collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reminder to bow hunters  (Read 15362 times)

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Reminder to bow hunters
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »
I feel more prepared than any year previous.  I have numbered and mapped out where each arrow shoots, made adjustments to get them to hit as close as possible to each other and really fine tuned my rest and sight.  At my favorite distance (50 yards) I'm hitting within 2" of the bullseye on nearly every shot with broadheads.

Since my brother copped out on me this year I'm taking his son for his second elk hunt and he is really excited to go.  Which reminds me, I need to have a talk with him about a little problem he had the first time he went hunting with us - a very noisy bag with very noisy chips for a snack out in the field.  No chips or other noisy snacks allowed this year! :yike:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:44:37 AM by Band »

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
The Sportsmans in Silverdale had a long line at the archery counter.  Looked like quite a few new bows walking out the store. 

SR1

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA DU RMEF Washington for Wildlife SVEF
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »
So what is everyones average practice distance? Depends on the day for me, but mostly 40 is what I shoot.

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 12:40:30 PM »
So what is everyones average practice distance? Depends on the day for me, but mostly 40 is what I shoot.
i practice to 60, but wouldnt take a shot that far in the field (just me at this point still young in the archery game)
i practice that far because my "sins" become magnified at that distance compared to 40, so i have to focus on being consistent.
My .02

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »
I try to vary my shots.
Every day i shoot around 50 shots at distances ranging from 20 to 55 yards. On pin and between pins.
Something I've learned along the line is that i may as well challenge myself in the controlled setting in practice because the moment of truth in the field is almost never ideal.
If I'm working through a bad patch in form/technique then i will shoot from the 30yd pin for a while to figure things out.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
I shoot most of my arrows (~75%?) from 20-30 yards, but take a few shots out at 40-50 pretty much every time I shoot. 

I also encourage people to shoot from strange positions- i.e. kneeling, leaning, ect, and to practice wearing your hunting gear. Including binoculars, facemask or whatever will be on in the field.  I have made pretty much every mistake possible, but rarely the same one twice!  :)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 01:50:10 PM »
One of the things I appreciate about the walk through course at Silver Arrow Bowman in Mt. Vernon is you can really get your heart rate up on some of the climbs just prior to shooting. Really accelerated w a weighted pack on.

It's about the best simulation for the raised heart rate I expect when a bull comes into range this September.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline snarkybull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 08:34:04 AM »
This is not my most prepared year ever.  Life took a downward tumble, and I am still getting things sorted out.  However, I have been out shooting a handful of times and my equipment is as dead on as I left it after last season.  I am (finally) getting excited for elk season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How long til elk season?!??

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »
I like to hit the Portland archery range before work sometimes and for months at MOST I would see 1 person there other then myself in the morning(90% of the time no one). I went last week and sure enough 6 guys there a bunch sighting in bows, some sighting in brand new ones. I would see them shoot at 20 then 2 rounds later at the 50-55 yard target. Thats fine by me, keeps the 20-30 range targets open for me to shoot my recurve. This is at 30 yards this week and I'm capping myself at 25 yards with my recurve.

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
This is not my most prepared year ever.  Life took a downward tumble, and I am still getting things sorted out.  However, I have been out shooting a handful of times and my equipment is as dead on as I left it after last season.  I am (finally) getting excited for elk season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the downward tumble.....hopefully you're able to get out and reconnect with those things that we as as sportsmen, hold dear.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline DeerHunter1750

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »
If anyone in the area of Granite Falls needs to sharpen there skills and need someplace to shoot let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 07:13:58 PM »
   8  days 10  hours 48  minutes 
It's close!!!
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »
I started practicing late afternoon as the light fades. Don't know why I never thought of that before.

Offline carlyoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
   8  days 10  hours 48  minutes 
It's close!!!

Its more like a tad over 30 hours. Deer opens Friday and I am pumped

Offline MRT

• Pilgrim
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
I'm glad I have space to shoot in my yard but I didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted to this summer. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]