mine in a street tune going 75 on summer fuel.  If I knock it down to 60 I'll get 20-21 mpg.  I bought a 2012 because of the DEF fluid issue, which I agree isn't a big deal and you can even delete that too on the newer ones, and the 2012 only has one fuel filter.  In 2013 I believe they went to two fuel filters.  Everyone has their own opinions on the brands.  Knock on wood, I haven't had an issues and have several buddies with cummins and they haven't either aside from ball joints which are common on dodges.  Each brand has their own issues.

This isn't true, shops can delete vehicles all day long. 
You do however have to sign a form (if the shop is smart enough to cover their butt) saying that it's for "off highway or racing use only"  same as the disclaimer when you purchase these products from the internet. 

Not sure if a factory dealer will do it.  I know you lose your warranty in most if not all cases.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »

This isn't true, shops can delete vehicles all day long. 
You do however have to sign a form (if the shop is smart enough to cover their butt) saying that it's for "off highway or racing use only"  same as the disclaimer when you purchase these products from the internet. 

Not sure if a factory dealer will do it.  I know you lose your warranty in most if not all cases.

Sorry, I was thinking of factory dealers, not all shops.  Should have clarified. 

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Good info.  Thanks for answering my question.......for a while there I didn't think anyone would answer and I didn't feel like googling at this point.  I used to have an older early 90's diesel and that was before all the newer emissions crap.  I would like to get another diesel someday, but that won't be for a while. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
I believe most of the Dodge and Chevy dealers will do the chip/delete thingy because it's the only way they can run with the Ford.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
I believe most of the Dodge and Chevy dealers will do the chip/delete thingy because it's the only way they can run with the Ford.

I love the jokes in this thread.

The best diesel truck is the one that's paid for...

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »

I look at the price of a new one and I'm oh hell no!  No way I am pay $50,000+ or more for a fricken vehicle.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »

I look at the price of a new one and I'm oh hell no!  No way I am pay $50,000+ or more for a fricken vehicle.

:yeah: I saw a sticker price of $72,000.00 the other day. On a Dodge none the less! I wouldn't pay more than the cost of a decent cheeseburger for a Dodge. Not even because the mirrors go from pull mode to super pull mode.

:chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
LMAO^^^^^
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
Yea, they are crazy expensive.  My F150 eco boost, 4X4 crew cab was $33K.  That was the cheapest I could get.  Buying a diesel F250 or F350 is crazy expensive.  What about a F450 or F550? 
275 down 2

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
Deals can be had if you shop around and have time on your side. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]