collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92340 times)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #330 on: September 03, 2017, 09:52:51 AM »
I want to thank everyone who commented, we listened, I hope the forum changes have provided an improvement in the H-W experience for most members.

Thanks Dale,
The level of hostility seems to be dramatically reduced.  Thanks for making this a friendlier forum!
Dave

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #331 on: September 04, 2017, 02:18:18 PM »
It seems as though I just haven't had the time lately. I do like to come on and research but haven't even been able to do that. I never have posted much but a lot less now but not for any negative reasons. I've met a lot of people on this site and will keep coming back as I've had nothing but good experiences.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #332 on: September 07, 2017, 12:55:27 AM »
I read the entire thread in a single sitting then walked away for a few hours to give it some thought.  That didn't help. 

I think that the many members that posted so far have summed up pretty well what the negative issues are regarding lack of participation and loss of esteemed members.  Positive changes have been instituted and only time will tell if morale improves.  If nothing else, this thread served as an important outlet for members to vent their frustrations, which I believe is very therapeutic a positive step in the right direction. 

Personally, I joined the forum to learn more about hunting Blacktails.  The negativity and arguing, just for the sake of arguing never bothered me.  It is (or was) much worse on the Oregon forum I used to follow.  Seems to be just the way life is these days. For me, it is so very easy to close a negative thread and move on to some other topic that I rarely get caught in the quagmire.  I tried not to step on toes too often, (though I think I completely broke a few of Bone Addict's toes last season  - sorry again!), and I try to accept the fact that someone is probably going to disagree with my opinion before I post - that way I get less irritated when it actually happens. 

Sadly, many of the members that left the forum over the last few years were the ones who actually took the time to try to teach less experienced hunters.  I've read and re-read many of the archived/old posts for more information to the point that I rarely ever search for information there anymore.  Once the opportunity to learn something worthwhile here stopped, my desire to spend a lot of time here waned as well.  In past hunting seasons and off-seasons, I attempted to start threads or ask questions in order to stimulate conversation and perhaps create a little learning opportunity for those interested in my topics.  Many times, I'd get only a smattering of responses, sometimes none at all.  Often, the threads would go sideways without ever even discussing the topic at hand.   I've pretty much given up on that pursuit.  These days, I hit the deer hunting section, sometimes look at trail cam pics, read and send a few PMs to my buddies, and spend a few minutes posting to threads going completely ignored by others, just so that the OP feels like he/she at least got a response to their query. 

My biggest recommendation for improving this forum, especially for those trying to learn hunting skills and tactics, would be to have a beginners sticky thread in each of the hunting sections (elk, deer, bear, waterfowl,  etc. ) where members could post ideas and techniques that they believe are important to learn in order for a beginner to be successful.  A lot of this information is already available and could be copy/pasted easily.  Additional information could be added over time as questions arise.  Eventually, a single sticky thread for each major game species might just become a great resource of knowledge for neophytes and reduce the amount of repetition of the typical questions we all see frequently.   If we are successful in teaching someone to hunt well, they will likely be a hunter for life and become an advocate for hunting.  If we choose not to try, many will just move on to some other activity.  Time in the woods is hugely important in learning to hunt, but if we can reduce the amount of time required to learn basic skills, then everyone benefits.

1:00 AM - better get some sleep. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #333 on: September 07, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
I read the entire thread in a single sitting then walked away for a few hours to give it some thought.  That didn't help. 

I think that the many members that posted so far have summed up pretty well what the negative issues are regarding lack of participation and loss of esteemed members.  Positive changes have been instituted and only time will tell if morale improves.  If nothing else, this thread served as an important outlet for members to vent their frustrations, which I believe is very therapeutic a positive step in the right direction. 

Personally, I joined the forum to learn more about hunting Blacktails.  The negativity and arguing, just for the sake of arguing never bothered me.  It is (or was) much worse on the Oregon forum I used to follow.  Seems to be just the way life is these days. For me, it is so very easy to close a negative thread and move on to some other topic that I rarely get caught in the quagmire.  I tried not to step on toes too often, (though I think I completely broke a few of Bone Addict's toes last season  - sorry again!), and I try to accept the fact that someone is probably going to disagree with my opinion before I post - that way I get less irritated when it actually happens. 

Sadly, many of the members that left the forum over the last few years were the ones who actually took the time to try to teach less experienced hunters.  I've read and re-read many of the archived/old posts for more information to the point that I rarely ever search for information there anymore.  Once the opportunity to learn something worthwhile here stopped, my desire to spend a lot of time here waned as well.  In past hunting seasons and off-seasons, I attempted to start threads or ask questions in order to stimulate conversation and perhaps create a little learning opportunity for those interested in my topics.  Many times, I'd get only a smattering of responses, sometimes none at all.  Often, the threads would go sideways without ever even discussing the topic at hand.   I've pretty much given up on that pursuit.  These days, I hit the deer hunting section, sometimes look at trail cam pics, read and send a few PMs to my buddies, and spend a few minutes posting to threads going completely ignored by others, just so that the OP feels like he/she at least got a response to their query. 

My biggest recommendation for improving this forum, especially for those trying to learn hunting skills and tactics, would be to have a beginners sticky thread in each of the hunting sections (elk, deer, bear, waterfowl,  etc. ) where members could post ideas and techniques that they believe are important to learn in order for a beginner to be successful.  A lot of this information is already available and could be copy/pasted easily.  Additional information could be added over time as questions arise.  Eventually, a single sticky thread for each major game species might just become a great resource of knowledge for neophytes and reduce the amount of repetition of the typical questions we all see frequently.   If we are successful in teaching someone to hunt well, they will likely be a hunter for life and become an advocate for hunting.  If we choose not to try, many will just move on to some other activity.  Time in the woods is hugely important in learning to hunt, but if we can reduce the amount of time required to learn basic skills, then everyone benefits.

1:00 AM - better get some sleep.

I've been advocating for a "Best of" sticky  in each section for this very reason!

I started a thread on tires because I happen to have a lot of knowledge of them as an example/resource.  The best example I would love to see copied is on Jeepforum.com under the Cherokee co category. A wealth of knowledge about the vehicle. Tutorials cross reference parts etc.
2c
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #334 on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:03 AM »
I am trying to post more.  I do prefer Rokslide as my first forum but do my best to support this as well.

Here is a few trail camera pictures from this August to support the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #335 on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »
 :tup:

Shooter X3!

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2017, 11:37:23 AM »
I have benefited a lot from this site and won't let the bad apples ruin it for me.
I was on here a lot before I started looking for deer. This place and a few really good friends helped my son shoot a deer on his 2nd day of hunting.
That was 2012 and I have yet to shoot one but I will keep reading the posts and hitting the hills until I do.

My thanks to you all for contribing to my many good times.

Nick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline ebusa

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #337 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
I have been on this site for several years. Usually lurking and reading the threads during the day at work  :yike:.

I really do not have a lot of time for posting. If something interests me or I can add potential value I will post or reply. Also, some folks may post and they never get a reply....I"ve seen those and thought, poor guy, got gaffed by everyone...lol

I have a bad habit of hanging out in the classifieds! lol

I've purchased and sold numerous firearms on this site and have met some awesome folks here! 

Now that hunting season is coming up, I find myself logging on more as I'm trying to get excited for the upcoming year...

-Evan
USMC 1994-1998 E5/SGT
Semper Fi!

Offline JM

• Scout
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
I'll post photos If you can figure out a way of keeping coordinates off of pictures. I usually have my GPS off but it's not worth the risk of ruining a spot to show off a picture of a buck to people I'll never know.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
I'll post photos If you can figure out a way of keeping coordinates off of pictures. I usually have my GPS off but it's not worth the risk of ruining a spot to show off a picture of a buck to people I'll never know.

Sent you a pm.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »

You can always take a picture of the photo while looking at it on your laptop etc. No way those coordinates could ever get out that way. Not the best pics but a extra safe guard.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
I'm super paranoid so I use the snip tool and capture the photo that way on my desktop.  Plus it helps me to crop out what I don't want in there.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #342 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »

You can always take a picture of the photo while looking at it on your laptop etc. No way those coordinates could ever get out that way. Not the best pics but a extra safe guard.

You can screen shot the picture with your phone too. You'll get a quality picture that way.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #343 on: September 15, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
I'm super paranoid so I use the snip tool and capture the photo that way on my desktop.  Plus it helps me to crop out what I don't want in there.

Real easy to crop from your phone also.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #344 on: September 15, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
The other solution, of course, is to use an actual camera rather than a phone to take your photos. Doesn't anybody carry a camera in their pack anymore?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal