collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Motorcycle ?  (Read 6454 times)

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Motorcycle ?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
You need this. Forget the 65+mph-If you can hit the dirt within 25miles of your home and keep it at 55-60 or below, this is the bike. Tons of mods possible. I have 2, mine and one for my wife that I lowered 3in, she's 5'1" My oldest son(37) has one as well as to of my best friends, and several other hunting buddies. Pic is not me. But shows what the little bike is capable of. I have taken out 2 deer on my bike as well. You don't say where you are from but if you get up to the Smokey Point area and would like to throw a leg over one let me know. Here's a pic of my bike as well with the scabbard on.
Just ask at www.TW200forum.com
aka:goldenhtr

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 03:39:33 PM by goldenhtr »
Gen:27:3

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 09:40:40 PM »
I hunt coyotes, hunt 30 minutes and on down the road a couple mile and hunt again.  I easily put a hundred miles a day, with my van that adds up to alot of gas and wear on the van.  I would like to park the van and use it as a base camp and hunt off the motorcycle, no need to haul any gear other than a few coyote skins and a couple gallons of fuel.  Think park the truck in Moses Lake  run to the Tri cities and hunt all day, next day up to Brewster, then to Ritzville. you get the picture.  I do this for a few months thru the winter in the SW hunting NV, AZ and NM.  If you can lower a TW-200 I might have to rethink it although I hear they are very buzzy at highway speed..  The Suzuki S40 is a 650cc single that is under 400 lbs same with the Honda Rebel 300.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »
Kind of a bit different direction but the Honda Ruckus might fit your needs. I have talked with a few guys that run them and they appear fairly trail competent and meet most of your criteria. Good for shorter people because you don't straddle it. Slower speed than you are looking for is the main detractor.

I also have a klr 250 that is a good bike that they make a lowering link for. 70mph is about tops but it weighs about 225 lbs and has good low torque.

Offline goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:26:38 AM »
I hunt coyotes, hunt 30 minutes and on down the road a couple mile and hunt again.  I easily put a hundred miles a day, with my van that adds up to alot of gas and wear on the van.  I would like to park the van and use it as a base camp and hunt off the motorcycle, no need to haul any gear other than a few coyote skins and a couple gallons of fuel.  Think park the truck in Moses Lake  run to the Tri cities and hunt all day, next day up to Brewster, then to Ritzville. you get the picture.  I do this for a few months thru the winter in the SW hunting NV, AZ and NM.  If you can lower a TW-200 I might have to rethink it although I hear they are very buzzy at highway speed..  The Suzuki S40 is a 650cc single that is under 400 lbs same with the Honda Rebel 300.

Yes that's quite a drive between locations. If taking back roads and not in a hurry it would still work. But yes they can be buzzy if riding at 55+ for long periods.  Me, I stick to 80% dirt roads. I'm no longer interested in going fast from point A to point B. But with some regearing you could significantly reduce the buzzing. But sounds like you need a bigger displacement bike. But that comes with the height issue. Good luck.
Gen:27:3

Offline huntinguy

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
honda used to make a 400cc ruckus. I have seen them do 65+ on the freeway.  A little pricey if you can find one.

Suzuki makes a TU250X, pipes are low but a nice retro bike with a 30 seat height.

There are some nice Honda 110 floating around. the 65MPH might be asking too much but...

Dual Sports are tall. Wish they would come back out with the old Enduro's again.

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 09:19:04 PM »
Go old school. I keep a ''74 Honda 360 dual sport at our place in Chelan for just that type of purpose. I can take mama touring the vinyards one day, next day hit the dirt roads to pop over the mountain between Chelan and the Methow. Then instead of beating myself up going back over the top I hit hwy 97 to zoom down the columbia back to  Chelan. The 360 works well because it weighs under 400 pounds and has a 6 speed trans - the CB 350 has the same motor but 5 speed so runs hig rpm at freeway speed.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 07:38:09 AM »
I had a CB400 Honda hawk, with the right tires it would certainly do it.   I put knobbies on mine and had a ball slinging mud with it, but I did a lot of highway miles on it and she rode pretty good, topped out about 115 (with a stiff tail wind and slightly downhill) but 65 was no problem.

Mine was rough I paid like 400 bucks for it, sat in someone's garage for 20 years.  Had to redo the seat and go through it
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:36:02 AM by KFhunter »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »
If all you are going to ride is gravel roads I say keep an eye out for a cheep road bike that may fit the bill and purchase some dirt bike tires. Have you seen the bike in Walking Dead? Tv show. It's like a Harley with off road lobbies front AND rear.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Rich_S

• Scout
  • Retired Seattle Fire Captain - 1st. Paramedic
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
I turn 75 this year and had to sell my 2003 Suzuki 1400 Intruder. Outstanding road bike but too darn heavy for an old guy.
Even standing still, if I got a little tipped, it was going over, no question about it! It was 525# and I could not get it up by myself. I got $3,000 for it with less than 1,000 miles on the clock.

Traded up to a 2014 Yamaha 250 Virago for the same price with under 4,000 miles. Just about 300#. Nice and low but plenty of ground clearance. Not really a brush bike but no problem for gravel or dirt. Can keep up with traffic on the freeway, but it's straining a bit. 75 mph flat out, probably won't last very long that way.

I like it a lot, but miss the shaft drive of my last two bikes. I think they make a 525 cc model.
Rich

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal