collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: So picking up a boat today...  (Read 21836 times)

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: So picking up a boat today...
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »
There are many you tube vids on all manner of boat repair/mods etc. I've watched a bunch on transom and hull work, fiberglass tips/techniques.
Thanks quadrafire
That's basically how I learned literally from not knowing anything or terminology, to being able to completely disassemble and rebuild my 9.9 evinrude. Plus leeroysramblings is a blessing. He's got some really killer walkthroughs on fishing and outboard service.
http://www.leeroysramblings.com
:tup:

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »
If nothing else, this bad boy is looking promising

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 08:36:18 PM »
Pull that standard head plug and the one above it and hope it doesn't look like a chocolate milkshake.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:27 PM »
So after a very abrupt once over kinda just looking for broken things. Everything seems to be intact motor wise. And with that I just literally mean intact. No visual broken parts. Have no checked compression or anything. It's quite a large motor and pretty intimidating. It has seen some salt I'm sure because the way some of the bolts were coroded. Had me alittle worried about when pulling stuff apart that I don't wind up having to drill bolts out. That's never fun :bash:  now I'm going to find a vin decoded for evinrudes 50s.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 10:46:40 PM »
Looks to be a 1983 50

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 10:58:32 PM »
So Im being chatty tonight. Kinda excited. The whole boats in waaaay better condition than expected.
The seats are pretty much toast thugh. Floors "seem" solid as a rock. Going to replace all the interiors old pleather with like that green or grey outdoor carpeting.
Oh back to original thought. It's all hooked up to power steering? No cables, just one cable out the side of the motor I dunno I'm new at this stuff. Right now the steering wheel is loose, and does not move the motor. Broken cable somewhere or??

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
So Im being chatty tonight. Kinda excited. The whole boats in waaaay better condition than expected.
The seats are pretty much toast thugh. Floors "seem" solid as a rock. Going to replace all the interiors old pleather with like that green or grey outdoor carpeting.
Oh back to original thought. It's all hooked up to power steering? No cables, just one cable out the side of the motor I dunno I'm new at this stuff. Right now the steering wheel is loose, and does not move the motor. Broken cable somewhere or??

I can see from the other picture its a Teleflex steering. It's probably just frozen at the push rod back at the motor. Not uncommon after sitting it needs to be greased. The steering rod threads right into the base where the motor mount is located. Easy to take off. Probably pop out one nut then, unthread it. If the wheel is loose, I think you'll have three bolts through the steering wheel which mounts back underneath the dash. The wheel will come off easy, then I think there are four bolts which hold the plate on under the steering wheel. You should be able to pull it all apart and get some lube down it. They are about $250 if you need to replace it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »

I can see from the other picture its a Teleflex steering. It's probably just frozen at the push rod back at the motor. Not uncommon after sitting it needs to be greased. The steering rod threads right into the base where the motor mount is located. Easy to take off. Probably pop out one nut then, unthread it. If the wheel is loose, I think you'll have three bolts through the steering wheel which mounts back underneath the dash. The wheel will come off easy, then I think there are four bolts which hold the plate on under the steering wheel. You should be able to pull it all apart and get some lube down it. They are about $250 if you need to replace it.
Great thanks HG. Yeah the steering wheel is completely lose.   As in turns left/right no resistance. I peeked under for a second but had no idea what I as looking at. Gonna use this thread as my build thread. Love to keep everyone updated on the status using everyone's advice.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »
One suggestion on redoing the seats... I have a 14 1/2' Seaswirl that  I pulled both of the fold down seats out as they were crap from sitting out in the weather.  I replaced the passenger side with a new one, however, I replaced the drivers seat with a pedestal.  This opens up the cockpit quite a bit and leaves room for a cooler or a fold out chair.  The extra room is nice, especially when fishing with only two people.

That old Johnson/Evinrude should do well, unless overtly abused, those things keep on ticking.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 11:44:58 PM »
One suggestion on redoing the seats... I have a 14 1/2' Seaswirl that  I pulled both of the fold down seats out as they were crap from sitting out in the weather.  I replaced the passenger side with a new one, however, I replaced the drivers seat with a pedestal.  This opens up the cockpit quite a bit and leaves room for a cooler or a fold out chair.  The extra room is nice, especially when fishing with only two people.

That old Johnson/Evinrude should do well, unless overtly abused, those things keep on ticking.
Glad to hear stuff like that from you Ed being as I know boats are basically your life line. I'd expect you to know a thing or two. Just need to figure out how this type of system wirks and try to get her fired up.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
Like said before, change the lower unit oil, water pump and plugs. Get some fresh gas (don't forget to add oil). In the one pic, there is a screw that's a little bigger, knurled and has a black cap under it with a black tube running toward the front of the engine (it's on the side). Pull the screw and under the cap is the screen for the fuel line and aim the cap into a jar or yogurt container and start pumping the fuel bulb. Get all of the old gas and crud out of there. Clean the screen really good too.

The water pump will be a pain because you'll have to pull the lower unit off but it'll need to be done. You won't notice that it's bad when you hook up a hose to run it because of the water pressure from the hose.

Changing the lower unit oil is probably the easiest thing to do. Make sure and change it once a year, at least.

Looks like a nice boat, you're going to have a lot of fun!!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
jmscon is right on target. 
275 down 2

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
Like said before, change the lower unit oil, water pump and plugs. Get some fresh gas (don't forget to add oil). In the one pic, there is a screw that's a little bigger, knurled and has a black cap under it with a black tube running toward the front of the engine (it's on the side). Pull the screw and under the cap is the screen for the fuel line and aim the cap into a jar or yogurt container and start pumping the fuel bulb. Get all of the old gas and crud out of there. Clean the screen really good too.

The water pump will be a pain because you'll have to pull the lower unit off but it'll need to be done. You won't notice that it's bad when you hook up a hose to run it because of the water pressure from the hose.

Changing the lower unit oil is probably the easiest thing to do. Make sure and change it once a year, at least.

Looks like a nice boat, you're going to have a lot of fun!!

No primer bulb. Atleast not that I seen. Still need to locate the fuel tank, under the floor I take it? Switch panel is pretty much old as dirt going to replace that. All the electrical looks good wires have no corrosion but I think I may re-wire everything when I go to put a new panel in. Pretty basic stuff. The throttle looks pretty beat up and I think I'm going to replace it. Has cracks and such. Crawled under the front deck to figure out why the steering wasn't working. Looks like the tensign cable that the steering wheel rotates came off track. Appears to have a broken retention backing. Might need to replace that. If that's the case anyone recommend a place to get a throttle and steering assembly?

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
You can get new cables and a helm on Amazon. 

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
You can get new cables and a helm on Amazon. 
Helm. That's what it was called. Great thanks. Don't mind dropping a few hundred into this boat. Some people see it as a waste but how many of us pay for entertainment? Pretty much everyone. I see it as the same thing, taking something from nothing or something that doesn't work and turning it into something that functions is probably the best entertainment and joy for me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]