collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear skull  (Read 5048 times)

Offline duckman18

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Tracker
Bear skull
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
Shot a bear opening morning and would like to get the skull cleaned and whitened. Also need to get one redone from 2010 yellow grease is starting to show.  Who on the west side does these? Thanks

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: Bear skull
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »
No need to pay anyone. I did this last year and it worked out great. Pretty fun too.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
Pm me. I'm in Yakima tho.

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
I got a beetle colony and could clean. I would leave the degreasing to you though..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »
I'm sorry but have to reply to this...the way that he is degreasing is not effecient, especially for a bear skull. I have done this method years ago on a few skulls and it will pull SOME of the grease out and the skull will get nice and white and look beautiful, at first. Give that skull two or more months and the grease that is in behind the bones, particularly in the back of the skull and mandible (jaw) joints will leach grease, turn yellow, and stink. I degrease for two months at 100 degrees and soak in acetone for 12-24 hours during the end of the process and some skulls take even longer if grease appears, all before the whitening process. I'm not commenting to get business or say I'm against someone doing it themselves as I have no problem telling people, and have, how to degrease but I guarantee that skull will turn yellow after a few months. Plus, pressure washing that skull after boiling destroys all the fine filament bones in the nasal passages indicative of beautiful European mount.
Anyway....totally my opinion here and hope I didn't offend anyone, but I've done that process before and never again. Bugs or maceration and proper degreasing are the ticket...again, my opinion. If you want to attempt it yourself shoot me a pm and I have no problem telling my methods.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:36:36 PM by BlackRiverTaxidermy »
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
I'm sorry but have to reply to this...the way that he is degreasing is not effecient, especially for a bear skull. I have done this method years ago on a few skulls and it will pull SOME of the grease out and the skull will get nice and white and look beautiful, at first. Give that skull two or more months and the grease that is in behind the bones, particularly in the back of the skull and mandible (jaw) joints will leach grease, turn yellow, and stink. I degrease for two months at 100 degrees and soak in acetone for 12-24 hours during the end of the process and some skulls take even longer if grease appears, all before the whitening process. I'm not commenting to get business or say I'm against someone doing it themselves as I have no problem telling people, and have, how to degrease but I guarantee that skull will turn yellow after a few months. Plus, pressure washing that skull after boiling destroys all the fine filament bones in the nasal passages indicative of beautiful European mount.
Anyway....totally my opinion here and hope I didn't offend anyone, but I've done that process before and never again. Bugs or maceration and proper degreasing are the ticket...again, my opinion. If you want to attempt it yourself shoot me a pm and I have no problem telling you how.
I agree. He sure is popular for not degreasing his skulls at all. You can't hardly call what he does degreasing. Not to mention how boiling bear skulls cracks their teeth.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 09:48:35 PM »
Anyway....totally my opinion here and hope I didn't offend anyone, but I've done that process before and never again. Bugs or maceration and proper degreasing are the ticket...again, my opinion. If you want to attempt it yourself shoot me a pm and I have no problem telling you how.

PM sent! 

Offline duckman18

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
Thanks blackriver taxidermy we were messaging on face book talk to you soon.

Offline Seahawk12

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »
Congrats on the bear Duckman.
Is there a thread up with a pic of it?
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline duckman18

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
No I didn't get any pics. I knew it was going to get really hot Tuesday so I just boned it out and got out of there plus I was by myself.  Nothing special 120 to 140 pounder with a really rubbed coat.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »
way cool for giving good advice and trying to help people out...BTW i have a bear hide with skull that has been in my freezer for about 8 years...just haven't had the gumption to do anything with it...can i still get the skull whitened ?
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »

way cool for giving good advice and trying to help people out...BTW i have a bear hide with skull that has been in my freezer for about 8 years...just haven't had the gumption to do anything with it...can i still get the skull whitened ?
Yes I did a bear that had been in the freezer since the 80's

Offline brokemillwright

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »
I got a beetle colony and could clean. I would leave the degreasing to you though..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
what area are you located by?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
No I didn't get any pics. I knew it was going to get really hot Tuesday so I just boned it out and got out of there plus I was by myself.  Nothing special 120 to 140 pounder with a really rubbed coat.

I really respect this.

Offline hal

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »
you can bleach yourself using peroxide. The peroxide needs to be the strong type purchased from a hairdresser.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]