collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing Fairbanks  (Read 3548 times)

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Fishing Fairbanks
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
Hi there! Me and my sister have delayed our trip to Alaska, and now we're heading to Fairbanks in late August/early September if everything works out. So now I'm on the clock to try and learn as much as I can about salmon fishing before we head down there. I've fished for lake trout here in WA my whole life, but salmon and river fishing is very new to me. I'm not going to expect catching anything being such a newbie, but being in Alaska I'm going to regret it if I don't at least try. So my first question is what type of salmon should I try fishing for and what type of bait/lure should I use? Also, with all of the rivers and lakes in Alaska which would be my best chance of actually catching something? And we will also be renting a car so I don't mind driving somewhere. I also found this folding fishing pole on Amazon, but do you think its big enough for salmon? Or should I just bring my own?https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HPYAYS6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1RLHPXAPPG4PJ&colid=2NYBCCN00883

And this is all assuming that salmon fishing will even be open this time of year, I tried looking up some regulations but without knowing which river/lake I cant do much. Also if you have any other tips for me it would be much appreciated!
And thanks for any responses! :tup:
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Fishing Fairbanks
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
Wait till you get up there and ask at a local sporting goods store or where you are staying.  Regs and run timing differ a lot from area to area just like here and local knowledge is best.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:30 AM »
Being Fairbanks is a bit more inland than say Anchorage you probably will be a bit early for the silver run. I know on my sheep hunt out of Anchorage we did quite well on the silvers in mid Aug. Probably worth your time to make a phone call up there to one of the Sporting goods stores.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 11:46:56 AM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
Being Fairbanks is a bit more inland than say Anchorage you probably will be a bit early for the silver run. I know on my sheep hunt out of Anchorage we did quite well on the silvers in mid Aug. Probably worth your time to make a phone call up there to one of the Sporting goods stores.
Wait till you get up there and ask at a local sporting goods store or where you are staying.  Regs and run timing differ a lot from area to area just like here and local knowledge is best.
Thanks for the tip! If anything I can just bring my fishing pole with me and do that.
Hi, my name is Josie

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »
Bumping
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
I can ask my sister she lives in Fairbanks.  She goes to fish camp late summer early fall but that's another 200 miles north.

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
I can ask my sister she lives in Fairbanks.  She goes to fish camp late summer early fall but that's another 200 miles north.
I don't think I could drive that far out, but if she knows any places near Fairbanks that would be awesome! I'm not trying to learn anyone's "secret spots" or anything, but just a general area would be great if she knows any.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
You might try on the Alaska Outdoors Forum fishing section and ask there. A lot of those guys live up there and could probably help you out.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 09:58:15 PM »
You might try on the Alaska Outdoors Forum fishing section and ask there. A lot of those guys live up there and could probably help you out.
Thanks! I didn't know about that.
Hi, my name is Josie

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal