collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Members are complaining about the off-topics board, how should it be changed?

Keep off-topics the way it is, members can freely opt in and opt out
168 (58.7%)
Keep off-topics the way it is but make all members opt in again
11 (3.8%)
Make off topics by request and approval only, you would have to request membership
13 (4.5%)
Remove off-topics from the forum completely
38 (13.3%)
I really don't care what happens with off-topics
31 (10.8%)
Off Topics has the same rules as the rest of the forum
25 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Author Topic: POLL: Members are complaining about the off-topics, how should it be changed?  (Read 53540 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
The problem I see is that someone starts a subject not in the OT section then someone else post/trolls and it ends up in the OT. When this happens then it seems that the OP was punished and the subject was moved to appease the trolls. If the OP is not opted in OT then their thread just got hijacked from them.

I touched on this earlier where the thread should be moderated and cleaned up, not moved.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
If the topic is not outdoor related it really should go in OT.  It seems that a lot of people think OT is just for confrontation and political discussion.  But if you look at the topic description for VC it says: OUTDOOR RELATED TOPICS only! .... Join OFF-TOPICS to talk Politics, News, Religion, Rants, etc.

Seems to me that more topics could go in OT if it was supposed to be moderated like the other forums.  I liked the idea of less moderation in the beginning but people have proven to need moderating. There are some childish people that need help.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
If your gonna delete topics for being off topic , that rule would have to apply for everybody ,not just a few people from the off topics section.

Some people tend to be more outspoken and confrontational than others. It's not the mods as much as it's the poster.
So should there be more rules for people that are more outspoken and confrontational, or what do you mean by this comment.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
The problem I see is that someone starts a subject not in the OT section then someone else post/trolls and it ends up in the OT. When this happens then it seems that the OP was punished and the subject was moved to appease the trolls. If the OP is not opted in OT then their thread just got hijacked from them.

I touched on this earlier where the thread should be moderated and cleaned up, not moved.  :tup:

If it not a hunting/outdoors/general theme of the huntwa forum related thread, it gets moved to the OT.

For example, don't start a thread about Donald Trump in the Virtual Campfire board just because you don't want to opt into the OT. If you want Trump talk, it's in the OT.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
If your gonna delete topics for being off topic , that rule would have to apply for everybody ,not just a few people from the off topics section.

Some people tend to be more outspoken and confrontational than others. It's not the mods as much as it's the poster.
So should there be more rules for people that are more outspoken and confrontational, or what do you mean by this comment.

Same rules apply to everyone. The ones that are more outspoken, tend to push the boundaries, test us, stir the pot, etc will see the rules inflicted upon them more often. Probably goes without saying.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt

Same rules apply to everyone. The ones that are more outspoken, tend to push the boundaries, test us, stir the pot, etc will see the rules inflicted upon them more often. Probably goes without saying.
Well said,and very true.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt

If it not a hunting/outdoors/general theme of the huntwa forum related thread, it gets moved to the OT.

For example, don't start a thread about Donald Trump in the Virtual Campfire board just because you don't want to opt into the OT. If you want Trump talk, it's in the OT.

So why don't the mods move the other ten topics in virtual camp that are off topic right now?

Offline Bofire

• Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
leave it alone, I am not forced to look at it. neither is anyone else.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend

So why don't the mods move the other ten topics in virtual camp that are off topic right now?

Here's the description of what belongs in the OT board. It's posted right at the top of the board.

Politics, News, Rants, etc. Open discussion, minimal moderation, parental discretion advised!

If there's a thread fits those parameters, it goes. If it doesn't, it can stay. If you see something that you feel fits those parameters, let us know and we'll move it. We don't see everything.

Not sure what exactly you're talking about, but if you mean maybe the sports topics or something like that, they can stay as long as they stay on track. The threads that tend to cause drama, friction, etc. are the ones that end up getting moved.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
Ok got it.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt

Here's the description of what belongs in the OT board. It's posted right at the top of the board.

Politics, News, Rants, etc. Open discussion, minimal moderation, parental discretion advised!

If there's a thread fits those parameters, it goes. If it doesn't, it can stay. If you see something that you feel fits those parameters, let us know and we'll move it. We don't see everything.

Not sure what exactly you're talking about, but if you mean maybe the sports topics or something like that, they can stay as long as they stay on track. The threads that tend to cause drama, friction, etc. are the ones that end up getting moved.

Well it looks like virtual camp is for outdoor related topics,so I guess I was a little confused.sorry. :tup:

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Sometimes I think walking in Dale's shoes would be a hoot.

Then I think that he has to take part of his day to address crap like this and I don't want his shoes near me  :chuckle:

I voted I didn't care.  I say opt in or opt out but quit yer belly achin.  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan

What I mean is that some people get more attention from the mods because they attract it. The rules apply to everyone and for the most part, they are applied equally. But those who attract fire often feel like they're being picked on.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
I voted to keep it the way it is.
I will leave it at that.
Goodday :tup:

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
All are valid points but I pose one question;  What is the name of this forum?  Yes "Hunt" not Snopes, CNN, or Fox.  Start or go to another forum for that stuff.  What made this a great site isn't off topics.  I enjoy off topics often and good can be had there but why should it?  Its a cancer and just causes division, angst and sore ego's imop.  It needs chemo and eradicated.  This would be a better brotherhood of like minded outdoorsman not being divided over petty opinions.  We all have more in common than not and should remain focused on the positives of this great forum.  There is other places for politics and arguments people can visit.  I know it was created to help mods not babysit and let people vent but it at least needs more separation, like no connection to main site.  Back to virtual campfire and if it goes south just delete entire thread, that's my solution.
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand