collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Randy Newberg New Mexico - what's it score  (Read 4679 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Randy Newberg New Mexico - what's it score
« on: August 01, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »
Just curious on what you guys think this bull scored?  I'm trying to brush up for October.

Online dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Randy Newberg New Mexico - what's it score
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:59:26 AM »
maybe 300.  it does have pretty long main beams (distance between 2nd's and 3rds and distance between 3rd's and 4th's) so maybe in the low 300's.  my guess is 300-320 but my gut tells me its closer to 300 then 320. 
Zonk Volmer

Online dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
Here's the bull I shot last year in Montana.  He scored around 285-290.  He was a 4 1/2 year old 6x6.
Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 09:40:59 AM »
Thanks, that's good news.  I have the Peaches bull tag and several people are saying it has 320 potential.

Online dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
That is true!  Average 6x6 bull taken out of there ranges from 270-320.  But don't sell yourself short.  Do your homework and scouting, spend the time hunting that is required, and with a little luck, there are some bigger than that.  320-360 isn't impossible if you put in the work and lady-luck fines your way.  My daughter shot this small 270 class 6x6 in the observatory unit (Manastash) a few years back.  About three years ago I saw a guy smoke a pig of a bull pushing 350 not to far from where this one was shot.  You have a great tag!  Have a fun fall!!!  Good and the best of luck to ya!
Zonk Volmer

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »
@Rainier10  don't shoot!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:53:47 AM »
300-310. Nice bull and with a peaches tag that's one not to shoot on the 1st day. A little effort and you can find bigger. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
310, give or take
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
Over 300 for sure, probably over 310 but not much.  I am pretty sure I would pass on day one but come day 7-9 I might let it fly.  I know, "don't pass on day one what you would shoot on the last day".  I might eat the tag because of that.  I am in the colockum archery hunting so I am hoping for something over 320, anything 340-360 is getting whacked no matter what day it is.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 12:01:21 PM »
300-310. Nice bull and with a peaches tag that's one not to shoot on the 1st day. A little effort and you can find bigger. :tup:

Man, not sure I could pass that up but we'll see.  I'm scouting archery and muzzy openers so I'll get to see a few for free without a rifle in my hand.

I showed the video to my wife and she said that if I saw that I had better shoot it or not even tell her I saw it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:24:10 PM by Stein »

Online dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »
Stein, Just a few thoughts from an old man.  I don't hunt the Peaches area that much.  I have done most of my hunting in the Observatory area (Manastash/Joe Watt canyon area).  It is very close to the same kind of hunt.  They are very similar in nature and the elk are all from the same big Yakima herd.  With that said, I would be very careful passing up a decent 6x6.  Me, my kids, and my two hunting buddies have had the Observatory rifle bull tag 5 times.  We have filled it three of the five times.  In 2003 me and my daughter both had the tags.  I had scouted out the area a lot and had a 7x7 picked out for opening morning.  Someone else got to him before I did.  Me and my daughter both filled our tags on the last day of the season.  I got a 4x4 and she shot a 2x2.  In 2008 another one of my daughters drew the tag when she was 17.  Opening morning she shot the bull I showed you.  It was a 270 6x6.  Two of my buddies drew the tag around 2010 and 2014.  They are both construction workers so they didn't hunt as many days as I was hoping they could but they are very accomplished hunters and were in extremely good shape physically and they humped the hills looking for bulls.  They never even saw a big bull.  These are nice areas with nice elk but there are a decent amount of tags given out and after the archers and muzzle boys are done they are spooked around some and are heading for thick cover and post rut activity.  These rifle tags used to be better and odds were pretty high, but with all the muzzle loading hunters out now they are a little bit more weary than they used to be.  I'm just saying that some years you can pick through what you want and some years your lucky if you see anything at all.  Id be very careful passing up a 6x6.  Now if you had the Dayton tag it would be different.  We have drawn 8 Dayton tags since 2006.  You can be choosey a bit there but you still could come up empty if you are to picky.  We filled 6 of the 8 Dayton tags with all of them being over 315 and one typical at 360 with a non-typical at 398.  Good luck hunting it.  it  will be a fun year for you.  Remember that 110 tags is quite a bit.  A lot of others will be scouting that out too.  If there is a real big boy in the woods, chances are the muzzle and archery guys will know it and the word will get out.  Like all Yakima tags, the deeper you go and the harder you work the better your chances are!
Zonk Volmer

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:04:25 PM »
I appreciate that Dvolmer, thanks.  I have the entire season blacked out on my calendar and should be able to get camp set up two days before and scout a day and a half.  I'm no hunting expert, but I have been doing a ton of research, scouting, studying maps and making sure I am in the best shape I can.  I'll give 'er *ell for sure.  I absolutely love the area and am under no misunderstanding that I will have the place to myself.

Offline deerlick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 01:27:39 PM »
id shoot the first decent bull whether its a 5 or whatever. the peaches rifle bull tag is not a quality tag. those bulls are usually locked down pretty hard by the time that tags starts. luck will be our best friend for a good bull.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
Tons of great advice here.  For that tag I would have a tough time passing any 300" plus bull.  300" is a great bull and would be the biggest bull on most hunter's wall.  I know that is bigger than any bull I have shot.

I think I would be happy with almost any 6x6 and certainly a couple of the big 5x5's I have seen in there.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 07:06:51 AM »
Tons of great advice here.  For that tag I would have a tough time passing any 300" plus bull.  300" is a great bull and would be the biggest bull on most hunter's wall.  I know that is bigger than any bull I have shot.

I think I would be happy with almost any 6x6 and certainly a couple of the big 5x5's I have seen in there.

:yeah:

300-310. Nice bull and with a peaches tag that's one not to shoot on the 1st day. A little effort and you can find bigger.
Plat,  Where were you when I needed you  :dunno:   :chuckle:

Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]