collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lurkers.....Esteemed members  (Read 92869 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Lurkers.....Esteemed members
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:22 PM »
Thanks for the Suggestion Shawn.   Good move :tup:

Offline FWilliams

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2017, 01:59:35 PM »
positive changes happening  all over around here for sure :tup:  thanks to everyone involved.

Fred

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
ITs going to take the village but we are certainly unified in making a positive change

(eventhough I hate change, this one is good)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »
I didn't take the time to read all of these, but I post on here a lot less than I used to.  It has nothing to do with attacks, but more to do with content.

It was really fun when I found a group of people like me who hunted the same place.  Few hunting shows talk about hunting blacktail, or roosevelts, or the best way to get to Stehekin to hunt mule deer.  We are a relatively unique place.  Its not like we're hunting whitetail like everyone in middle America.  I also like building stuff, looking at trail camera pictures, trading information on special permit hunts.  I like to HUNT.

So many posts on here are political beyond the scope of hunting or outdoors.  Heck even threads like this where we focus on trying to get better... honestly feels like work or a bad relationship.  Those things aren't fun.  Talking about where to look for bears is fun.

I miss the days where people weren't afraid to post about hunting.  Their spots, their special permits, sharing their photos and trophies.  I think a large part of the issue is that so much of it is open to the internet public.  I WISH I could share what I know about Upper Smith Creek with this year's drawing recipient, but I don't want to post it up to the web, I want it here to people who have also given back.  I now post much less as I get less out of it.  Maybe the people I enjoy just post less too.  I don't really care if people are mean, but I do care if that means people don't post.

I just wish we could limit the audience to some of our details so that people weren't as afraid to share.  I have asked friends before posting "do you see any stupid illegal things in this pic" before posting.  I don't do illegal things, but I do take great care to make sure its right before it comes up.  HOWEVER, as long as our information is public, it reflects on the hunting community, so its not terrible to remind people if you see something mildly incorrect about a photo or post, but a PM is probably the appropriate place to do that.

Okay, rant over.  Maybe I just know more now.  I don't post on FB anymore either because most people that post there annoy me and I don't want to be like them.

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
I didn't take the time to read all of these, but I post on here a lot less than I used to.  It has nothing to do with attacks, but more to do with content.

It was really fun when I found a group of people like me who hunted the same place.  Few hunting shows talk about hunting blacktail, or roosevelts, or the best way to get to Stehekin to hunt mule deer.  We are a relatively unique place.  Its not like we're hunting whitetail like everyone in middle America.  I also like building stuff, looking at trail camera pictures, trading information on special permit hunts.  I like to HUNT.

So many posts on here are political beyond the scope of hunting or outdoors.  Heck even threads like this where we focus on trying to get better... honestly feels like work or a bad relationship.  Those things aren't fun.  Talking about where to look for bears is fun.

I miss the days where people weren't afraid to post about hunting.  Their spots, their special permits, sharing their photos and trophies.  I think a large part of the issue is that so much of it is open to the internet public.  I WISH I could share what I know about Upper Smith Creek with this year's drawing recipient, but I don't want to post it up to the web, I want it here to people who have also given back.  I now post much less as I get less out of it.  Maybe the people I enjoy just post less too.  I don't really care if people are mean, but I do care if that means people don't post.

I just wish we could limit the audience to some of our details so that people weren't as afraid to share.  I have asked friends before posting "do you see any stupid illegal things in this pic" before posting.  I don't do illegal things, but I do take great care to make sure its right before it comes up.  HOWEVER, as long as our information is public, it reflects on the hunting community, so its not terrible to remind people if you see something mildly incorrect about a photo or post, but a PM is probably the appropriate place to do that.

Okay, rant over.  Maybe I just know more now.  I don't post on FB anymore either because most people that post there annoy me and I don't want to be like them.

We are reading all suggestions and will take your ideas into consideration.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Hemlock

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #260 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »
Why won't you post?
I'm sure I can think of a dozen answers.  We are really trying to improve this place.  I'd love to hear from you why you don't post.  Maybe you used to, maybe you never have.  Even those of you who never do, I'd love to hear why.   It's not meant to argue or to pursuad, just trying to hear your reason.   Simple sentence will do.

Its better to be quiet and be thought of a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #261 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:40 PM »
Thank you Dale for the switch!  It is much appreciated!  I came up with that handle when I joined because it took about two seconds to think up and I had no intentions of being active so it really didn't matter.  Here we are almost a decade later :chuckle: 

Maybe a small suggestion to people that are going to do this though keep your avatar picture the same for a while until people Reef familiarize themselves with your name. I know when I'm skimming I catch Avatar pictures as easily as I do screen names. Will just help people to recognize you if they don't know your name.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
Hmmm. 

Tired of negative bashing.

Tired of conspiracy theories.

Tired of lack of civility in a disagreement.

Tired of native bashing.

Tired of apathy towards conservation, and tired of apathetic attitudes towards the image we portray to non hunters.

Tired of people ripping new members for their posts.

Like Jonathan, I rarely log in anymore.  I happened to get a PM notification and was responding to it when I saw this thread.

Thank you for soliciting the input.  Changing a culture is never easy, and sometimes it's just easier to go somewhere else. 
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #263 on: August 16, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
Hmmm. 

Tired of negative bashing.

Tired of conspiracy theories.

Tired of lack of civility in a disagreement.

Tired of native bashing.

Tired of apathy towards conservation, and tired of apathetic attitudes towards the image we portray to non hunters.

Tired of people ripping new members for their posts.

Like Jonathan, I rarely log in anymore.  I happened to get a PM notification and was responding to it when I saw this thread.

Thank you for soliciting the input.  Changing a culture is never easy, and sometimes it's just easier to go somewhere else.
Rest assured, changing the culture is the mission. Any help from veteran members is also highly appreciated.  :tup:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
I'm optimistic about the new direction.  On a positive note, I looked at my ignore list for the first time in years, and it is empty, which I take to mean the members I put there are no longer members.  So, even without the current and future improvements, the worst offenders do get sent down the road.  It was a very small list, probably only 2-3 total, but the benefits of not seeing their posts made the forum SO much better.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
I'm optimistic about the new direction.  On a positive note, I looked at my ignore list for the first time in years, and it is empty, which I take to mean the members I put there are no longer members.  So, even without the current and future improvements, the worst offenders do get sent down the road.  It was a very small list, probably only 2-3 total, but the benefits of not seeing their posts made the forum SO much better.

I think that's a big part of it, ignoring the worst people until they get themselves banned permanently. For a long time I disliked the idea of blocking people because that seems like an immature way to deal with problems but then when I reconsidered the idea that many people only exist on here to create waves, I'll change that opinion. Still good to see them nuked because their presence affects the big picture negatively.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
Big fan of nuking personally!  If you can't play well with others and you bring down the morale of the team then you must go in my opinion.  Dale doesn't owe us anything it would have been far easier for him to just pull the plug but he didn't. We all owe it to him to do better.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »
We have nuked two today already.  Its not a bragging thing, just a point that the crud has to stop, and we aren't going to argue about it.  Negotiations are over.....

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #268 on: August 16, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »
We have nuked two today already.  Its not a bragging thing, just a point that the crud has to stop, and we aren't going to argue about it.  Negotiations are over.....

:tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2017, 05:27:03 AM »
Sounds like it
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Ollin digiscope by bearpaw
[Today at 03:35:51 AM]

Suppressor Background check delayed by Dan-o
[Yesterday at 09:40:26 PM]

F150 Key Fobs Stopped? by elksnout
[Yesterday at 09:01:05 PM]

Great deal on a Trijicon scope by pickardjw
[Yesterday at 08:37:52 PM]

No-Glow trail cam? by Face72
[Yesterday at 08:35:18 PM]