collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Maximum Effective Range...Archery Gear...28 July 2017?  (Read 14610 times)

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
Re: Maximum Effective Range...Archery Gear...28 July 2017?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 07:21:02 AM »
People can be as upper cruster, jr erhics hunter, on a forum all day.  But the fact is that if someone is good at shooting tell 50, and have hunted for 5 days and see an elk at say 65.  There most likely going to take the shot.  Just like people that see big bucks hunting with a 3-9x40 at 500 yards and hold over.  Just saying that when people see big animals that they have worked so hard to get a shot at, the ethics range thing can change prettyyyy quick.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2017, 08:37:34 AM »
I am going to suggest that something will have to be done with regard to allowing unconstrained crossbow selection by disabled during Archery Seasons to rein in the technology.  There are now bows that are shooting 400 grain arrows out at 425 fps, allowing a maximum range of far in excess of what has been considered "archery range."

The idea of allowing for crossbows for disabled individuals is to allow them to participate, not to turn the archery season into something it was never intended to be.  You cannot use scope sights on a any bow, crossbows included, during the Archery Season irrespective of your disability status.  So why allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to walk out of Cabela's with a 125 +- yard crossbow and hunt the Archery Seasons the next day? 

Archery Season is about stalking or setting up a close range stand as much as it is about becoming proficient with your bow, not long range sniping with a bow that is accurate as most rifles out to about 150 yards. 

My crossbow is an Excalibur Matrix 355 and has about the same range 60 yards +- or about ten more than I feel comfortable with shooting my compound bow at game.  I suppose that it could be stretched out to the same range some here are comfortable shooting, but not to 125 yards, not by a long shot.  It has the accuracy, it is possible to shoot inch groups at 50 yards on a calm day off a bench.  It is the functional equivalent of pretty much any compound on the market.  I use it during modern rifle season when hunting populated areas, I use my compound just as often during Modern Season. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2017, 03:21:50 PM »
I say shoot what you think your limitations are. And I hope you put in the effort searching for the animal when your shot goes south. At least your not asking about using an AR.
I wish people put in as much time learning how to track, spot blood etc as they do streaching out their distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 03:53:43 PM »
I say shoot what you think your limitations are. And I hope you put in the effort searching for the animal when your shot goes south. At least your not asking about using an AR.
I wish people put in as much time learning how to track, spot blood etc as they do streaching out their distance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tracking is one of the most valuable things you and your hunting partner can be good at.  We really preach in hunter ed about choosing your hunting partner wisely.  One of the things a hunting partner is great for is tracking blood.  They aren't emotionally involved in the animal and look at the trail with a more clear headed and logical approach.  Whoever shoots is always the one to stand on last blood scanning ahead looking for a dead animal or for an animal to jump from it's bed.  The one who didn't shoot does the tracking and stays focussed on the ground and the trail.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
and back to the topic....

53 yards, the same as it is every year.
How long til elk season?!??

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 05:37:23 PM »
Shot at an archery shoot this weekend.  Deadly at 77 yards.  :tup:

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline SquirrelHunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »

The idea of allowing for crossbows for disabled individuals is to allow them to participate, not to turn the archery season into something it was never intended to be.  You cannot use scope sights on a any bow, crossbows included, during the Archery Season irrespective of your disability status.  So why allow any Tom, Dick or Harry to walk out of Cabela's with a 125 +- yard crossbow and hunt the Archery Seasons the next day? 

Archery Season is about stalking or setting up a close range stand as much as it is about becoming proficient with your bow, not long range sniping with a bow that is accurate as most rifles out to about 150 yards. 

Can you ecplain what the archery season was "intended to be"? And how exactly we crossbow users during archery season are changing that. I read through the posts and no where were crossbows mentioned so im interested to hear why this was said. Maybe i read into it wrong and if so i appologize for it, just tired of everyone attacking the use of crossbows by diabled hunters for the continued pursuit of a lifelong passion.
"Incoming bullets have the right away"

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 06:13:58 PM »

Can you ecplain what the archery season was "intended to be"? And how exactly we crossbow users during archery season are changing that. I read through the posts and no where were crossbows mentioned so im interested to hear why this was said. Maybe i read into it wrong and if so i appologize for it, just tired of everyone attacking the use of crossbows by diabled hunters for the continued pursuit of a lifelong passion.
This would be a great topic for another thread, I will start one in the archery section and then provide a link.

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,216682.msg2883876/topicseen.html#top
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:53:00 PM by Rainier10 »

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »
I shot great at 80 today and not so good at 40 so I guess I will have to let them walk away abit. :dunno:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »
I shot great at 80 today and not so good at 40 so I guess I will have to let them walk away abit. :dunno:

My buddy does this with coyotes. Misses them all the time at 100 or so and then drills them at 300 :chuckle: He has to get them running and get them out there to kill them :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 07:18:30 PM »

Why would an arm, back or shoulder injury open the door to a scope when that is expressly ruled out for Archery Seasons? 

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
Actually had that conversation this weekend at a shoot. I was shooting the outside edge of the ten ring under forty and dead center of the ten ring at 60 plus. My buddy said you should only take 60 plus yard shots. It was a joke but kind of true. It's almost like I focus more at longer distances.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:15:03 PM by Rainier10 »

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 01:36:56 AM »
I shoot better at 60 than 50.  I blame it on the bow :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
More hunters need to attend a few 3d shoots. It is the most realistic practice a guy can have.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2017, 11:41:35 PM »
I used to practice regularly at 80 and even worked out to 100. I feel practicing at that range makes you a better shot. You really have to focus on grip, anchor, release and follow through on ever shot. I set my personal long at no more than 45. I've Never had to shoot anything over 27 yards with 8 yrds being my short.
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal