collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rimrock archery elk  (Read 6652 times)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Rimrock archery elk
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:09:24 AM »
So I've been hunting archery elk in this unit since I picked up a bow again about 8 years ago. I know some of it really well. This year I pulled a bull tag so I've been getting to know a lot more of it over the summer.

With the closure of the 1000 road, im curious what  those of you impacted by it are planning to do?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:26:40 AM by bracer40 »
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
Re: Rimrock archery elk
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:02 AM »
Its going to really crowd the other areas down low.  Its already busy down low with all the road hunters. Im sure you will see some elk running by with there tongues hanging out due to all the pressure.
KD

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:22 AM »
Plenty of area accessible away from the 1000 line. My old man has the same tag but knowing what I know of the general area, he "won't be passing something the first day that he would be happy with the last day" if you are picking up what I am putting down.  :tup:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:17:58 AM »
My back has been monkied up for over a year, and recently it's gotten into my siatic, couldn't hardly stand for 6 weeks much less walk. Finally getting it cracked loose and back on my feet over the last couple weeks. Just ready to go up again now... Wife and I are meat hunting the archery season for the first time up here this year, (her first time ever) and I've only been scouting once! I'll be playing catch-up.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline DJones89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
There's a few roads that can get you pretty close to the 1000 roads and lots of area the most people don't want to go. We get into decent bulls in that unit every year but haven't been drawn yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »
There's a few roads that can get you pretty close to the 1000 roads and lots of area the most people don't want to go. We get into decent bulls in that unit every year but haven't been drawn yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Areas most people don't want to go". Funny, in the past eight years I've hunted RR, I've seen maybe a handful of other hunters where I hunted (mostly treestands). Of course we saw loads of hunters driving past camp during the day...
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »
Did you get your  parking permit , road closure map , and tickets to the Christion rock show at the top of the mountain on morning before opening day ? And that noise you here when your trying to sleep , oh that's the jeep cub that's goof juice propelled alllllllll night so don't worry they pass out or go to jail by 430am.  And yes ill be there most probably right with you thinking im hunting or something,i got some real good advice from a world record elk caller about this area 364 , he said take your bugle and sell it on ebay to some slacked jawed yokel in Missouri cuz in our great state it has no use as to the great figgers that are uot there ..... All of our mr. majestics are completely aware of our and wolf presents , therefore they themselves talk very littlr or not at all , as wayne Charlton says , the less calling you do the better , he makes and sells calls and admitted to me face to face he doesn't use them, that being said heres what you do according to the master . Get close and do nothing but a lost calf call , this is the only call that isn't known to the elk as being a locater call for you and me and the preditors because the calf doesn't know what hes saying hes just lost , the caf any calf will respond and the bulls will follow saying the heck do you think your going without asking ? Ive done this and it worked to a tee , I got everything but the shot and its a day I wiil never forget ,,, take that one to hart alllllll of it !!! :o
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:00 AM »
Did you get your  parking permit , road closure map , and tickets to the Christion rock show at the top of the mountain on morning before opening day ? And that noise you here when your trying to sleep , oh that's the jeep cub that's goof juice propelled alllllllll night so don't worry they pass out or go to jail by 430am.  And yes ill be there most probably right with you thinking im hunting or something,i got some real good advice from a world record elk caller about this area 364 , he said take your bugle and sell it on ebay to some slacked jawed yokel in Missouri cuz in our great state it has no use as to the great figgers that are uot there ..... All of our mr. majestics are completely aware of our and wolf presents , therefore they themselves talk very littlr or not at all , as wayne Charlton says , the less calling you do the better , he makes and sells calls and admitted to me face to face he doesn't use them, that being said heres what you do according to the master . Get close and do nothing but a lost calf call , this is the only call that isn't known to the elk as being a locater call for you and me and the preditors because the calf doesn't know what hes saying hes just lost , the caf any calf will respond and the bulls will follow saying the heck do you think your going without asking ? Ive done this and it worked to a tee , I got everything but the shot and its a day I wiil never forget ,,, take that one to hart alllllll of it !!! :o

What?
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:04:50 AM »
Take a Jeep and jeep in on 4x4 roads!  Calf call may work as every one blows bugles and elk are wise too it all.  Go as deep as you can if ya want to see bigger bulls?  I think...
MAGA!  Again..

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »
very true , if your able to get there ,if the roads arnt closed to fire reasons but if the road is closed , 99% chance that's where the states revenue is..

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »

We need to start a seperate thread with all the good quotes from Cryder :tup:

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »

We need to start a seperate thread with all the good quotes from Cryder :tup:
I'd love to share a campfire and a few beverages with Mr. Cryder.
― Groucho Marx

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »
   Well with the 1000 line closure there is actually a small chance you might be able to get away from the crowds.  The additional mileage to the wilderness boundary might just make it worth going back there.  Of course the horse guys will be hitting it hard.  I agree the less you call the better chance you have.   There are elk throughout the unit but your kidding yourself if you think other guys aren't getting off the road and putting the miles on. Been hunting the unit for over 20 years and I wouldn't overlook the east end of the unit.  Everyone wants to head towards Conrad or Pine grass but there are a ton of elk up around lost lake\Louie gap.  Good luck.

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 06:35:51 PM »
LOST LAKE IS THE BEST PLACE IN THE LAST 3 YEARS FROM WHAT IVE SEEN AND BEEN TOLD

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »
We camped the Louie trail lost lake area last year.  Seen plenty of sign but no animals.  Pickle prairie I would most certain at least check out?
MAGA!  Again..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101