collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WSU Survey on Access/User Fees  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: WSU Survey on Access/User Fees
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 06:37:02 AM »
No!  It's not just that user fees are here to stay, but the DP estimates are way off from purchased and they are trying to increase revenue. We won't get "more" service going to a simpler pass, it will just cost more.

I respectfully disagree.  I believe there is honest intent to make the entire process easier for users, not necessarily more expensive.  Do you have inside information?

Yes I do. I have a degree in marketing and have done a few surveys for government agencies. A friend of mine worked for a firm that made a boat load of $ helping school districts pass levies.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 06:51:50 AM »
Note the Parks  budget is still lacking and they are trying "Grow" revenue.
http://parks.state.wa.us/177/Funding

We know that means selling more DP because that is the largest transfer of funds from a source that is actually willing to spend $ for thier outdoor enjoyment.

Contrary to most peoples understanding, Survey work isn't commissioned on fact finding or understanding... except how to either reinforce a preferred outcome normally separating you from more $.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »
I found some of the options strongly NOT supported.
Like Special T mentioned, they want the answer they want and are hoping enough people click that one to justify increasing fees

if we MUST have a permit/pass. Why can't we just purchase ONE pass for all the land in WA?
I still feel that as hunters and fisherman, we should not have to buy a DP.  :twocents:
I have never purchased one, just changed places I visit.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »
I oppose the public being forced to fix the states spending problems.

But, if I have to take my dose, I like the idea of putting it on everyone's vehicle registration.  Hunters and Fishers carry too much of the burden.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
The more the state is allowed to bundle $ together thebeiaser it is for them to shuffle it to their desire. They hate dedicated funds that are locked into certain kinds of spending.

Registration fees is just another  transfer of user benifit and cost.

Confucius

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
No!  It's not just that user fees are here to stay, but the DP estimates are way off from purchased and they are trying to increase revenue. We won't get "more" service going to a simpler pass, it will just cost more.

I respectfully disagree.  I believe there is honest intent to make the entire process easier for users, not necessarily more expensive.  Do you have inside information?
Revenues can increase either from higher prices, or more from increased sales. A simpler process could increase sales.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
I'm not a fisherman, so I may need some correction...

I remember discussions about how great the DP was going to be for boaters that used state park launches because they would not longer have to pay the fee since it would be covered.... but I was talking with One Note my buddies whom fish and use Corner bay launch and there is still a fee....

I agree that  you can increase revenue by increasing sales. But I doubt it will be better for the consumer.

Case in point... Anyone remember the WDFW has 3 different combo options? Deer or elk plus bear and cougar?  We don't have those options anymore because it was too complicated....  now you have the big combo or buy alla cart... the WDFW rev went up...  there were 15% or so of lic buyers that purchased the 3 animal combo....  are they getting a better deal now if they still only hunt 3 animals?

Confucius

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
Done!

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

Revenues can increase either from higher prices, or more from increased sales. A simpler process could increase sales.

Not only does a simpler process increase sales, greater value/diversity in the pass can increase sales also.  I never purchased a DP when they first came out.  Now, we live in an area where it provides a lot of recreational value.  It would provide even more so if it served to access federal fee areas.

The current DP process is costing the state money in terms of court time.  I got a DP ticket because my daughter had borrowed it from our car.  When I went to court to mitigate it, there were four other folks there who had been cited for the same thing.  The judge dismissed all of our tickets and then very pointedly commented the state needed to figure out a better DP system.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
First off the nd fed pass is $30 good every where in  usfs and isn't limited to 2 cars. I know because I bought one for elk season. This year. I know by buying that pass it goes to maintaining trail heads the bathrooms and trails.

I buy a DP & it go's to State Parks which I don't use and limits me to 2 licence plates.

Confucius

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
First off the nd fed pass is $30 good every where in  usfs and isn't limited to 2 cars. I know because I bought one for elk season. This year. I know by buying that pass it goes to maintaining trail heads the bathrooms and trails.

I buy a DP & it go's to State Parks which I don't use and limits me to 2 licence plates.

I completely understand that.  Many folks don't, and that is part of the issue is to simplify this so people DO have the pass they need when they get to where they are going.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »
Done. I have not had to buy a Discover Pass or National Forest Pass yet but my days are probably numbered. I just got my free Lifetime National Parks Pass so I am good to go for those. I did drop a good chunk of change to Weyco this year though.  :(
That lifetime pass works as a National Forest Pass.  Double check me, but I buy the annual federal pass each year for family national park road trips, and use it at USFS/BLM trailheads.    What burns me up is that "concession" operated day use sites require you to pay, even though before they were leased out the pass covered them.  I don't pay for those-ever.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]