collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need many suggestions on different gear.  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Need many suggestions on different gear.
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
So I'm looking to buy a few things for the season. New boots that are durable and completely waterproof budget is $200. Hunting jacket that is 100% waterproof. For the jacket I've been thinking of just buying high quality like Sitka but I don't know if they are worth it. The last thing I would possibly buy is a nice pair of waterproof pants. I have cabelas pants which are great but they are super baggy and drag all over and it's really annoying. I may look into tighter fitting more athletic pants if I can find some. Any suggestions on boots, jackets, or pants?

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Need many suggestions on different gear.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »
I may get smacked down as a negative Nancy here but I'd say you would be better off looking for a $200 purple unicorn.  Words like "completely" and percentages like 100% followed by waterproof just don't exist in my opinion.  I've been hunting for 25 years now from upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Oregon and Washington.  I've cycled through a good amount of low end gear due to budget constraints and now I'm buying what I consider "high end" gear (Stika, Kuiu, First Lite).  While there are major advantages and features to the higher end lines it certainly is not 100% waterproof.

I will say as far as boots go I found that buying hiking boot lines to be better for me than others.  Kind of odd that Kuiu is selling there line made by Scarpa.  I love my Scarpas but the hiking boots are quit a bit cheaper without the Kuiu horns on them - just saying

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »
I'd switch your budget around and buy cheaper pants and jackets and spend more on boots.  Very hard to find a good quality pair of boots for $200.  I'd look at Kenetreks, USA made Danners, Meindl's, Crispi or some of the mountaineering style boots (Lowa,Asolo).  I don't really like the Mountaineering boots but they are well made and if they work for your feet they will last.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »
 :yeah:
Boots would be my top priority for budget as well.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:50:07 PM »
If you're hunting the west side of the state, good quality rubber boots will be within your $200 budget and I prefer rubber over leather boots when hunting over here. Cabelas has a pretty good selection, so I'd go there and try some on, and get whatever feels most comfortable. Or try Sportsmans Warehouse if you're not close to a Cabelas store.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
Rain Jacket( something that can pack down) Marmot precip is cheap and will work look for pit zips also. REI has some good rain jackets on sale right now just got a new one myself paid $75 it was $140.
Rain Pants I have some but honestly I just use good windstopping pants with a solid DWR and recoat them before season it keeps cost down.
Boots- Danner,Crispi,Lowe,Shnee. look for backpacking boots. Look for boots made in either Italy or the US and you will find quality. Look at Danner Store to see if you can get some for a good discounted price.My buddy got some Danner Crater Rims for around $200 Made in the US and a very nice boot. In general do not worry about Gore-tex and "breathable" membranes its a gimmick plan and simple. 100% LEATHER(or very close to) is the name of the game and the less seams or stitching the better. Every stitch line is a line that could fail for waterproofing. Look for boots with a solid PU/Rubber rand (Cemented is preferable over stitched), PU midsole not EVA is key and look to see if it has a PU footbed if it doesn't buy some inserts as EVA compresses and doesn't spring back like PU does. Best test I think is to pick up a boot and try to bend it, if it bends like a running shoe put it down and forget it. If it is really hard to bend or you can't thats a great sign of a quality boot. If you have any footwear questions PM me as I'm in the footwear industry and would be happy to help.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I may get smacked down as a negative Nancy here but I'd say you would be better off looking for a $200 purple unicorn.  Words like "completely" and percentages like 100% followed by waterproof just don't exist in my opinion.  I've been hunting for 25 years now from upstate New York, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Oregon and Washington.  I've cycled through a good amount of low end gear due to budget constraints and now I'm buying what I consider "high end" gear (Stika, Kuiu, First Lite).  While there are major advantages and features to the higher end lines it certainly is not 100% waterproof.

I will say as far as boots go I found that buying hiking boot lines to be better for me than others.  Kind of odd that Kuiu is selling there line made by Scarpa.  I love my Scarpas but the hiking boots are quit a bit cheaper without the Kuiu horns on them - just saying

Agreed on the purple unicorn.  However, I think putting a bigger % of your budget towards boots would be a good approach to acquiring gear on a budget. If you shared more about how you use your gear (or expect to,) I'd  bet there are plenty of opinions just bursting to be shared). Most of us have a budget and many of us have found ways to gear up for less than retail. A lot depends on what you hope to do and a wllingness to look for deals.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
It's not a unicorn, but it's not easy to find.  I've been wearing Lowa boots for the last few years and had their Vantage boots (which I loved dearly) until the waterproof liner wore out.  And you're kidding yourself if you expect any waterproof boot to remain waterproof forever - regardless of brand or price tag.

That said, my Lowas had a gore-tex liner that was "guaranteed for life," which in the world of boots most often means that Gore-tex will give you a credit towards a new pair if the liner wears out, since most boots are made such that it's impossible to just replace the liner.

Great brands like Lowa (and I'm sure the others mentioned) will do their part to honor Gore-tex's (or rather DuPont's) warranty, and in my case Lowa sent me a brand new pair for free  :tup:.  Unfortunately they had stopped making the Vantage boots and they sent me the Arco GTX instead.  It's still a great boot, but doesn't fit my foot as well as the Vantage did and my feet hurt after hard hiking.  Anyway, I digress...

The Vantage boots retailed for $240 and so do the Arcos, and it's easy-ish to find them under $200. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »
AJJ828, what kind of hunting will you be doing?  Rifle elk?  Archery mountain goats?  Everything?

Personally, I don't put much weight behind the latest-and-greatest camo and feel like you're better off with a bomb-proof, lifetime-warrantied piece for less money by somebody like Marmot.  I've tested their warranty and had a great experience, and I'm sure some of the other mountaineering brands are similar.  Find a tan or drab jacket along the lines of the Minimalist, Exum Ridge (which I have), or other gore-tex jacket.  If you can afford it, I would avoid the PreCip.  It's a great piece for the price, don't get me wrong, but you'll have better luck going up a step in quality/price.

I'm going to contradict myself here and mention the Kuiu Teton jacket and/or pants.  I have no experience with them, but I've researched the materials they use and it's great stuff for a very reasonable price.  If they had Marmot's warranty, I would probably own them.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
For rain I wear the rain gear I was issued in the navy. It keeps me warm & dry. Except around the sleeve cuffs & neck if it's not zipped all the way, I rarely get wet. A little damp from sweat but not wet. For boots I'm wearing Meindle and love them. Wore them all last year on both sides of the mountains and stayed dry. Good quality gear will keep you dry,  it it doesn't last forever, it wears out eventually.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 06:41:31 PM »
IMO go with Kuiu Chugach for rain gear vs Sitka.  I have both.  Been very happy with the Kuiu Chugach.  Have the Yukon also but that extra weight not needed imo.   

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
You can save $ on clothes by skipping the brands that are marketed for hunters.
I wanted a new rain jacket last year so I went to the North face outlet and just picked one that was quiet and in a subdued color.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]