collapse
Sound like the real thing! Extreme Elk Magazine

Author Topic: Bear Spray vs Pistol while hunting in GRIZ country.....  (Read 3018 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
Re: Bear Spray vs Pistol while hunting in GRIZ country.....
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »
I've been thinking about carrying bear spray but I don't think it works on wolves and I have no idea about cats  :dunno:

Just today:
I was sitting on a knob doing a few cow calls in a cut the elk like to go up.  Deep dark cedar on the north side, big open feeding area on the south side, a transition area.  No elk, so I decided to bust down through the cut and check out another flat down below.  When I got about half way through the thick stuff (you know the type, can't wear your hat, gotta hold the bow behind you and plow through) I had a cougar hiss me.  It was about 10-15 feet away, quite loud and it wasn't a deer.  It didn't bust out either, just stayed there as I busted past, or I didn't hear it sneak out.  I was so bagged out and tired I didn't give a crap, out came the G20 and I didn't even pause    crash crash crash  It was so thick I think the cat woulda got hung up trying to get at me  :chuckle:

didn't see it following me when I got out in the open  :dunno:  meh - decided it didn't want none.

I KNOW the G20 will work on everything, charging grizz, wolves, cats, humans and whatever else wants some.  I'm no pistol rookie either.
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." -George Bernard.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Legend
Re: Bear Spray vs Pistol while hunting in GRIZ country.....
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »
There was a video posted on here of a guy that was either hiking or riding a bike and I think saw the cat cross the road infront of him or something. He had his can out and as he went past the cat came out to grab him from the ditch and he fogged it with bear spary and it put the brakes on the attack. He had it all on a gopro or something.

With wolves there is probably always going to be more then one and if the pack moves in and decides you are going down. Fogging one wont put a stop to the others. I am sure gun fire would be best in that situation.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

ElkNut Outdoor Productions