collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Crossbows during archery season  (Read 8115 times)

Offline justyhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: Crossbows during archery season
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
JDHasty , you are dead on . It's my understanding that the airbow with a good scope has an effective range of 200 yards . If all 1200-1400  (10% of the archery hunters) disable hunters used an airbow , just think of the impact it could have on big game allocation . What's even more ludicrous is that they have already authorized disable hunters to use the airbow during archery season even though it's illegal to use an air rifle in this state to hunt game . Delores Noyes , the disabled coordinator for the WDFW just doesn't understand why we would have a problem with this .  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
JDHasty , you are dead on . It's my understanding that the airbow with a good scope has an effective range of 200 yards . If all 1200-1400  (10% of the archery hunters) disable hunters used an airbow , just think of the impact it could have on big game allocation . What's even more ludicrous is that they have already authorized disable hunters to use the airbow during archery season even though it's illegal to use an air rifle in this state to hunt game . Delores Noyes , the disabled coordinator for the WDFW just doesn't understand why we would have a problem with this .  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Many here know that I have a resume that includes decades of accessibility advocacy.  I have been in the newspapers, on television and radio and have been very effective in that roll, but this decision and the "insider trading" leading up to it is beyond irresponsible. 

I have most all of the public documents in hand and will further sort it out as time allows, but what is clear is that the Game Commission was sold a bill of goods. 

Accommodation is one thing, and I support it without reservation.  I even support the fact that an unscoped crossbow gives a bit of an advantage, but it is IMHO within legitimate accommodation.   This spear gun ruling is absolutely ludicrous, it does not appear to me that the "Green Sheet" provided the decision makers made any attempt to analyze the subject from both sides.

It is a stinking mess at this point, and cleaning up Ms Noyes' mess is going to be even messier, but it needs to be done.

If this ruling stands it opens up a court challenge by able-sighted non-disabled physically hunters to demand equal treatment and that means scopes on their muzzle loading rifles and at that point we are looking at pared back seasons.

If one group of able-sighted hunters gets 250 yard capable weaponry by virtue of having access to scope sights, every able-sighted hunter gets opportunity to the same advantage.  It is in Washington's Constitution.  And make no mistake about it, my Excalibur Matrix 355 is an inch at 50 yards capable and with a 6.5-20 off one of my varmint rifles it would be easy peasy to dial in a 250 yard kill shot and put a bolt completely through a bull elk's boiler room, off a rest, at 250 yards.

It is no big deal to get within a couple hundred yards of elk during Early Archery Season, it is another thing altogether to get within 60 yards.  After they have been chased by archers for a month and then muzzle loader hunters, then it isn't quite so easy to get within 250 yards of the same elk.  If they want to use a scope let them use it during the modern rifle season.   

That is just one court case this travesty begs for, and there are a half-dozen more with equal merit that I can think of off the top of my head.           

Offline jnordwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 09:27:57 PM »
I wish they would allow youth to use a crossbow in archery seasons. My 11 year old can't effectively pull and shoot a legal bow wt. a cross bow would allow him to hunt archery seasons were you get 2 seasons and some units lax bag limit. Which would mean he would have a good time and continue to hunt which in turn would be more money for the state.. but what do I know.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 08:44:18 PM »
I have always been dead set against crossbows in archery season with the exception of disabled hunters.  However after living in Virginia for the past 4+ years where crossbows are perfectly legal, I have changed my view.  I actually bought one and tried it out.  Hated it, big pain in the butt to carry or have in the treestand.  Heavy, LOUD. After a month I sold it.  But what I did realize is it had no effect on me what equipment other folks were using, none what so ever.  I don't choose to use them, but what someone else is using out in the woods has no impact on me.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Vandal44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 06:53:11 AM »
I find this topic very interesting as I never really thought about using a crossbows during archery season until a few years ago after my 4th shoulder surgery.

Faster forward December 14,2017 I went in for my 5th shoulder surgery.  I had two surgeries on my right shoulder and three surgeries on the left shoulder.  I was told by my surgeon that I should have my right shoulder replaced but at 49 years old he felt I was to young. 

My life style has totally changed the thing I enjoyed doing I can longer do.  Putting on a coat, getting something off a shelf that above shoulder height is painful and difficult.  Bow hunting is suppose to be one of thing that I am not suppose to do, I can draw the bow but I can't get my elbow up to the anchor point without a great deal of pain. 

I do not look like I have any physical issues. I stand 6',2" and weigh 235 pounds and look like a linebacker.  Maybe because thats what position I played in college.  After four or five knee surgeries and 5 shoulder surgeries I am a shell of what I used to be.

I have purchased a Crossbow this week and have a call into Dolores at WDFW trying to get the disability application.  I have been wrestling about using a crossbow for this season.  I do plan on purchasing some type of fixed pin sight or non magnifying scope because my eyes are fine other than needing reading glasses.

That Airgun is crazy, I saw one at Cabelas and my buddy that was with me said I should get that instead of the Crossbow.  I told him that would be illegal during archery season.  Guess I am wrong, I am not sure if this should be illegal during archery season not.

you can load and fire 3 arrows out of a vertical bow faster than you could load and fire out of a crossbow.  I look at a crossbow like a muzzleloader "it's a one and done" 

To use the crossbow or not, I will be wrestling with this for next several month.  I love the archery season and I do not want to give it up

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]