collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best archery range finder?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
Re: Best archery range finder?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »
Get one with angle compensation so you'll get the true horizontal range. Other than that look for one you like. At the end of the day, a yard is a yard & it's a little computer in a box doing the math for how long it takes that beam of light to go out & come back.
^ True angle comensation is important, it would blow your mind when some 80-100 yard shots downhill use your 20 yard pin.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 08:00:48 AM »
Angle comp is on every range finder just about these days and usually can be set to automatically turn on when powered up. I chose the sig kilo2000 for its lighted reticle,  range and ability to track and range a moving target reliably. I think performance between any range finder in fog and heavy mist is going similar across the board. There's isn't much you can do when a actually physical barrier is obstructing your laser.  And the amount of fog and mist someone describes there rangefinder working or not working in varies from person to person as much as the fog does.
You might be surprised, some of the new rigs, or ones like your Kilo2k do better in poor weather .  I had a Nikon Archers advantage last year and in any fog at all it would just say 15yrds.  I tried it last year when I got my Kilo2k, side by side.  Kilo read a stop sign at end of road thru snow @ 1038yrds (could barely see stop sign with naked eye).  The Nikon said 235yrds....

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03:46 AM »
Angle comp is on every range finder just about these days and usually can be set to automatically turn on when powered up. I chose the sig kilo2000 for its lighted reticle,  range and ability to track and range a moving target reliably. I think performance between any range finder in fog and heavy mist is going similar across the board. There's isn't much you can do when a actually physical barrier is obstructing your laser.  And the amount of fog and mist someone describes there rangefinder working or not working in varies from person to person as much as the fog does.
You might be surprised, some of the new rigs, or ones like your Kilo2k do better in poor weather .  I had a Nikon Archers advantage last year and in any fog at all it would just say 15yrds.  I tried it last year when I got my Kilo2k, side by side.  Kilo read a stop sign at end of road thru snow @ 1038yrds (could barely see stop sign with naked eye).  The Nikon said 235yrds....

That is good to hear, and i would expect the technology to be better. I got mine just in time for late archery season last year but only got to use it 1 day in the field before a bagged a cow and that was it for my inclement weather testing. My archers choice wouldnt read more than 20yds, and a Leopold and Bushnell range finder produced around the same time performed just as poorly when the weather was bad.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 05:20:29 PM »
Ok, so I went to buy the sig kilo850 today at pro bass, it's on sale for 169.00.  Before I bought it I looked at a few others.  After looking through the ones with red (lite up) reticles there was no way I was going to buy the black reticle models, night and day difference!!  The vortex ranger 1000 is on sale for 299.00, with my 100 dollar gift card it was a no brainier for me!  They currently don't have them in stock so I had to order on line.  Looking forward to using it in the field, smossy, the guy behind the counter ranged a box at 6 yards. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal