collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford 7.3L Diesel vs V10  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Ford 7.3L Diesel vs V10
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »
If you want to wander all over the road with your tail draggin get a Tundra because its a light half ton truck...sweet. they sag with a bag of corn in the back. The 1997' PSD was a sweet ride in any configuration. You can pick up low mile 2wd models super cheap. Still wondering how you compare or suggest a Tundra in a heavy duty conversation. Tundras are great reliable rigs but, for much more than a tent trailer or a small boat, they aren't meant to be used for any heavy work afnd when you see them going down the road with a load it makes me queezy and uneasy. Toyota makes rigs I love but, I'd never buy one for hauling anything. Their suspension may as well be in a sleep train mattress commercial.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »
Sounds like the V10 would meet your needs nicely.  You won't gain much going with the 7.3L it has only an extra 75lb ft of torque. They are great motors but not worth the premium price or the additional upkeep.
Except the 7.3 (at least mine) will get almost twice the mpg and will last twice as long. I get 21-24 mpg towing or not  I doubt you will ever get that towing with a v10

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:48:21 AM »
I have a '01 crew cab , 7.3.
Get 16-18 mpg
It tows our 31' camp trailer a lot, done well on the grades I've gone up.
 If we go on a trip everyone asks to take the truck, so it's turned into a family rig ( also have a sequoia )
It is noisy
If I had to do it over again I would have got a manual. 7.3 tranny isnt the best .
I have done a few mods to make it run cooler while towing, just pulled the engine out and redid a few thing this last winter.

I can't say I'm In love with the 7.3 as a engine, but it's tough to beat the cab space with a 8' bed.

But you will have a heck of a time finding a good 7.3 that's in that budget.
I paid a bit more for mine, but it was worth it
   :twocents:

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
My old man had a mid size motor home with the v-10 and would tow his boat with it all the time.  Maybe 5-6k lb boat.  Never an issue other than planning trips between fuel stops.  Made the trip over 20 plenty of times and kept up with traffic as you'd expect.  Both are good choices, have their ups and downs. 
The v10 truck is probably harder to find in low mileage.  There are some dandy 7.3 trucks out there with plenty of life left, some within your price range.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 07:18:05 AM »
So, looking at getting a different truck and have zero'd in on something like 2000-2002 F250/350 Super Duty Crew Cab.  Any thoughts on whether to go with the 7.3 diesel or the V10?  The last diesel I had was an early 90's F250 and that engine gave me a fit until I got rid of the truck...

I will be using the truck to pull a 6k pound travel trailer from time to time but for the most part it is just for hunting/biking etc...

And no, haven't really considered the other brands. :)  My main criteria is under 10k, crew cab, 4wd and full size.

A v-8 gas in any full size pickup will pull the travel trailer, if you aren't needing the diesel or the v-10 for any other purposes than occasional towing the trailer I would reconsider wanting either. For 10k you'll have a hard time finding a 7.3 that doesn't have a lot of miles, the motor itself may be good but lots of very expensive problems can crop up when those trucks get lots of miles and your 10k truck can become a 15k or 20k truck real quickly. If you buy the v-10 you can get a truck with fewer miles for the same price but your going to have terrible gas mileage all the time. I'm also not sure if the ford v-10 is as dependable as the dodge v-10. I can attest that the dodge v-10 is a strong motor that lasts a long time, I have one and know of others with 200,000 to 300,000+ miles. You can probably find an older lower mileage dodge v-10 pretty affordable and it will have the power to pull your trailer if you think you want to live with the lower fuel mileage of a v-10. I like the comfort of the fords better than dodge, but I think you'd be better off in the long run with a v-8 gas in a ford if you are only towing occasionally.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »
I have a friend that works at a city bus garage. The buses with the V10 have been very dependable long past 500,000. Ambulances AMR runs around with the V10, you would be surprised what the odometer reads on those things!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
I have a friend that works at a city bus garage. The buses with the V10 have been very dependable long past 500,000. Ambulances AMR runs around with the V10, you would be surprised what the odometer reads on those things!

That's good to know, I wasn't sure about the ford v-10!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Sounds like the V10 would meet your needs nicely.  You won't gain much going with the 7.3L it has only an extra 75lb ft of torque. They are great motors but not worth the premium price or the additional upkeep.
Except the 7.3 (at least mine) will get almost twice the mpg and will last twice as long. I get 21-24 mpg towing or not  I doubt you will ever get that towing with a v10

I've never seen a 7.3 anything get 24mpg, much less towing. The fuel economy is better, but not that much better.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 08:07:29 PM »

I've never seen a 7.3 anything get 24mpg, much less towing. The fuel economy is better, but not that much better.

The tank is a 36 gallon not a 72 gallon .. hahalol
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
I recently had a Bigfoot motor home with a V10 and I also have a 2002 Ford Excursion Ltd. with a 7.3 diesel that we use to pull a newly acquired Bigfoot 25' trailer.  Both are powerful engines and will pull any trailer without much difficulty.  I have to say I was really impressed with the power the 09' V10 in the motor home put out.  Hills didn't exist for the most part.

Let me put it this way.  If I were looking for a good tow rig for our trailer, and had difficulty finding a 7.3, I would not hesitate to purchase a low mile V10 for less money.  Yeah the milage isn't as good, but then again the purchase price is lower, so initial savings.  I for one really don't even think much about milage.  If you are towing or pushing a big RV down the road, even at 8 mgh a gallon with the V10, moving the family and all your stuff is a bargain.  I would not want to walk 8 miles for $3 and change.  It's all in how you look at something I guess.....and that's coming from someone that grew up in an era of .17 to .25 cents a gallon gas.     
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]