collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92323 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
Why won't you post?
I'm sure I can think of a dozen answers.  We are really trying to improve this place.  I'd love to hear from you why you don't post.  Maybe you used to, maybe you never have.  Even those of you who never do, I'd love to hear why.   It's not meant to argue or to pursuad, just trying to hear your reason.   Simple sentence will do. 

Bottom line, if we all decide to just watch and not contribute, there won't be much to watch, and another forum bites the dust.   

Personally I know this place has changed, and I don't enjoy it near as I used too.  I'd like to fix that.   
Please respond.    I'd make a poll, but I'd just assume hear your voice.

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
For me it's the nit picking and judgement of the post's. like not wearing orange in the trophy pic or the pointing out of every detail that could be or has the possibility of being unsafe or maybe could be illegal not that it is but it could be if you look at it a certain way.There also seems to be a clique that can get away with saying things that others can not.I love this place but i don't post much because of this. :(

Offline rideorange

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
 :yeah:
For me it's the nit picking and judgement of the post's. like not wearing orange in the trophy pic or the pointing out of every detail that could be or has the possibility of being unsafe or maybe could be illegal not that it is but it could be if you look at it a certain way.There also seems to be a clique that can get away with saying things that others can not.I love this place but i don't post much because of this. :(

dogs in stores as a example, i agree with grocery store no dog, i dont take mine to a city street fair etc, i do take him into coastal farm, would have said as much, all i got out of topic was pretty much nobody wants to ever see my dog,,moved on and lurked

Offline kenzmad

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
I used to be a very active member on here. For me, it all started when the Off Topics board was created. This used to be a friendly site, family friendly. Yes, there were a few topics that were posted that didnt belong. Now it seems anything and anything is posted and the mods need to move it. Dont get me wrong, I am on here every day. I read what appears interesting but ya, this site isnt the same.
A stranger ain't nothing more than a friend you haven't met yet

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
For me it's the nit picking and judgement of the post's. like not wearing orange in the trophy pic or the pointing out of every detail that could be or has the possibility of being unsafe or maybe could be illegal not that it is but it could be if you look at it a certain way.

:yeah:

This for me as well. I never understood why people have to respond to posts publicly if the see something that might be amiss. Why not just send a pm to the poster and give them a chance to correct or change it, explain it, or remove it without making a big deal publicly.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:26:48 AM »
I love looking at your pics,Your pics are very good,I like looking at all the great pics that are posted to the forum.That said i dont post mainly because i thought to much was to much.if we all posted pics all the time would the system handle it?Resizing isnt for all of us,i have a few times but im just not computer savy ernough i guess.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:27:24 AM »

X2 on the nit picking.

I shot a nice (for me) decent 4X4 muley this last year.    Nothing for the record books, but I was very happy with it.   Kind of an average 4X4 in all aspects.     I actually thought twice about posting it, just because of nit pickers and nay sayers.    I ended up posting it, but I can understand why people don't.

A couple recent examples:
*  Bearpaw posted the 40' buck........   unreal pig of a buck.    It didn't take long for someone to suggest that a fence was involved.    By all indications, that was a free roaming deer.     Why take a cheap shot at someone like that, just because they're fortunate enough to hunt deer in Mexico?
*  That huge (Nevada?) governor's tag buck still in velvet.    Another buck of a lifetime.    And yet, it didn't take long for someone to say the hunter sure has long arms.    Again, why the need for cheap shots??

Can't there be simple decorum like don't take unwarranted cheap shots???????

THANK YOU for all you do to make this forum great.    It's still the best hunting forum I've ever found.     :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
Not friendly people. Tried helping over the years got burnt out.  Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
Not friendly people. Tried helping over the years got burnt out.  Rick

:yeah: :yeah:

Offline Pacific

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »
I have been a member for about 3 years and lurked for a couple before that. As you can see, I don't post much....this is my 75th post. I was surprised it was that many! That's just my personality in general....

I think Superdown hit the nail on the head and Dan-o expanded on it. Why subject myself to having my chops busted for some perceived faux pas....you know did I kill an animal or should I say harvested...did I put my tag on it while it was still twitching or did I wait 3 seconds too long, so someone figures they can maybe make 10 points on me  :dunno:

I will say that it appears to me that the overwhelming vast majority here are great people and a very few are the nit pickers
Even Duct Tape can't fix Stupid, but it CAN Muffle the Sound

You can't fix stupid, BUT it can be numbed with a 2x4...

Offline colersu22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
I was a lurker for a couple years before signing up for the forum.  I mainly like to read others hunting stories and seeing pictures like the multiple you post.

The thing I don't like about forums and all the social media is it seems like everyone needs to voice there opinions and is judgmental like mentioned above so I may read the thread but never share my opinion on them.  I only use a few forums but they are all pretty similar and you always have the guys that correct you when you are "wrong" or doing it a way they wouldn't. 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
Great point,Just look how the monster elk hit thread went,Blood was all wrong had to be poached etc until the facts kept coming in.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
I was a lurker for a couple years before signing up for the forum.  I mainly like to read others hunting stories and seeing pictures like the multiple you post.

The thing I don't like about forums and all the social media is it seems like everyone needs to voice there opinions and is judgmental like mentioned above so I may read the thread but never share my opinion on them.  I only use a few forums but they are all pretty similar and you always have the guys that correct you when you are "wrong" or doing it a way they wouldn't.
Yeah doing it wrong,Like the grammar police.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Pacific

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 11:28:22 AM »
For sure! Now I will freely admit that I'm not immune.....my first thought about the monster elk hit thread was that something didn't smell right....but that's what happens when you only have a little info....I've leaned over the years that it's best if I don't open my mouth and promptly jam my foot in  :chuckle:

Some people must like the taste of their own feet lol
Even Duct Tape can't fix Stupid, but it CAN Muffle the Sound

You can't fix stupid, BUT it can be numbed with a 2x4...

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 11:31:35 AM »
Great point,Just look how the monster elk hit thread went,Blood was all wrong had to be poached etc until the facts kept coming in.
   :yeah: take a look through the drone or wireless trail cam threads... train wrecks.
  I think much of the nit picking and badgering has to do with written communication vs verbal. I can explain something over the phone or in person much easier than typing it out. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]