collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: North central mule deer  (Read 27906 times)

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: North central mule deer
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Thank you for caring and for sharing.

Solid info  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
We as hunters need to get behind, get in front, or demand something be done about this herd or IMO it will be lost. The dept. needs to listen to ideas and have an open mind. They can still make money, save this herd, offer a quality experience for hunters and save other herds in the process. I wish it was still the DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME :'(......If this herd continues the slide its on, I predict in15 to 20 years it will be lights out, then all the other herds up around Wenatchee, Entiat and other parts of the state will follow. Dominoe effect, more hunters every year will be forced into other areas. Statewide draw only for mule deer?..... might not be a bad deal :tup: It will all start with the Methow folks, something needs to be done.

I agree 100% with this statement.  The other herds are not doing much better.  There has been a steady decline in the deer numbers in The Wenatchee Valley as well.  Not seeing anywhere near the numbers there used to be and just finding a legal buck is tough!  In the area I hunt the numbers are probably very similar to what you are posting, just a steady decline in numbers.
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
One thing I will add, just to clarify, I know the deer are spread out right now, they always have been during this time of year. The numbers I gave earlier are all from this time of year(mid-late august) going back 40 years and pretty much the same 7 or 8 areas from mid valley to upper valley. If anyone is wondering, we did  not count the pet deer(town deer) :tup:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2017, 03:44:05 PM »
 :'(

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
So what would draw only deer look like? Would it include whitetails in GMUs that are mixed species? Would people be able to apply their points to the draw? I could get behind something if there was a solid plan that still provided opportunity, though not every year. If points could be applied from the various special permit categories, then those who don't play that game would wait years to ever draw.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
I was always a %100 opposed to a draw.  I have been successful for years.....but I purposely didn't notch a tag up there this last year because the herd was in such bad shape.  If I do it again this year, then what is the difference between that and not drawing.   Its not like very many people will do that unless they are forced.  Sadly I have little faith in drawing though.   I only have x amount of good years left of hunting. Now I have to sit at least half of them out.   Im glad I like camera work.  I think Id rather just cut hunting up there for three years period.   Cut back on doe permits and late tags.   wont happen though

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
I'd like to see either East/West or pick your species for general deer tags.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the WDFW Hunting Prospects says about the Methow valley mule deer herd this year.

Personally I think many GMU's should be closed to deer hunting for at least two or three years. It's asinine to continue hunting a deer herd that has been almost entirely wiped out.

WDF&Wolves will say-Deer hunting was great for the amount of hunters that showed up......

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
We as hunters need to get behind, get in front, or demand something be done about this herd or IMO it will be lost. The dept. needs to listen to ideas and have an open mind. They can still make money, save this herd, offer a quality experience for hunters and save other herds in the process. I wish it was still the DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND GAME :'(......If this herd continues the slide its on, I predict in15 to 20 years it will be lights out, then all the other herds up around Wenatchee, Entiat and other parts of the state will follow. Dominoe effect, more hunters every year will be forced into other areas. Statewide draw only for mule deer?..... might not be a bad deal :tup: It will all start with the Methow folks, something needs to be done.

You put out some great info BM :tup:

Did you happen to notice when the deer started hanging around town? A few winters back a friend and I drove the Methow, put 60 odd miles on the truck, we saw a total of eleven deer, nine of them in Twisp.

Earlier this summer a friend of mine got six different cougars on his trail cam in one small drainage, at the same location five different black bear. I talk to a friend of mine who raises hay over in Spring Coulee who said he has never seen so may bears as he has this year.

Wolves don't bring the same excitement to folks anymore, we hear of people who have seen them throughout the valley on a regular basis.  When the whitetail started dropping their fawns this year we ran a wolf off of a doe twice.

So now we have an over population of predators that hunt 24/7 365 days, shouldn't take too much brain power for WDF&Wolves to figure out the impact of predation on the herd/herds.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
Winthrop always had a few town deer. Twisp did not, other than behind Hanks.  Theyd cross at the city limits on both ends.  About the time the wolves showed up in force, the deer moved into town was my observation.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »
A lot less deer on the pass too, went over and back last weekend both times late in the evening and only saw one doe. :yike: Way to many predators. :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
Saw a few locals down by Biggers Road
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
This whole state is completely doomed if it doesn't start managing predators.   :bash:

Offline Cervus

• Tracker
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
Lots of good discussion in this thread. For anyone interested in making their case for mule deer management directly to WDFW, there is a meeting in Pateros on Sept 19 from 6 - 8. The timing isn't great with archery elk going on, but it will be a chance to make your voice heard.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/aug2217a/

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
Lots of good discussion in this thread. For anyone interested in making their case for mule deer management directly to WDFW, there is a meeting in Pateros on Sept 19 from 6 - 8. The timing isn't great with archery elk going on, but it will be a chance to make your voice heard.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/aug2217a/

Thanks for the info Cervus :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]