collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: NE OR Spring Bear Hunt  (Read 354 times)

Offline Elkfever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
NE OR Spring Bear Hunt
« on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:12 AM »
Worked my butt off for 5 full days in NE Oregon, hunting the south side of the Wallowas, to fill my first spring bear tag. Hunted three days with my dad and two solo in some incredible country that was full of wildlife, blooming vegetation, bi polar weather and a relaxing stillness that I have been craving since last fall. I failed to fill my tag but it wasn't for lack of seeing bears- it just didn't work out to harvest one but that's hunting. I learned a lot about bear hunting, got a jump on my fall hunting preparation, tested out some new gear and made it out of the woods without a tick bite (I think).

Some new gear that performed well was my new K2 frame, First Lite Stormtight pants and Halstead Fleece and Garmin Rino 650 with On X Maps chip.

Couple things I learned hunting bear- I concentrated a lot on south slope green up but I saw most of my bears on green north and east facing slopes slopes, especially because they had good lush feed and more shelter from the hot weather. Ticks are relentless and will show up even after thorough tick checks. Always take your time when evaluating bears, cubs may not be apparent until a while later. If you think a bear looks small, it probably is.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:42:44 PM by Elkfever »

Offline Milkman

• Tracker
Re: NE OR Spring Bear Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Beautiful pics.  Looks like great country.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:24:38 AM »
great pictures. theres a learning curve to the spring hunt, stick with it. one of my fav hunts of the year

Offline Doublelunger

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
Very cool, great pics. Love that country. I've been hunting the Minam the last few years for spring bear. Its actually turned into one of my favorite hunts. I found that it's really difficult in that country to spot a bear and then get within range to make a shot before they would disappear.  We missed some opportunities at some great bears, but I was able to get a decent on down on my last day out.

Offline Elkfever

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
So true on seeing bears but then being able to access or locate them again to harvest, is another thing.  There were so many things about the hunt that didn't involve bears that I enjoyed, it really made for a quality experience.  I want to do this hunt again but I got to admit, the ticks were a real downer.  It changed the way I hunted and honestly, held me back from a couple opportunities to close distance on bears.  After finding ticks on me from hikes on slightly overgrown roads or trails, made the thought of busting through reprod or thick berry bushes with ticks, a nightmare.  I was super diligent on tick checks throughout the day but my dad wasn't and had major issues.  I bought the sawyer Permetherin but didn't like the thought of soaking my FL base layers in a super concentrated chemical and then having that against my skin.  Instead, I chose to just be careful and ended up lucking out for the most part.  Rambling on here about ticks but I think the overall experience outweighed the bad and will have me back chasing those chocolate phase bears hopefully next year. 

Offline Elkfever

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:07:34 PM »
Congrats Doublelunger!  That Minam country is awesome.  Would love to see pics of your hunt and bear if you care to share.  Definitely one thing to see bears in that big country, another to get within range.  Pretty cool seeing those bears in sheep country. 

Offline Doublelunger

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »
Congrats Doublelunger!  That Minam country is awesome.  Would love to see pics of your hunt and bear if you care to share.  Definitely one thing to see bears in that big country, another to get within range.  Pretty cool seeing those bears in sheep country.

Ok I don't want to thread jack so you inspired me to do a write up and post some pictures!

* Recent Topics