collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hell's Canyon Rafting  (Read 7177 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hell's Canyon Rafting
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 11:55:36 AM »
That's really cool! I want to do that with my kids. Maybe next summer. What was the cost? So you had bighorn sheep walking right through your camp?   
They're pretty tame. The amount of wildlife in that hole is pretty impressive. Did a jet boat ride up it as a kid, only time I've ever seen river otters. One of my dads friends used to own the rafting business there back in the 80's. there's slides of some massive mulies he got pictures of in there. As a kid one of the old timers I was around was a guy named Max Walker. He's one of the guys in the picture at the Kirkwood ranch with the black bear. The stories he had of working in there were interesting.

That Canyon is a hole in time. If you can't raft it you need to at least take a jet boat ride up it.

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
Hell's Canyon Rafting
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
Cool! I saw that picture of the two guys with the black bear in the Museum at the the Kirkwood ranch.   

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
Cool! I saw that picture of the two guys with the black bear in the Museum at the the Kirkwood ranch.   

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
The bear ended up in the river shortly after the photo. Pissed off the ranch owner as it was a tuff old bear and didn't see why they took the time to pack it down there. Took photos and threw it in the river. Predators were shot in those days without necessarily worrying about saving the meat. Max worked for Kirkwood in the 20's. If he had an empty pack animal coming back from Lewiston, it got loaded with avionics fuel for the moonshiners since it burned without making any smoke.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
What an awesome trip.  Thanks for sharing the photos.
:yeah: :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline silverdalesauer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
  • Faith, Family, Hunting, Fishing, and Dogs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/tiebinds
    • The Tie That Binds: Outdoor Ministry
  • Groups: Christian Waterfowlers Association; NRA Life Member; GOA; DU; DW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
As YoungFowler's father, I wish I could have gone with he, his brother and mother, but the only trip I took each day was to the office. :)

From the sounds of it, though, this is an ideal trip for anyone with children ages 8 and up. They take care of the gear, the food, the set up and take down, and all the essentials. All you have to do is show up, apply sunscreen, and climb in the raft. They even have fishing tackle available to use. Both boys caught at least 40+ fish and enjoyed some unique time with their grandmother, aunt and mother.

Maybe another time, I'll get to go.  :dunno:
Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate. - Psalm 127:3-5

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
Looks Awesome!!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline krapmit

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
I did a guided fishing trip my senior year of highschool with my dad and some friends in hells canyon. Put in at pittsburg landing and fished many miles up river. It was the most majestic, beautiful country and bountiful wildlife I've ever seen.  I *censored* you not, you could catch 200 small mouth a day.  We caught an 11 foot sturgeon, big channel cats, a 26 inch wild rainbow and a small mouth every other cast with a little spinner and night crawler.  big class 4 rapids with a 600 hp jet boat, sheep mulies, chukar etc.

It was heaven. I can't wait to go back nad would love to do this float, however my camping spots would be all the top sturgeon holes..Sitting around catching smallies and drinking cold ones while the guides work on hooking a sturgeon for you to fight ..only god can draw up a scenario that lovely.

AWESOME TRIP AND IS ON MY BUCKET LIST.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
I did a guided fishing trip my senior year of highschool with my dad and some friends in hells canyon. Put in at pittsburg landing and fished many miles up river. It was the most majestic, beautiful country and bountiful wildlife I've ever seen.  I *censored* you not, you could catch 200 small mouth a day.  We caught an 11 foot sturgeon, big channel cats, a 26 inch wild rainbow and a small mouth every other cast with a little spinner and night crawler.  big class 4 rapids with a 600 hp jet boat, sheep mulies, chukar etc.

It was heaven. I can't wait to go back nad would love to do this float, however my camping spots would be all the top sturgeon holes..Sitting around catching smallies and drinking cold ones while the guides work on hooking a sturgeon for you to fight ..only god can draw up a scenario that lovely.

AWESOME TRIP AND IS ON MY BUCKET LIST.

Do you mind sharing the outfitter you used?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]