collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best archery range finder?  (Read 6208 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Best archery range finder?
« on: August 03, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
 Sorry if this is already been talked about if there is a thread already on this subject could you point me that direction. If not I was looking at the vortex ranger 1000 ,  but I am concerned that the shorter ranges may not be as accurate if the rangefinder is built for long distance, do any of you know if accuracy for a long range, range finder is diminished when you're shooting objects at 20 to 60 yards ? Thoughts?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Lingcod

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
Re: Best archery range finder?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »
Not sure on the Vortex but I'm fond of my Leupold rx-1200i. It has bow mode which compensates angles up to 125yds. Works great at cllose range.
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Offline wjackson

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
I don't think close range accuracy has anything to do with max range.  Max range is the combination of laser strength & sensitivity of the sensor.  Accuracy is about the smallest amount of time the unit is able to measure with the onboard electronics.

I've heard mixed reviews of the vortex rangefinders... not terrible, but no the best.

I just upgraded from an old bushnell to a Sig 2200.  It's great around the archery range & 3d shoots, and crazy fast, but I haven't used it for a hunting season yet...

My biggest frustration with rangefinders is how they work in fog & mist.  I haven't tested my sig out in the fog, but every other unit I've used has been terrible. 

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
I have a Leica and it is the best you can get.  It is about 2 years old but it is top notch.  Angle compensation for archery and a red display. It is the Leica  r 1000 and can't complain about anything.  Hope this helps.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
I have a Leica and it is the best you can get.  It is about 2 years old but it is top notch.  Angle compensation for archery and a red display. It is the Leica  r 1000 and can't complain about anything.  Hope this helps.
i have the Leica 1200 but it's way too big, it's about 6 or 7 years old.  I'll check out the newer one, thanks.  Mine doesn't have angle comp.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:03 PM »
I wouldn't be worried about accuracy with a decent rangefinder, it is a computer making calculations.

I have the Vortex and it works great.  Something happened one day and it went wonky.  They sent me a brand new one to my door in under a week for free.

Some other companies have good warranties as well, I would chose one that does.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »
Get one with angle compensation so you'll get the true horizontal range. Other than that look for one you like. At the end of the day, a yard is a yard & it's a little computer in a box doing the math for how long it takes that beam of light to go out & come back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:51:33 PM »
Nikon Pro archer or hunter. I have the pro hunter goes out to 550 yards. I like it for the simple 2 modes angle comp on or off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »
Thinking about the Nikon, I have a Nikon monarch that is damaged and they'll give me a discount to upgrade. 

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:38:15 PM »
For archer simple is better IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:05 PM »
I agree with the simplicty comments.
Archery is for closer ranges.
Don't waste money on one that ranges out a mile.
Look at single button minimal menu range finders.
Arc is important.
Some people don't like the readout to be black because it can be harder to read in low light. Mine has black readout display, but I haven't had any issues with reading it. If it's too dark to see the readout then its too dark to take the shot.
Best of luck to you.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »
I am running a Kilo2000.   Knowing you shoot longer distances at times it might be a great all in one fit. It is super quick reading and easy to see eye relief.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Seahawk has a good point about black displays. My next one will have a red display

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »
I bought a nikon archers choose years back when it was first introduced and i was just getting started archery hunting. I liked it for its simplicity but my biggest gripe was later when I found the black read out very difficult to read in low light or even mid afternoon in the timber where the background is dark, it makes identifying your target and ranging a bit of a pain at times.  Worse so in late season archery elk on the west side. Fog and most performance wasn't the best.

My biggest regret came when I started to shoot guns more and the archers choose would only range just a tad over 100yds. Very annoying if you do any recreational rifle shooting at any distance over 100yds.

Angle comp is on every range finder just about these days and usually can be set to automatically turn on when powered up. I chose the sig kilo2000 for its lighted reticle,  range and ability to track and range a moving target reliably. I think performance between any range finder in fog and heavy mist is going similar across the board. There's isn't much you can do when a actually physical barrier is obstructing your laser.  And the amount of fog and mist someone describes there rangefinder working or not working in varies from person to person as much as the fog does.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »
Vortex ranger here. Thing is solid as a rock. Only complaint is it struggles to range under 20 yards or so sometimes. Not a big deal but still would be nice to know.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »
Get one with angle compensation so you'll get the true horizontal range. Other than that look for one you like. At the end of the day, a yard is a yard & it's a little computer in a box doing the math for how long it takes that beam of light to go out & come back.
^ True angle comensation is important, it would blow your mind when some 80-100 yard shots downhill use your 20 yard pin.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Angle comp is on every range finder just about these days and usually can be set to automatically turn on when powered up. I chose the sig kilo2000 for its lighted reticle,  range and ability to track and range a moving target reliably. I think performance between any range finder in fog and heavy mist is going similar across the board. There's isn't much you can do when a actually physical barrier is obstructing your laser.  And the amount of fog and mist someone describes there rangefinder working or not working in varies from person to person as much as the fog does.
You might be surprised, some of the new rigs, or ones like your Kilo2k do better in poor weather .  I had a Nikon Archers advantage last year and in any fog at all it would just say 15yrds.  I tried it last year when I got my Kilo2k, side by side.  Kilo read a stop sign at end of road thru snow @ 1038yrds (could barely see stop sign with naked eye).  The Nikon said 235yrds....

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »
You might be surprised, some of the new rigs, or ones like your Kilo2k do better in poor weather .  I had a Nikon Archers advantage last year and in any fog at all it would just say 15yrds.  I tried it last year when I got my Kilo2k, side by side.  Kilo read a stop sign at end of road thru snow @ 1038yrds (could barely see stop sign with naked eye).  The Nikon said 235yrds....

That is good to hear, and i would expect the technology to be better. I got mine just in time for late archery season last year but only got to use it 1 day in the field before a bagged a cow and that was it for my inclement weather testing. My archers choice wouldnt read more than 20yds, and a Leopold and Bushnell range finder produced around the same time performed just as poorly when the weather was bad.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
Ok, so I went to buy the sig kilo850 today at pro bass, it's on sale for 169.00.  Before I bought it I looked at a few others.  After looking through the ones with red (lite up) reticles there was no way I was going to buy the black reticle models, night and day difference!!  The vortex ranger 1000 is on sale for 299.00, with my 100 dollar gift card it was a no brainier for me!  They currently don't have them in stock so I had to order on line.  Looking forward to using it in the field, smossy, the guy behind the counter ranged a box at 6 yards. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU