collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant, quail, huns?  (Read 5848 times)

sisu

Pheasant, quail, huns?
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:39:37 PM »
Went out today looking for quail and Huns thinking we could scout out some pheasant areas at the same time. Hunted the Escure Ranch area saw ONE Hun and that was it; spent about 4 hours on the property.

As far as pheasant were concerned we saw one rooster in a farmers front yard and that was it. I called a local farmer that I know and asked him what he's seen this fall for birds and got the same report. He was out today disking a field from 8 till 4 and saw ZERO pheasant, quail, and pheasant.

I'll be heading out again Sunday till Wednesday to see what is what is some other areas. I'll post again when I get back.

What are the rest of you seeing?

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Pheasant, quail, huns?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:16:24 AM »
 Your comments echo what I have been hearing also. I haven't been out enough to form my own opinion though.

That Escure Ranch sure is a neat place isn't it? I usually spend a day late in the winter to chase coyotes. My last trip out I lost a pair of Stoney point shooting sticks. I'm pretty sure I know where they are, just haven't been there since March '06

Offline Intruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:21:02 AM »
2 days hunting.... semi-serious, in Whitman county.  0 huns 1/2 dozen quail.  Seen a few roosters but not many.  Think it's gonna be a tough 1 on the east side this year.   :(

Offline fluentvoo

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »
I went to the eastside on Sat. the 13th. Worked for chukar from about 8am till 3 or so, got 3. But the numbers seem low, and all 3 came from one covey bust. Came off the mountain and went for quail. Tons of quail, seems way up in the same area i have been working for 3 years. I couldn't load the gun fast enough. Gonna head over again on this Sat. morning. Not gonna waste any time on chukar this trip. Gonna focus on quail. If I happen to see a few pheasant, thats great!

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 09:54:58 AM »
I went to the eastside on Sat. the 13th

Were you in the Okanogan or clear over in the SE... Snake River area?

Offline fluentvoo

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
Chukar were in LT murray, just south of ellensberg (sp). quail near the yakima R. valley. For chukar, I have found that if i am getting tired, then 2 more draws/ridges farther in should be where most people aren't willing to go  ;). I am gonna hit my normal spots in the morning for quail, and then a couple FFTH spots i have looked at on google satellite images. I take hwy 12 or 90 over the mountains.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:08:09 AM »
i was in the southeast around pomeroy this weekend in crp and wheat stubble and saw maybe a dozen huns, 0 quail and 0 pheasants. one of my hunting buddies saw 1 pheasant, but i'm not sure if it was a hen or a rooster.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline fluentvoo

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 09:20:11 AM »
Looks like rain is in the forecast for this weekend around yakima. Wonder if it will keep some of the hunters at home? I'm gonna be pulling out the rain gear.

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »
 If you can stand it the rain makes for a good pheasant hunt. I believe it holds the birds better and it makes the cover queiter to sneek up on them.

A lot of guys have already made motel reservations and have taken time off work for this opening week. I don't think you will see much of a decline in hunter numbers.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »
I'm hearing that the Rez is doing pretty good for pheasants this year down by Toppenish.

sisu

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »
Drove about 350 miles since Sunday saw 4 pheasant. I wasn't hunting but I was looking.

Offline missinmt

• Fishin' or Huntin'
  • Tracker
  • John 3:16
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »
Well, for my first post ever on this site  :IBCOOL: (just got here from MM), I made it home from deer camp on Friday to hit the reservation on Saturday.  Decent day, took a limit in about two hours.  It will only get tougher, though.  Dog did real well, as he recovered a wounded rooster that I did not shoot.  He flushed a good group for me about an hour later and I nailed two of them.  Been a long time since I hit a double header.  8)
If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal