collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: So picking up a boat today...  (Read 21837 times)

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: So picking up a free boat today...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
I stripped down the guts of an older boat, stripped to the fiberglass for inspection. Then I just relayed in marine grey carpet throughout, used the 3M spray adhesive. Maybe cost $50-60 for everything. Don't need all the built in cubby' space and what .Then you have a blank canvas for seats, rod holders and storage.

Of course, mine was geared more towards an open, clear area for fishing....
Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I'm into open room to drop fish in boat or crab pots w.e

:tup: probably got yourself a sweet little fish getter. Make sure to check the bearings / grease on that trailer.

Just tend your own and live.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
There a specific tool to put grease into the wheels? Or just a general Greas gun?
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
You'll need this:

Even though it's a 50hp?

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 01:32:58 PM »
If it floats, use it as is until it sinks. Looks like you have a newer style Teleflex steering which is good. Shouldn't need more than maybe a little grease here and there. Yes- trailer. Inspect and re-pack bearings first.

I wouldn't do much to it involving any amount of money. Maybe plugs, new fuel lines and fuel. More than likely, based upon looking at the picture of it uncovered and sitting out, the stringers are almost certain to be wet and those lead you into the transom likely being wet. Only cure for wet stringer/transom is 100% replacement and if you can't do it yourself I doubt anyone would do it on a boat like this one. If it runs and you can have some fun for a while use it for that and don't put a dime into it. Use it as is would be my recommendation. If the seats are shot, throw them on the next bon fire and use some camp chairs.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
You'll need this:

Even though it's a 50hp?

Sorry, wrong manual.  They have a 48 to 235hp - make sure that it covers the right year.  What year is the engine?

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
Re: So picking up a boat today...
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 01:42:52 PM »
You'll need this:

Even though it's a 50hp?

Sorry, wrong manual.  They have a 48 to 235hp - make sure that it covers the right year.  What year is the engine?

No info on anything yet. I'll pull vin tonight and get age. Never seen the boat in person.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 01:49:04 PM »
Make sure the trailer can get the boat home, it's all work to keep you out of trouble after that :tup:  Have fun  and don't forget what BOAT stands for - Bring On Another Thousand :chuckle:

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 01:50:28 PM »
Meh, I'm probably going to catch crap for this, but I'd find it very hard to believe that you can't get that motor running, even if compression is low.  It doesn't have enough corrosion on it to have seen the salt very much (and its not quite big enough for serious salt use).  I'm sure you can get that motor going with a carb(s) cleaning, new plugs and a new battery.  Only outstanding issue you might face is needing a new water pump, which is a pain in the butt.  I'd also change the lower unit oil.  If you really want to compression test it, go "rent" the compression tester at oreillys and save your money.  You can check them out for free by paying full price and then returning them, its a program they have.  Still, I've seen several of these evinrudes run when compression levels were at the mid 80s PSI mark, they just start a little rough.

I bet you'll be fine.

Most boat trailer wheel bearings have standard zerk fittings for grease.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 02:04:47 PM »
80 PSI on both cylinders, sure that will run, but a twin with one cylinder near zero won’t.  I had a 6 cyl Merc once that had 1 bad cylinder, it ran Okay but really dirty, spit raw gas out the exhaust.  I retired it.

A cheap tester is about $15 or borrow one like you suggest.  It’s a 5 minute test and tells a lot. 

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
Meh, I'm probably going to catch crap for this, but I'd find it very hard to believe that you can't get that motor running, even if compression is low.  It doesn't have enough corrosion on it to have seen the salt very much (and its not quite big enough for serious salt use).  I'm sure you can get that motor going with a carb(s) cleaning, new plugs and a new battery.  Only outstanding issue you might face is needing a new water pump, which is a pain in the butt.  I'd also change the lower unit oil.  If you really want to compression test it, go "rent" the compression tester at oreillys and save your money.  You can check them out for free by paying full price and then returning them, its a program they have.  Still, I've seen several of these evinrudes run when compression levels were at the mid 80s PSI mark, they just start a little rough.

I bet you'll be fine.

Most boat trailer wheel bearings have standard zerk fittings for grease.
Being I was basically just handed a evinrude 50 i think it would be a crime to atleast not attempt to get it running. Same thing with my 9.9 evinrude. Didn't start, got it to start then wouldn't run, more work and it runs great. Just takes some tinkerin. I actually wouldn't mind gutting the boat. Putting in carpeted floors and seats and basically calling it good. Possibly new steering setup if it's needed.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 02:32:03 PM »
80 PSI on both cylinders, sure that will run, but a twin with one cylinder near zero won’t.  I had a 6 cyl Merc once that had 1 bad cylinder, it ran Okay but really dirty, spit raw gas out the exhaust.  I retired it.

A cheap tester is about $15 or borrow one like you suggest.  It’s a 5 minute test and tells a lot. 

Any idea what compression numbers I'm lookin for guys? Or should I just find a manual. Johnson/evinrude seem to be the ones people always claim to be tanks once they're up and running.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
I'm kind of a rough mechanic.  I've seen people look at outboards and scoff at 100psi and suggest the motor was trash.

Realistically, every motor is different.  The biggest thing people are looking for is to see if the difference between cylinders is very significant.  If you have a 4 cylinder engine and you get 94, 92, 95 and 74... supposedly that engine isn't long for the world.

I think my very very rough outboard analysis would be if you're 80-95, your engine is old, but should still run and will probably be fine, but things are possibly starting to get tired.  That said, I had a buddy who was running 65 lbs on an only Johnson 150 and it ran basically fine.  Id expect 95-105 for a motor of that age, but, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make that mark, that would just be my "oh, yep, that seems about right" number.  Few engines come higher than 140 or 145 new out of the box.  Given that its a two stroke and it hasn't been run in a while, I'd manually connect it to an external fuel tank and crank it over a few times before testing to ensure you have something in the cylinder that represents normal operation.  An engine that has been sitting dry for years would probably not give you a very accurate test.

I've never had an old evinrude be BAD bad on me though, you have to take the plugs out anyway to do the test, so just look at the plugs, make sure they're not rusty or something weird.  Clean them up with a wire brush, reinstall, and try to start it (make sure to hook up to water and get some clean fuel in it).  You never know, it might fire up.

Also, I use ether to save starters and my patience.  You're not supposed to in a 2 stroke, but as long as you don't do it often,  you should be fine.

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
14' is pretty small if you intend to take it on the salt.  It wont be too long before you're having fun, but sometimes a little scared and your wife asks for an upgrade.

I like free, lol, that IS the upgrade in my mind. I'm actually kinda excited about dinking around helping him fix it :) we had fun building up the jon boat. I think we should gut the entire thing, get that marine carpet and make a new floor, build a livewell box, stick a couple chairs in it, some pole holders, and a fish finder. Let's gooooooo  :fishin:

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »
There are many you tube vids on all manner of boat repair/mods etc. I've watched a bunch on transom and hull work, fiberglass tips/techniques.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »
There are many you tube vids on all manner of boat repair/mods etc. I've watched a bunch on transom and hull work, fiberglass tips/techniques.
Thanks quadrafire
That's basically how I learned literally from not knowing anything or terminology, to being able to completely disassemble and rebuild my 9.9 evinrude. Plus leeroysramblings is a blessing. He's got some really killer walkthroughs on fishing and outboard service.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:53:53 PM by Smossy »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]